Nissan 300zx | FerrariChat

Nissan 300zx

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by stax, Oct 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stax

stax Karting

May 30, 2004
    toronto, montreal
    Full Name:
    --
    i was looking at getting one of these.... there a real nice with not too much wear that i saw up here in canada. anybody know about any reliablity issues with them. also anybody have any suggestions for some rims for it. i was thinking 18" should be good. any help would be nice

2. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have looked at them recently but I didn't want to spend any of the Ferrari savings. If I were buying one I would try to find one that is as close to stock as possible and pay more for one that is. There are too many 16 year olds kids that don't have the knowledge or $$$ modify or maintain them properly. Good luck with your search.

3. PaulfromPA

PaulfromPA Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Lancaster, PA
    Full Name:
    Paul Grabowski
    I could share my limited knowledge on Z's, but your best bet is going here: http://www.300zxforums.com/index.php?

They are a great value for a reasonably fast and reliable (think 350z territory bone stock) and fun grandtourer/sports car. However, if you are looking for a car to work on yourself and enjoy... the cramped engine bay does discourage tinkering. The best advice I can suggest is making sure that it has replaced turbos. They are many times over 10 years old and should be replaced by now. The job is costly and requires pulling the engine so its not something really fun. Best of luck and welcome to the Nissan family!!

4. mdoan300

mdoan300 Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael
    http://www.twinturbo.net

The non-turbos have a timing belt maintenance every 100k while the twin turbos have a timing belt maintenance every 60k. It involves $350 worth of parts and 6-8 hours worth of labor. I'd find a reputable [Nissan] mechanic to perform this service as the engine is interference by design.

The VG series V-6 used in the 300ZX was Nissan's bread and butter 6 cylinder stateside in the 80's and 90's (the VQ series is Nissan's current bread and butter V-6). IIRC, the X-Terra still uses a SOHC flavor of this engine (however, that will soon change w/ the 05 X-Terra).

If acceleration is not an issue, then I would opt for the non-turbo. It's just simpler w/ less parts. However, if you insist on purchasing a twin turbo, then I would recommend getting a compression test (w/ leakdown) performed as well as the routine ECU diagnostic, PPI, and CarFax.

The only recall that I recall is the power transistor unit on 90 models.

Michael.

5. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    I sold mine last year after 3 years, it was a twin turbo 2 plus 2 UK model. It was 100% reliable and never gave me any problems apart from the rear diff oil cooler failed two years ago. It was a 1998 model and i put 18s on it with 265 tyres. It was one of the most enjoyable cars i have driven, it was an auto and powerfull with around 280 bhp and would top out at around 160-170 easy.It was fab on sunny days with the roof sections removed, Great car.What an engine, shames alot of more expensive cars including ferraris(engine wise) so quite so smooth .A frend of mine had a standard Jap import 300zx but had to have it unrestricted from 112mph, he sent it to the Z shop and had a reliable 500hp, but his car was manual,he also fitted a Veilside body kit, not my bag but still looked great.

6. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL

You and I see things differently regarding this. A car like that that is 8 to 12 years old (but still desirable) is not going to depreciate anymore. That is the PERFECT car to buy if you are saving for an f-car!

7. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thats a good point, maybe I should start picking these kinds of cars up and flipping them a bit. Sometimes I have a hard time taking my eye off of the ball.

8. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    Even if you don't make money, you get to enjoy yourself while you're saving. There is a big advantage to NOT buying new cars.

9. sinbon

sinbon Karting

May 16, 2004
    Petaluma, CA/SLO,CA
    Full Name:
    Bobby Boinski
    [​IMG]
    A pic of mine. It has a full stillen body kit, new paint, and lots of engine/suspension upgrades. I ran a 13.2 in it and its a great all around car for the price. If you know how to pull a wrench you can do anything in this car pretty much that needs repairing short of swapping out turbos (engine needs pulling) otherwise its relativley straightforward, it just takes longer than with a standard car. If it's the car you want I'd say go for it, but if the car doesnt speak o you I would keep saving for a ferarri. Properly maintained these cars are beasts though.

10. stax

stax Karting

May 30, 2004
    toronto, montreal
    Full Name:
    --
    thx for all the info guy
    right now i'm only thinking of saving for a ferrari
    i'm only 17 and i just want something to get me around with some class
    up here in canada, i don't see to many of 'em around and i though it would be a unique car, plus how can you say no to that sweet twin turbo engine
    neways thx a lot for the info guy keep it coming
    if anybody has any nice pics with details, cuz i do play to do some work on it, please post

thx
    vijeet

11. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Quick point the last 300xzs were made in 1999. Brand new ones sometimes come on the market, in the uk new ones that come up sell for £20,000 plus. So they are as young or as old as the 355s.

12. sinbon

sinbon Karting

May 16, 2004
    Petaluma, CA/SLO,CA
    Full Name:
    Bobby Boinski