Next project idea's | FerrariChat

Next project idea's

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by texasmr2, Sep 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Follow the other sheep or be a pioneer?

1. Maximum of 500rwhp?

2. Shoot for the stars and 1000rwhp?

3. Why would anyone want that much hp?

4. Go for it simply because you can!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #1 texasmr2, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
    I'm foolishly starting to think about another project car so I will just offer a few idea's I have at this time yet nothing is set in stone.

1. 1st gen Miata with a built/turbocharged engine. I have driven stock Miata's and the only thing missing was hp.

2. 2nd Gen MR2 of which I'm no stranger but been there/done that so I'm looking for an original concept.

3. Porsche 944 ie 951/952 with a stroker/turbo, max hp with a great chassis and profile.

Opinions greatly appreciated,
    Gregg

ps, I was thunking about stuffing a V12 into a small chassis but the cost and build process time/money would be rediculous for a reliable 400+rwhp 'daily driver' if I took that route.

2. Reece

Reece Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2010
    MMMMMMinneapolis
    Full Name:
    Reece Mikkelson
    Do the Miata, that would be cool.

3. NWaterfall

NWaterfall Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2009
    The Track
    Full Name:
    Waterfall
  4. RoadRacer

RoadRacer Formula Junior

May 7, 2006
    SoCal / SoFla
    Full Name:
    Griff W
  5. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I have seen that E30 in person at a C&C here in MD. It is amazing. And it sounds better than it looks!

6. Champboat/Champcar

Champboat/Champcar Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    #6 Champboat/Champcar, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
    How about a Miata with a 3 rotor 20 B rotary , ported of course , triple webers or turbo and fuel injected . or how about a 944 with a small block chevy + turbo posi transaxle , somebody makes a kit for that i think , the rotary miata would be pretty much bolt in . both would be very fun cars. heres one i built, a 1969 Porsche 911 or 912 powered by a bridgeport 12 a rotary and stock 901 transaxle , it was a great car , i built 3 .

7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Sleeper 912 would put witnesses in fetal position, crying softly & speaking incoherently. An anecdote about one was posted 5-6 years ago. All I recall is, it wailed.

8. Ferdman

Ferdman Rookie

Aug 31, 2006
    Go with #3, the 944, but use one of the newer GM LSx engines rather than the SBC. The LSx motors put only 50 extra lbs onto the car being that these motors are aluminum blocks and heads as opposed to the cast iron SBC. 944s are known for their handling, but imagine one with three times the horsepower from stock. The only way you'd be able to tell that this car is different is the exhaust note. You'll bring a lot of people who go up against you to tears, and many in this forum.

Seeing that you're in Texas (yeah, I now Texas is a huge state) there's a business that specializes in this conversion. It's called texasperformanceconcepts dot com. There's another forum that all they do are 944 hybrids. I think it's linked to the one above.

This is going to be my next project which I've been eyeing for some time now.

9. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Regardless of the chassis I choose it will be a turbocharged combustion (non rotary) 4-cylinder. I had a few crazy idea's such as a V12 swap but then all handling aspects would be lost, no nose heavy pigs for this carnivore. If I can find an unmolested/unwrecked 944
    chassis/car I'm 99% certain I will either stroke & turbo the engine or just build a 3SGTE for it.

10. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    How about building a turbo rally car for the street? Ford Fiesta maybe?

11. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    That is something I have been thinking about in a sense as I'm considering a Gen I or II Mitsu GSX as the 4G63 is as good as the 3SGTE and finding a Toyota Celica GT-Four All-Trac Turbo would be rather difficult (although there is one that I know of here in Houston).
    Another rather obscure consideration is a Mazda 323 GTX. Although all the vehicles discussed are great I'm still heavily leaning towards the 1st Gen Miata as they are very very inexpensive and I could focus more ($) on the engine/chassis/suspension.

Still just a pipe dream at the moment but hopefully not for long.

Thanks for the input everyone,
    Gregg

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #12 texasmr2, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well the decision has been made and fortunately I will/can use this vehicle as a very reliable daily driver and save on insurance aswell. It is a '99 'Twilight Blue Mica' Miata with 95K on clock and imho in very good condition considering the year. I will be doing an even swap tomorrow (KBB value of my current vehicle) and I once worked for this dealership so I know firsthand the quality of work they do and I know I can trust them.

Not the actual car but it is identical in every aspect.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Reece

Reece Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2010
    MMMMMMinneapolis
    Full Name:
    Reece Mikkelson
    Manual right? And a rotary in that car would be beyond epic.

14. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #14 texasmr2, Oct 5, 2011
    Well picked her up Monday and love it and so far I only have one small dislike. I am 5'11 so even with the seat all the way back my right knee rides against the tranny tunnel. Here are a few pics along with a story concerning the last two. I was returning from a friends ranch in Needville heading north on the Grand Parkway ie 99 (around 8am) where the speed limit is 60mph and I had been watching some idiot behind me for the past mile or so.

