OBD II Scanners | FerrariChat

OBD II Scanners

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RBK, Jul 4, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If I understand correctly virtually all cars including the Ferrari 458 have OBD II connectors permitting (some level of ) diagnostics. I am now rapidly getting in over my head.

I am wondering.
    Can I buy one scanner for both a Porsche and Ferrari?

Is hooking up a scanner easy or complicated? Where exactly ( a picture would help) do you hook it up?

Is using a scanner straightforward?

What is the most user friendly and best scanner for non mechanically inclined people to use, regardless of cost? Where can I purchase one?

Incidentally, this began with a unique problem with my 2012 Twin Turbo Porsche. On two occassions, I found myself with a dashboard gone wild with blinking lights and the transmission going into neutral even thought the gear indicator showed drive. I took it to a dealer but because the car had been turned on and off, I believe it "reset". I thought if this happens again and I carry a OBD with me and do not turn off the engine, I might discover an error code, offering the dealer something to work with. My 2012 Ferrari 458 has been trouble free but who knows if/when a diagnostic tool might come in handy, so two birds with one stone. Best

2. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #2 leead1, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
    I bought a scanner at Autozone only $39 and it is easy easy to use and full function

Very easy only two buttons

I believe all cars sold in America must have the plug in.
    Old cars may not and I do not know when it was mandated. My 54 and 65 vettes do not have the plug in
    On mine you push the "read" button. It reminds you to turn the ignition on if you forget or tells you what to do for the read function
    You can then read what turned on your "service" light.
    You then push the "erase" button to shut the light off
    The plug is on the floor of the drivers seat, right side
    The plug size is maybe 1 inch long and 1/2 inch wide
    There maybe a time before they became standard size
    When you buy a unit the back of the package may tell what years, not sure tho

good luck :)

Lee

3. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My cars are 2012's so it appears it would work. Helpful, thanks.

4. gasterus

gasterus Karting

Oct 6, 2005
    Asia
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Hi Lee, do you a pic of the obd socket on the 458? Just bought an obd2 scanner from autozone :)

5. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    It should be located on the drivers seat floor. Most plugs are on the right side wall in the drivers seat. I suppose they could be on the left side drivers seat wall.

On my Turbo 911 Porsche and the Mosler they are right side drivers seat wall, right side.

Your autozone plug is a male, you are looking for the female recepticle. The size is just about the size as the auro zone plug in. I estimate 1 1/2 inches long and 1/2 wide or so. Of course it is flush like an electric plug recepticle

My 458 is at my car storage as I write this. I am tied up Sunday with freinds. I will go to the 458 on Monday and look for it so I can tell you better how to find it. If someone can post it for me I will try to take a picture of the plug,

Sorry you are having a problem.

Lee

6. gasterus

gasterus Karting

Oct 6, 2005
    Asia
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Hi Lee, i'm not having any problem with my car. But i have a catbypass pipe installed, i guess the check engine light will be trigger soon :)

7. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have a cable that attaches to my iPhone and an app on my phone that is an OBD scanner. The cable was $100, works great.

8. keisuko

keisuko Rookie

Dec 2, 2010
    Do have obd tester to reset the service light?

9. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    What is the name of the app and where did you get the cable??

SV

10. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The app is goLINK.
    http://gopointtech.com/

11. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Many thanks!

SV

12. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    #12 ELP_JC, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
    As with every product, you get what you pay for. I'd buy the best one, or you'll end up throwing it away and buying a better one later on. Better to buy one just once :D.

Bought one myself a month ago. After doing all the research, from the 2 top-of-the-line models, chose the INNOVA 3160 based on its much better reviews, now that it includes a USB cable (it was extra before). It also reads ABS and SRS codes (not from all cars, but many). And it also displays 'live data', which many times is very beneficial. The difference from cheaper models is this one is very easy to use, and everything is shown on the screen. Bought it at Amazon for $198 shipped. Hope this helps.

13. YellowF50

YellowF50 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    K B
    #13 YellowF50, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
    Regarding which cars have the On Board Diagnosis plug in Europe I believe it was law for all manufacturers to have the plug fitted to new cars so they cannot hold customers to ransom for plugging in machine allowing independant garages a chance at the competition for work. And this has been the case since 1996 I think.

I was under the impression that the USA had the same law prior to Europe.

Although I think some use of this plug is going to be restricted in the not to distant future after insurance companies that thought they didn't have to pay out on stolen cars without keys was impossible but then saw this video, I think it has something to do with keyless start/entry.

Not gone in 60 seconds but 3 mins is close enough.

Article by piston heads for those that have not seen it. http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=25953

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DshK4ZXPU9o&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

14. F-Nut

F-Nut Karting

Nov 30, 2008
    Farmington, MI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    To shed a little light on this, yes any obdII code reader will work on your car to an extent.

There are several "generic" codes that all cars in the US use. There are other manufacture specific codes that the code reader cannot understand or show you. In this case a factory scan tool or very high end aftermarket scanner is required.

15. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I began this thread seeking help solving the following problem, and presuming a OBD II Scanner would do the trick.

My 2012 Twin Turbo Porsche has evidenced flashing dashboard (blinking) lights and on one occassion, the transmission acted as though I had depressed a (non existant third pedal) clutch, with the result being no change in the gear indicator but nothing happenig when depressing the accelerator. A dangerous situation, requiring me to pull the car over and restart it and presumably "reset" the computer.

After input to date I still do not know if an OBD II Scanner will help.

I believe the way to find out what the problem is , should it happen again, is to have a scanner with me to check immediately rather than risk shutting the motor off and losing the error code.

After reading about scanners, I am confused.

A. Will a scanner help? Their use seems to be limited to ABS and Emissions only.

B. If A presumed then what scanner will work with Porsche?

Thank you

16. csteve

csteve Karting

May 6, 2006
    hong kong
    Full Name:
    steve chang
    Finding OBD2 port on Ferrari 458 was very easy. It is located under the steering wheel column on the driver side of the vehicle with a plastic cover on it. However, the OBD2 scanner (tried 2 different scanners) was unable to read the error code and was able to delete the error code. Does anyone know why?

17. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    can ferraris be stolen vie obd port hacks? anything to worry about?