New Sub Forums in Racing & Tracking? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

New Sub Forums in Racing & Tracking?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by rob lay, Dec 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    If there is demand for a separate Challenge sub forum go for it.
    Please leave the rest alone as it is more fan based it seems than driver/owner oriented.

2. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    I would love separate Challenge and Sports Car forums, F1 is just WAY to big for one general thread.

3. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #53 tuttebenne, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
    Is Challenge cars a "racing forum" or a group of models? What will the dialogue be? If its "who uses what rollbar padding" or "my challenge car won't start after washing it", these aren't about racing. I am curious to know how much "racing" chat will be in the proposed Challenge section versus "gender-specific" discussion related to the fact that the cars are challenge cars. JMO

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    well, Challenge car owners that don't race or track have nothing to talk about. all the Challenge threads I have started in past year were technical or racing related, but they get pushed out to 2nd page quickly with all the F1 threads.

5. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I say give F1 its own subsection so I don't have to wade through all the F1 hate this/hate that threads to get to stuff on IRL ALMS, NASA, etc.

Although, if the trend Honda has started with pulling out of F1 and the possibility of others following, it could be moot.

6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I also sent Rob an email about a Ferrari specific Racing thread.
    This is Ferrarichat after all. The vintage racing Ferrari's all get put under vintage right now, mixed in with vintage production cars. The new race cars have nothing. Modern Ferrari F1 and GT/prototype(333SP) cars have no area other than general tracking/racing or supercars. You can stick GT cars under the production models area, but then its hard to find. I would put the new section above Vintage Ferrari and have two sections for now, F1 and sportscars/prototypes/GT. If it needs it you could break it up again into modern and vintage. This is the most inportant part of Ferrari heritage. Racing made the company into what it is today. It deserves its own Ferrari racing only section.

By the way Rob, I think the new Lamborghini sections will work out great.

Tom Tanner/Ferrari Expo 2009 model/photography contest-Chicago April 25th 2009

7. Christopher Winfield

Nov 12, 2003
    I agree...in fact... it made me think that I would really like to read and see what the other vintage racers are doing and talking about. I think my future will always be with the race cars rather than street cars. I would like to know what issues occur in other types of cars. I think all the Ferrari racers should be in one section. I agree with F1Tommy... racing is what made Ferrari.

8. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    I think if you split it up, F1 obviously gets its own category, maybe:

Racing & Tracking:

Formula 1 & Misc Pro Racing
    Amateur/Club Racing & Technical Q & A
    Schools & Coaching

9. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    there were just as many challenge cars made than all supercars. They in my opinion are truely real ferraris, and The ONLY thing you can do with one of these distinct and traditionallyimportant cars is track/race them. Challenge cars deserve a challenge section. They are distinct models with a distinct purpose. Andy doesn't know what owners of challenge cars would talk about because he doesnt understand them. (there's a tad more to discuss between owners who run these cars than roll bar padding. It is difficult to navigate understand modifications/updates, support/maintence, parts. Coordination was what these cars where all about.

They should have there own section for the same reasons ferrari gave them there own series. And giving them there own section will breath new life into these cars and ignite the dreams of racing in the Ferrari challenge series. Maybe I'm being hopeful, but if I'm right and a separate section is devoted to challenge cars, anyone who can afford a Ferrari, can afford a Ferrari challenge car and experience what it's like to be on track in a challenge event. As it stands now the only way you can do a Ferrari challenge event is to have very very serious bucks. If a challenge thread works and it helps ignite or sustain challenge-like races/track events, then mere mortals can experience what I think is the ultimate dream, and that's to race in a Ferrari challenge series.

I'll wager there will be traffic in the section because there almost no way now challenge car owner can get in touch with eachother. It will create get togethers. Great photo posts. Assost on technical support. Once the thread leads to get togethers, Andy can be invited to watch if he likes to see ferraris track/race.

10. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    isn't there "gender-specific" dialogue about each model section? Isn't this the point of sections? To give distinct models forums? Challenge cars are distinct models because they have a distinct purpose and interest. The dialogue and interest in these racing models will be a go to place. And ask any challenge car owner, would they tune in? So what if it's just 50 owners. Those owners are dedicated and likely didn't buy them to collect dust. And I'd bet that there would be spectating interest from Ferrari fans.

And it wouldnt be jyst owners tuning in. Would you rather see a photos of two ferraris on the garage, or the lawn at an event, or two racing ferraris on the racetrack?

11. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I agree with a lot of what you said, but I think you're trying to make it too "exclusive" - I track my (non Challenge) car and have the same troubles finding info relating thereto. How about something like:

- F1 & other pro racing
    - "Tracking your Ferrari" [Possibly includes "Schools & coaching" - I believe your "target market" is going to be asking these Q's as well as technical, tires, brakes, setup, track day organiser recommendations and so on....]

Darn, we could even start doing F-chat track days!

My 02c,
    Cheers,
    Ian

12. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    I here you and you make a good point. However, I'm not trying to make it too exclusive, I just thought it would be great to have a forum that could jumpstart non-factory based challenge races. And these are distinct models and this deserve a model section.

But I'm All for something that promotes more track time with your Ferrari. But there are alot of info on where to go to track your street car. Nearly every big event has a track day. If you like traking your Ferrari alot, then I rather have a separate section on just Ferrari challenge cars and convince you it's cheaper and safer more appropriate and a hell of a lot mire fun to buy a challenge car instead of a street model. What I'm talking about are not "exclusive" models, challenge cars start at 40K and a totally bad ass 360c with GT mods costs less than 100k.

13. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    and BTW, a guy with a nickname "fast Ian", should be in a Ferrari racing car!! :)

14. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    OK! Maybe that's the answer - A new "model" specific section.

However, I'd still like "pro racing" and "tracking your car" to be separate entities - The F1 (and ALMS etc) threads flood out us "weekend warriors" with questions on, eg, data acquisition and so on.

*That* is another (big) can of worms!

Unfortunately, the name originated with "fast" as in "shadey", "not entirely trustworthy", rather than fast as in quick..... ;)

cheers,
    Ian

15. jeff512tr

jeff512tr Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2004
    Celebration, FL
    Rob
    I think this is a great idea. It seems that at least half the cars at the various FCA track events now are challenge cars, and considering the challenge series has now been running for 15 years (!) thats a lot of cars and owners out there.

Separating F1 is also a good idea, but be careful, if Bernie finds out he will no doubt want you to pay him $30 million per year, or he will move Fchat to Khasistan

16. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    What about the other half? - Precisely the point I was trying to make!...... We want "in" as well :)

Cheers,
    Ian

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    So right now I'm thinking a Challenge Cars section in model specific. Under Racing & Tracking we can divide up F1, Sports Car Racing, and Tracking/Driver Education.

18. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Rob:

Perfect! And appropriate solution that makes sense.

19. Christopher Winfield

Nov 12, 2003
    Dear Rob,

I think that is perfect... your wisdom and intellect know no bounds....

Christopher

20. Christopher Winfield

Nov 12, 2003
    Dear Rob,

Can you set up something to filter out guys that own more Lamborghinis than Ferraris.... its rather annoying to see Lamborghini avatars on a Ferrari forum... I would propose banishment....

Christopher

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Ha, they all know I'm not their biggest fan, but they are welcome here if they have any Ferrari enthusiasm.

22. Christopher Winfield

Nov 12, 2003
    Just a joking jab at John... he is the biggest Ferrari fan around.... he just happens to have a serious lambo collection too.... lol.... If he would post his girlfriend with the Lambo I would be ok with it...and so would you!

23. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    No there isn't, but I agree with everything you say!

24. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1 Perfect! I personally would be ok with "F1 and other pro racing", but either way would be cool with me. [And please try and set it so that F1 thread titles don't appear in the index!]

cheers,
    Ian

25. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Hi Rob, Can this be created pretty soon? the sportscar threads are dropping down the que a bit again. Lots of important testing, team announcements, racing is about to commence!

Thanks,
    Carol