# of Valeo's? | FerrariChat

# of Valeo's?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Burch1, Jun 11, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Greetings,
    Does anyone have a source for determining how many Valeo's were imported into the US?
    I have seen "a couple handful" and "less than 30" listed in some specs but nothing definite.
    Also, what the opinion on this car becoming a desirable collectors car in the future due to the low numbers (Valeo specifically).
    Thanks,
    Burch1

2. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Hank should chime in soon. He is the valeo guy. I think the number is around 9 for the US.

3. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I'm going to speak to collectability without having any authority or knowledge. Just my worthless opinion.

It has a uniqueness factor. If I was putting together a Ferrari museum with many Ferraris I would like to have one in there as it's an interesting "gap" technology. The F1 trans put an end to the Valeo I think.

As a driver they tend to scare people away because there are so few of them and so few mechanics that have worked on them. However from my talking to people who have direct experience with them the technology is solid and hasn't had much in the way of failures.

Not to different in form from the VW beetle auto stick or the Porsche product from the same generation, when was that, late 60's early 70's?

They are great cars, ultimately I'm not sure there will be a huge premium or discount off any other Mondial.

The Mondial generally hasn't come into a collectable position in my opinion. There are newer cars that are valuable for that reason, there are classics which have value for that reason and then there are old Ferraris. Right now the Mondial is old. As with the 3X8, when a significant number of the cars have been restored or are time capsules we will know they are collectable.

I'm speaking from the perspective of someone in the states. This could vary. And they are all still every bit a Ferrari. People who don't know all models only recognize the name and horse and are in awe and take many pictures. It's a special car with a halo around it for the general public.