Next project idea's | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Next project idea's

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by texasmr2, Sep 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Follow the other sheep or be a pioneer?

1. Maximum of 500rwhp?

2. Shoot for the stars and 1000rwhp?

3. Why would anyone want that much hp?

4. Go for it simply because you can!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #26 texasmr2, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Switching things up a bit. I'm gonna purchase the following intake manifold from the same shop and disregard the twin plenum. On top of that IF I get the reply I am hoping to get I will soon be purchasing my Hydra Nemesis standalone ems and it will run parallel with my stock ecu so I do not loose any stock functions.

Boys and their toys lol!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #27 texasmr2, Dec 4, 2011
    I spoke to soon because that is not the intake I'll have but I will attach a few pics of it being built.

I figured I would keep you guys and gals more up to date with my project because there are alot of children or adults who act like children on the Miata forums. They are also just a bunch of followers who shoot down progressive thinking and idea's from people like me. Also the experienced members of this forum could give me great input and feedback without being condescending.

Anyway here are my thoughts...

1. I will be utilizing a liquid to air IC instead of just your average everyday air to air IC. I will be going with a PWR barrel design because of its compactness.

2. Now here is were it starts to get fun and original and where I could use some input and advice. I'm thinking about having the builder of the manifold weld 4 additional injector bungs into the runners and then installing a small racing fuel cell in the trunk for race gas. This way when I get lets say past 10-12 psi I can have the EMS control the race gas and hell 8 injectors on a small 1.8ltr would look cool also, lol.

Manifold under construction:

3. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    the only prob with a second set of injectors, is that only one set will be proerly inline with the intake valve......would look cool, but why not use a typical switch-over for the race tank, and in the manifold you could install bungs for water injections? (which do't have to be inline the same way)

4. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Or a meth injection setup like others use. My main goal for this project is to do things that are not of the norm in the Miata kingdom but still have a reliable 400-600hp daily driver. I'm gonna study the feasability of the additional injectors idea as I have plenty of time. My projected up and running date is about another 2yr's away anywho so I'm in no rush.

5. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    okay, gotcha...thats kool! :)

i've seen 1 or 2 widebody miata's which look nice when done up....lots of turbo miata\s out there.....the well built wankel engined miata's are cool too

6. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Most of the turbo'd Miata's out there are running a Flyin Miata or BEGi (Corky Bell Engineering) kit that will get you a reliable 200-250+rwhp which makes for one hella fast Miata but there is no originality in them.

Once I start working again I might just buy another Miata for the project so that way I can go balls out on it and go where no man has gone before lol!!

7. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #32 JeremyJon, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

ya, i meant that those are each 'been there, done that' miata mods

have you seen a well done ITBs on miata? going a bit old school (still with reliable mod-tech) would be kool....something like a variation on the ol' datsun racing 510s kinda thing, or 911 2.7 light-weight thing??

for me, i'd love to take a more-or-less stock looking miata to the extreme (street usable) variation of it's inspiration, a compact, "ultra-light weight" (cf panels OEM looking), simple-supurb-handling sportscar (zero-bump steer, ohlin shocks, carbon-ceramic brakes)....kind of a "if mazda build a no cost/compromises miata" thing!?

:)

8. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    An ITB setup would be sweet but cannot get anywhere near the hp #'s I want.

9. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #34 JeremyJon, Dec 4, 2011
  10. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    As long as I breath air and have any say so I will never bastardize such a great chassis with an american lump especially when I can build an I4 that will eat those lumps for lunch.

11. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    LOL yes, agreed....i was pull'n ya leg maun! :)

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Yes I know that.. Funny thing is some of the Miata owners who have performed that swap say it only add's around 150lb's which is not alot but it is all in front thus would imho lead too a plowing pig. I respect anyone who takes on such projects so I'm not hatin one bit but damn 150 extra pounds in a 2500lb vehicle with a perfect 50/50 weight distribution is alot imo. I'm chancing an estimate of gained weight for my turbo project and I put it at between 50lbs-80lbs total.

13. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    agreed.....IMO the lump wrecks the whole spiritual "lotus" intent of the car.....will be interesting to see how yours unfolds :)

14. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Thank you and as mentioned I'm doing this right so atleast 2yr's from now before any significant progress/drives are made, she's my lady in waiting lol!!

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    For those in Houston who might have been following this thread I could use just alittle assistance. I want to change my tranny and diff fluids and already have them but after purchasing a jack and 4 stands I still could barely fit under the car. So if anybody here with a lift is in the Christmas spirit could we arrange something???

Thanks all,
    Gregg

16. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Anyone????

17. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #42 texasmr2, Jan 24, 2012
    A local Fchat friend has offered their help so I'm good for the tranny/diff thing.

