New Ducati Diavel Prototype | FerrariChat

New Ducati Diavel Prototype

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by cyclisto, Oct 12, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cyclisto

cyclisto Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Utopia
    Full Name:
    Sy Kleesteau
  2. velocedog

velocedog Karting

Jun 6, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jack
    kind of looks like a V-Rod to me

3. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Ducati will sell a ton of these things, just not to typical Ducati buyers.

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
  5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I was prepared to hate, but it's HOT! Very cool!

6. cyclisto

cyclisto Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Utopia
    Full Name:
    Sy Kleesteau
    It's growing on me.

7. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    I like it, a lot.

Yet another success i'd say.

8. cyclisto

cyclisto Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Utopia
    Full Name:
    Sy Kleesteau
    Is it pronounced Dee-AH-vul or Dee-uh-VELL?

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It's a flippin cruiser!!!

Just sad. The Monster was the right balance, now they have forgotten function and gone for cr@p.

Pete

10. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Officially announcing the new model’s name ahead of the official presentation, the famous Italian manufacturer is about to turn another dream into reality, using the local Bolognese dialect word for “devil” in naming their new model Diavel – pronounced Dee-ah-vel.

And, I like it.

11. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Possibly neat bike with dumb name. Maybe should have just called it the Cayenne.

12. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

agreed. what a sad and gross departure from the great hand made days...anyone still remember the 851 or 888?

13. Noah930

Noah930 Karting

Apr 15, 2010
    Full Name:
    Alarick
    Everytime I step into the garage. ;)

14. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

#14 ferraripete, Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. KhanArt

KhanArt Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2010
    7zero3
    Full Name:
    Z
    Cool, but not my thing really. I like the traditional sport bike look.

16. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    EXACTLY! And, the V-Rods ride like a sponge. I'm sure the Duc will be better, but...not my thing.

I'll hang onto my 996, thankyouverymuch.

CW

17. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The last beautiful Ducs were the 851 thru 996's, the 900ss (pre Terblanche) and the Monster with the standard headlight. Everything since has beed Japified and ugly. Maybe they will get back to their roots and make nice bikes again someday.

18. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    What a failure of a bike.

19. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    For years I have had a 1990 851, and had hoped Ducati would have brought out a SportClassic version of the 851 using an 848 motor with a modern interpretation of the styling from the late 80's. Would have been nice to park them next to each other.

It appears though that the SportClassic line has been put down and will not be available for 2011.

Incidentally, opinion on Ducati boards has been almost entirely negative about the Diavel. Of course, the V-Rod is generally loathed by the Motor Company diehards, so it is like a Ducati V-Rod in one more way.

20. cyclisto

cyclisto Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Utopia
    Full Name:
    Sy Kleesteau
    C'mon guys, it's not that bad. Sorta like the Porsche Panamera. Some days I love it, some days I don't...

21. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I have yet to even have a day that I like, let alone love, the aesthetics. Sorry. Not a fan of that, either.

CW

22. cyclisto

cyclisto Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Utopia
    Full Name:
    Sy Kleesteau
    I'm just trying to let it sink in here, that's all....

When the Ferrari California first came out, I hated it. Now, it's starting to grow on me and as I see it, hear it....I'm actually starting to like it in a sick sorta way. Same with the 458. Didn't really like it either. Now I love it!

The Diavel is a Ducati and I love Ducatis. Just keepin an open mind so far....

23. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Yes, I agree with you that many of the modern designs aren't visually appealing at first blush. I've felt Ferraris, in general, really haven't been all that "aesthetically pleasing" initially since, perhaps, the early '80s. The 512/308 are, in my opinion, the last of the truly beautifully-penned lines from first sight. Flowing and sensuous. That said, some designs have certainly grown on me, and obviously, they're not so awful that I don't own or enjoy them. But, the technical, utilitarian appearance isn't usually elegant.

Ducati "got it right" when it came to sportbikes. Their designs have just always had the right look. But, companies have to introduce new ideas and designs. They can't just remain rooted in a successful, but aging, design. Will the Diavel grow on me? Don't know. Don't think so. It's a total departure from what Ducati does/did so well. Race-inspired design that trickles down. I'm not sure what the Diavel is. But, I can certainly see how Ducati must go after new market segments for their own survival. And, while this may be a V-Rod extraordinaire, it's not my cup of tea. OTOH, without products like this, how will Ducati ever grow?

CW

24. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    I am not sure of my take on the new Ducati, but I am sure that I do not like the Panamera, when my wife saw one the other day, she said "When did Porsche start making the Pacer?" I hope the Ducati will grow on me, no way the Panamera will.

25. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Uh...the Panamera is ugly. Just like the Cayenne is still ugly. Just like the Boxster's ass is still ugly. The Daytona is ugly and the 599 doesn't even look that good either (575>*).

The cars don't grow on you, you just end up lowering your standards over time. ;) Some people have a hard time coming to the conclusion that an older car looks better...they expect things to progress forward all the time, lol.