New Ducati Diavel Prototype | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New Ducati Diavel Prototype

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by cyclisto, Oct 12, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    It's that bad. The last thing I want popping into my mind when looking at a Ducati is a frikken HD VRod.

2. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    The interior of the Panamera is just awesome. The outside is...unusual. For some people unusual means repulsive, for others it can still be attractive. I happen to find it better-looking than many other four-door cars in the same price range (7-series, CLS, A8, Jag XF). It is no Quattroporte, but then few cars are.

If anyone hates the Cayenne, just take heart that a Panamera probably steals a sale from a Cayenne as often as not. A highly successful Panamera line would probably finish off the Cayenne as an ongoing product.

3. cyclisto

cyclisto Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Utopia
    Full Name:
    Sy Kleesteau
    You guys are funny....Personally, I have OCD....previously, I loved only the modern Ferraris. Now, I love em all. If I knew how to work a screwdriver, hell, I'd probably even buy an older, classic Ferrari they're so beautiful.

I guess as I grow older, my standards get lower, as you say. However, with women I like, the only thing that's gets lower is their age! Hahaha!!

Back to the Diavel....I'm waffling still. I like how it's a significant departure from the Ducati genetics and I kinda like that. How do you Ducati diehards feel about the Hypermotard? That isn't exactly a classic Ducati beauty....

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The Monster has been Ducati's best selling bike for a long time; nothing race inspired about it ;)

IMO, the new Diavel appears to be another Monster, albeit a modern variant thereof.

Would love to see it in the flesh before I decide if it's worth replacing my S4Rs.

5. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I'm anxious to see it. As usual with the Ducatis, seeing them in person is way better than the early photos. Have heard the same about this one. Still love my superbikes though!

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

nothing race inspired? ok...strip the body work off an 851 or 888 and tell me if the monster shares any race inspiration with the two superbikes?

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #32 Wade, Oct 16, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
    Granted, they share components but the Monster is primarily a street bike so I don't get any inspiration, race-wise, while riding my S4Rs even though "Ducati opted to have the model's launch on a racetrack". Of course, that's my opinion...

8. Noah930

Noah930 Karting

Apr 15, 2010
    Full Name:
    Alarick
    The original Monster (from 1993) had its frame based off that from the 851/888 series.

9. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I should have expanded on my comment a bit. While the recent bikes have not been pretty, they are excellent bikes. Even the first Multistrada was a terriffic bike just ugly. I live near Cleveland Ohio, we get about 5 months of nasty non-riding weather, and none of the modern designs make me want to sit in the garage with a cup of Hot Chocolate and just look at the bike like my 748 and 900 ss/sp did.

10. Noah930

Noah930 Karting

Apr 15, 2010
    Full Name:
    Alarick
    Well, your vintage 900SS (as opposed to the aesthetically-challenged later models) and the 916/748 are possibly two of the prettiest sportbikes ever made. Timelessly beautiful, though in different ways. No need for those designs to "grow on you."

Multi: That bike had its plastic bodywork molded in color--not white ABS with paint on it. I remember reading somewhere that the joke was the Multi was so ugly, they couldn't get paint to stick on it.

11. Paul308GTSi

Paul308GTSi Formula 3

Oct 26, 2008
    Queensland Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul D
    The sad thing is if you threw it into a scrap compactor and squashed it there would be no perceivable change in appearance.

When my new job comes through I shall get my Laverda RGS1000 ! .......that IS a beautiful bike !!!!

12. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    LOL!!

13. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not sure. Looks a little too much like a design student "trying."

_J

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Why would you want to replace something that works and has the foot pegs in the RIGHT place for handling + performance with a feet forward cruiser?

The Monster was very much race inspired by the fact that the foot pegs are where foot pegs SHOULD BE for performance from all the years of racing that Ducati has done with it's superbikes. If you are suddenly telling me that the cruiser layout with feet forward is the more correct for racing, then why aren't MotoGP bikes cruisers?
    Pete

15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #41 Wade, Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Monster was designed/intended/marketed for the street. That's where I ride ;)

"...reveal a bike that’s more muscular Monster than it is a raked-out, chromed-out American cruiser."

Well, this is encouraging.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Although this is a post about the Diavel, can we agree not to post any more pictures of it? (Or post a link to it rather than an actual photo) If I keep vomiting on my keyboard I will run out of laptops.

Big fan of the marque (888 Corsa, 999RS, D16RR) but someone deserves to be let go for that one. If they had released this photo 6 months ago Rossi would have stayed with Yamaha.

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Lots of odd details there.......

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Wade,

I believe you have missed my point.

Everybody involved with m/c's know that the cruiser design is plain wrong in regards to going efficiently and quick around corners. Ducati has always been about designing bikes that functionally work first and foremost, and looks came second.

This bike will never be as good in the corners as a Monster, thus they are seriously compromising their ideals.

I ride a Suzuki GS500e to work and back every single day, that bike is perfectly comfortable but it is not a cruiser. If Ducati wanted to make a more comfortable bike, they could simply have moved the Monster in the more general purpose bike direction with out going to a feet first, I will NEVER handle, direction.

Many cr@p on Harley Davidson for this, now we can cr@p on Ducati for making simply rubbish. It does not matter how well they have designed this cruiser, it will still never, ever be as good as a motorcycle designed with the rider angling forward, even if only slightly like my GS500e. Physics does not lie ...
    Pete

19. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #45 Wade, Nov 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Pete, I hear ya and am not a fan of the upright riding position either. I think you may want to reconsider your perception of the Diavel's ergonomics (no feet forward at all). Also, I haven't seen anything stating that this bike is replacing the Monster (or any other). Instead, it's an addition to the other product lines.

In my opinion, this is what the Streetfighter should have been.

Check out the vid and pics:

http://www.diavel.ducati.com/jsp/en/index/index.jsp?lang=en

As you know, in the city there are very few "fast corners" so this might be a great bike to consider for that. I currently live in an area which makes no sense to have a sportbike; not any fun either which is one reason why I sold my 1098S.

Wade
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes agree, never been sure what the Streetfighter really is.

Pete

21. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Looks like a home made creation to compete with a V-Max

22. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Not just odd: stupid too!
    Take the licence plate mount for instance and the lack of a real rear-fender: obviously whomever came up with such design has never ridden in the rain or on wet roads.

23. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    The Streetfighter replaced the Monster S4rs. It seems the new Monster is more toward a simple lightweight road bike using an air-cooled engine. The old S4, S4r, S4rs monster models look to be replaced with this water-cooled bike based on the 1098.

If you have seen one in person, the Streetfighter to me looks great and for the real world could be a great bike with more than enough power and more comfortable than its superbike base. IMO, it is the answer to the Aprilia Tuono that the previous water-cooled monsters never really seemed to be.

As far as the Diavel, I think it will sell because it will appeal to people who want a cruiser but not a Harley.

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #50 PSk, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
    Thus I guess they are targeting the Monster to replace the SuperSport. Sort of a pity as I really like the SS. Have test ridden one, but came to the conclusion it was too agressive in the riding position for an every day bike. In hindsight I could have modified it to make it work ... but I really chickened because it was at the top end of my budget and had a few asthetic issues and I'm still not sure if a Ducati can really handle every day work from a reliability and maintenance cost perspective, etc.

Pete