You know I'm considering a different path than just building another Miata engine as I would like to incorporate the Miata chassis with an engine I dearly love and that would be a Lotus 2.0 turbo motor. So here is the plan of attack and any help I can get locating parts wourld be greatly appreciated. Firstly I just need to locate a block and then acquire parts until I have a complete engine and the only change will be forged rods/pistons and turbo all controlled by an aftermarket EMS.

The engine will naturally be a build over time but help in locating a block stateside if not in Houston would help get the ball rolling.

Thanks,
    G

ps, How sweet would it be to see something like this (pic courtesy of another Fchat member) transplanted into a Miata??

18. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Well I have decided that I am going to carry on Mazda specific with my project so I purchased another '99 NB block today. The block is being given one more "once over" before it is cleaned up and shipped so the next step will be finding a head and crankshaft, oh yah and and engine stand.

19. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I have raced Miatas for years, both SM and a turbo version largely of my own concoction. I assume you are on a budget and my Turbo cars need reliable powerplants to make good power and still live through endurance races and general track brutality.

I cannot emphasize highly enough to simply buy a stock 1.8 liter engine (I use the 1995 flavor, but there is a lot of interchangeablity). They are very robust and live with 12 psi of boost in a race environment just fine. Building another engine is so fraught with risk that I simply won't do it on a Miata due to it simply not being worth it on such a modest car. Besides, I defy you to get a turbo Miata to run cool in Texas heat at race pace beyond about 230 rwhp.

My Turbo race car has a 60,000 boneyard engine in it that has lived through two endurance races, many sprint races and countless track sessions at MSR. My buddy's built Miata engine catastrophically failed after 15 minutes apprently due to an assembly error.

20. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #45 texasmr2, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
    So your opinion of a rebuilt engine is based upon your buddy's experience? My personal experience says your just paranoid.

1. My car will not be a track car but a daily driver.

2. My goal is quite abit above a stock engines internal capabilities.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh3s4rDQgJI[/ame]

3. I have resources at hand that will help me attain my goal.

4. I am no newbie to such endeavours as I have been doing this for almost 25yrs.

5. Its my money.

6. If innovation is quashed where is the fun in that?

21. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #46 Wade, Feb 27, 2012
    Ya know... the current look amongst the Fart Can Crew is "The Stance". It's for Driftin'

22. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    My 'stance' is stock ie stealth.

I was 'drifting' in '85 which is atleast 10+yrs before it was even recognized on the US shore's, I just don't like to brag.

So I'll acquire the block and then the head and crank and take them to my friends shop for evaluation first. Then I will know if I can stay with stock displacement pistons/rings or need to go say .20 over and after that acquire the appropriate Eagle rods and JE pistons/ring set and then take my friends advice as the build continues.

Be happy for me as I know what I'm doing and projects are fun.

23. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    If you are going to reject ideas, then don't ask for them. For DD service, you can almost certainly go much higher in peak horsepower as reliability and cooling should not suffer too much. My experience with many engine builders of many different engines has been very spotty. I have had many events of infant mortality in many different engines and I had my engine builder build my buddy's turbo miata engine (past experience did not equal results on that one). My experience is what it is, over 100 SM sprint races, 6 or so endurance races and hundreds of hours racing or driving at strong pace in a Turbo Miata. I've probably had built and/or worked on building 20+ engines, from Ford 351C, to SBC, Toyota 2zz, and many Miata engines. Every variety has had catastrophic problems within a few hours of startup on at least one occasion, some at my hand but most at the hands of professional builders. If you can DIY and do it right on internal engine work, then go for it. I don't have the time, tools, experience or clean room to build engines, so I don't even try to do it anymore and try not to have it done any more than I have to. It is a big setback to have to pull and disassemble or replace an engine.
    Finally, a project is not fun for me unless it gets finished and is affordable to actually drive. Just ideas to expedite and reduce costs. I have experienced and seen many a project that gets out of hand and never gets done or breaks the bank.

24. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I do appreciate your input Keith and I apologize for my snide remark ;) . Certainly your experience aswell as input and advice are great and I may ask you for advice sometime during the build, if I may?

As I mentioned I am fortunate enough to have a friend who owns a shop that has all the goodies as he builds street and race engines and has for over 30yrs, he even has some F1 experience. He is going to let me house the engine in his shop and help guide me through the build aswell he has alot of Miata engine building experience. Last time we talked he had just finished building an almost 400rwhp daily driver Miata. Also as I have mentioned before it will be a slow build with nothing but the best parts used and I will be running a standalone ems aswell, heck he teachs ems training on most of the better ems's on the market and is also a dealer for a few. My friend also has two dyno's, one 2wd and one 4wd capable. It should be fun and I'm excited about it.

Thanks again Keith,
    Gregg

25. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Sounds like a unique set of resources and opportunity - tell us how it progresses.