Now it gets good as I was passing a slower vehicle doing 55mph said idiot gets so close even his headlights were not visible, it was as if he was in my backseat if I had one. I motion for him to back off and then he proceeds to bump me twice damaging my rear bumper cover!!!!! I immediately got 911 on the phone and gave them the make/model and plate number then I exited and pulled over waiting for a deputy and filed a police report. About 3pm the deputy contacts me and said he spoke with the driver who admitted to the officer he shot me the finger and cut me off but he denied any contact WTF!!!!
    The driver in actuality ran from the sce

I would have loved to been able to follow him and see his face when I approached his vehicle with a badge and pistol on my hip yet I am still waiting for my background check to be completed at a local PD. I have some paperwork to drop off at the dealership today completeing my transaction with the salesman who also happens to be one of the owners son's. I am going to ask him if he can give me a written statement testifying that the damage did not previously exist.

So to make a long story short I am either going to get the damage repaired and possibly a new paint job.

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #15 texasmr2, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
    Well the performance bug was just in hibernation as I am already researching performance upgrades although I am impressed with the stock package. My plan is to focus on the suspension and brakes first and then decide what path I will take with the engine but I will be boosting the car eventually. I surfed the Flyin Miata website today as they are the most advanced Miata upgrade people I know of but knowing me I will put together my own turbo package just as I did with my MR2T.

The engine bay will be a 'walk in the park' compared to the MR2T but I'm looking forward to greasy hand's and bleeding knuckle's again lol. I'm also excited about the saving's I have recieved on insurance as I added 'uninsured motorist' to my full coverage policy yet I am still saving $20/month.

16. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    OT but was the motor in your MR2 the Toyota 2ZZ? Was it difficult to boost?

17. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    The turbo model here in the US ran a 3SGTE, (T) standing for turbo.

18. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    wouldn't it be easier to just drop a stock ap1 S2000 engine and 6 speed into the miata and perhaps consider adding a supercharger after your pants dried out....?

19. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I love the S2000 engine but the Mazda 1.6 is an iron block with a decent flowing head so I'm thinking simplicity. The S2000 would require an ecu and harness aswell as (maybe) some modifications such as engine/tranny mounts etc etc. One thing I have realized over the past few days is how quick the Miata is with barely 100rwhp. Oh I almost forgot that I am not a S/C fan simply because your boost limit is determined by your pulley.

One thing great about this car is that I can get the suspension upgraded and attend 'Miata Spec' series events at MSR when possible. I just got the car so all is mearly just speculation at this point but hey I'm smiling with every mile.

20. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #20 texasmr2, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
    Turn's out the driver of the vehicle who hit me was/is uninsured so I want to persue a legal 'small claims' suit against him, I need advice!!!!!

21. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Anywho I have a friend who owns a very reputable bodyshop here and he said don't even worry about it so I have decided not to persue any legal action against the driver who hit me, karma is a ***** and he will eventually get what he deserves.

So back to my ZOOM ZOOM project, I have recently purchased a K&N cone filter to replace the stock airbox and will soon be installing Eibach performance springs. The next mod will be a Corky Bell 2.5" turbo muffler in preparation for my built turbo motor/monster.

22. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Awesome project...Love my miata, while the motor is stock, it makes a great track car.

23. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #23 texasmr2, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
    I wanted to go Spec racing until I found out all that it entails and since this is my DD I was not willing to strip the interior etc etc. I know exactly where I want to go with this project and that is somewhere in the 400-500rwhp range but for now I'm just adding the basic bolt-on's and then start on a motor. I'm in no rush either so the final product is probably atleast 1-2yr's away.

In all reality it would be less expensive to just buy another kart but since I cannot commute in one..... lol.

24. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #24 texasmr2, Nov 5, 2011
    So moving on I thought I would share (please don't ask me why) the look I am going to clone. I'm not certain how the wheel/tire combo will look without the skirts but I like it alot, what do ya think?? Yes I'm installing what some call a 'fart can' but from experience I know they have a deep mellow sound. Aswell some may ask why such wide rims/tires and all I can say is that I dig the look and down the road I might want to go with a widebody look.

25. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #25 texasmr2, Nov 12, 2011
    Update: Well I found a shop that builds custom parts for Miata's so I thought I would share pics of the exhaust and intake manifold I will be purchasing in preparation for my forged and boosted engine. Oh and I have made the decision to go with the rims I had on my SC300.

The exhaust manifold pic is off another car but I will get the first intake manifold from him (the pic is just a mockup and not a production example, his welding skills can be seen via this pic of one of his downpipes.