OBD II Code help - Pending vs Logged? | FerrariChat

OBD II Code help - Pending vs Logged?

Discussion in '348/355' started by TrojanFan, May 14, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Can anyone tell me the difference between "Pending" and "Logged" faults on a code reader?

I need to take my car in for an emission check for registration and unfortunately I have to take it to another state to do so (350 miles each way) so I want to make sure everything is looking good before I go. The only light I have on is for a bad actuator. No CEL's at all.

I connected a new code reader and it did not show any "logged" faults but it did come up with 2 "pending" faults.

In this case does pending mean that the ECU is sensing a potential future problem but not one now? I am getting pending codes P1451 and P0410. Would these pending faults be an issue for an emission check?

Can anyone give me information on the 2 codes? In looking them up, I see that P1451 is listed as Secondary Air Pump and P0410 is listed as Secondary Air Injection. Both would seem to have emission implications.

2. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    #2 Extreme, May 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had one of the codes after a recent excursion in the engine bay…Come to find out I had accidentally knocked a vacuum connection loose on the pump.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Still wondering on the "Pending" vs "Logged" fault question. Does pending mean that it isn't technically a fault yet and as such should not cause an emission test problem?

4. YAMVS6

YAMVS6 Karting

Jan 26, 2011
    ohio
    Pending codes wont fail emission test,as long as All OBD test are complete in engine ECU

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Try Google!

6. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Most codes require a consecutive series of faults before they light the CEL.

So if, say, an O2 sensor needs three consecutive faults before the CEL and only 1 or 2 are recorded, the code is pending.

7. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Great. That's all I need. No CEL's now but I can just imagine that when the car starts for the emission test, that's the one that pushes it over the limit!

8. Aiden

Aiden Karting

Mar 13, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Aiden Naughton
    You should have a function on the OBD II reader for "IM Readiness" in the main menu which will tell you if your systems are "OK" or "INC". In CA you are allowed 1 "INC" and can still pass smog. If you have all systems reading "OK" you are all good. One "INC" and you are alright. Two or more "INC" and you will not pass. Sometimes its just a matter of driving further if you have recently cleared a code to transition from "INC" to "OK".