NEW classic auto restoration reality series on Velocity channel | FerrariChat

NEW classic auto restoration reality series on Velocity channel

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by AwesomeM3, Jun 3, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AwesomeM3

AwesomeM3 Karting

Sep 22, 2006
    Moorestown, NJ
    Full Name:
    Steve
    A good friend of mine has a new reality series premiering June 25 at 9:00 PM EST on Discovery Channel's Velocity network. Dan owns and operates a classic auto restoration shop in Norfolk, Virginia. The series revolves around Dan, his shop, and the restorations they do. The first episode features the restoration of a 1963 Corvette. Be sure to tune in!!!!

A Norfolk vintage car restoration crew stars in new cable series

The Virginian-Pilot
    © May 27, 2013

Daniel Short no longer watches automotive television shows to relax. “Now,” he said, “I watch them to see what they’re doing.”

And with good reason.

Short and the crew of his automotive restoration shop, DRS FantomWorks of Norfolk, are about to become reality TV stars. Their show, “Fantom-Works,” debuts on The Discovery Channel’s Velocity network at 9 p.m. June 25.

The channel, part of Cox Cable’s HD lineup, launched in 2011 and now reaches 42 million subscribers nationwide.

Those viewers are about to get a dose of Short and his intense passion for restoring cars.

Short runs his shop with the same intensity he displayed when serving in the military as a program manager. That attribute didn’t go unnoticed by Nicolas Valcour, CEO and COO of New Dominion Pictures in Suffolk.

A couple of years ago, Valcour brought his 1957 Heinkel bubble car to FantomWorks to be restored. It wasn’t long before New Dominion was filming a pilot in the former restaurant-linen factory on Hampton Boulevard. Within a year, contracts had been signed, a network secured and shooting had begun.

The first season’s filming, which wrapped earlier this month, wasn’t embraced by everyone in the shop.

“There was actually a lot of kickback on doing the show,” Short said. “Some of the guys refused to be a part of it. If the cameras came around, they were deliberately disruptive just because they didn’t want the show here. It became my job to become a full-time referee.”

Some of that tension boiled over from the demands of shooting for television.

“There was constantly that turmoil, because sometimes the TV crew would want to skip ahead to something. And I would say, ‘We’re not there yet.’ ”

Short said that eventually New Dominion and Discovery allowed work to proceed at a natural pace, but it took some convincing.

“I said, ‘Look, it still takes nine months to make a baby. Even if you put nine women on it, they can’t make a baby in one month.’ ”

Everyone’s attitude seems to have changed since a rough cut of the first show was shown at the wrap party.

“They’re really excited by what they see,” Short said.

The initial episode deals with a soon-to-be-wed owner of a 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray who wants his car fully restored in a mere eight weeks, in time to drive his bride away on their honeymoon.

That the series has reached the screen in fewer than two years is remarkably quick by industry standards. The Discovery Channel reality show “Mythbusters” took almost seven to get to the same point.

“I think folks are generally excited about it,” Short said. “You know, it’s fun having a TV show.”

And Valcour’s 1957 Heinkel bubble car? It remains unrestored.

“We’re actually holding that for Season 2.”

2. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I look forward to it!

3. AwesomeM3

AwesomeM3 Karting

Sep 22, 2006
    Moorestown, NJ
    Full Name:
    Steve
    UPDATE

The Velocity Channel has moved the premier to June 30 at 8:00 PM.

4. AwesomeM3

AwesomeM3 Karting

Sep 22, 2006
    Moorestown, NJ
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #4 AwesomeM3, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Last weekend I went to the FantomWorks shop in Norfolk, Virginia to watch the first episode of the new reality series “FantomWorks”. I have to say I was thoroughly entertained, and I found the show to be much more interesting than other reality car makeover shows. You can judge for yourself when the first episode will air on Sunday, June 30 at 8:00 PM EST on the Velocity channel.

The FantomWorks shop was quite a sight to see in person. It has a gorgeous 1950’s style malt shop, an amazing gas station, a huge showroom, as well as a woodworking shop, metal shop, upholstery shop, paint shop, and finishing shop. On the walls are an amazing collection of automobile and 1950’s/1960’s memorabilia throughout the building. Some of the most noteworthy memorabilia are an airplane hanging from the ceiling, a 1963 Corvette hanging on the wall, a classic Coke machine, and an old telephone booth.

The showroom has an amazing collection of classic cars including a 1967 Corvette convertible, the world’s first 1963 Corvette Convertible with FantomWorks custom manufactured Split Window hardtop, a 1957 Corvette, a 1959 Corvette, an Austin Healey, a real Mini, a Chevelle designed for the Wounded Warriors project (for disabled Vets), and a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 Super Cobra Jet. Throughout the building I saw various classic Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros, and some one of a kind vehicles.

Don’t forget to watch “FantomWorks” airing Sunday, June 30th at 8:00 PM EST on the Velocity channel.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I have the show programed. Man I would have to wear a doctors mask to soak up my drool as I inspected their collection, amazing.

6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Place looks great, although I'm struggling to see how the show will be different. That being said, most reality stuff is similar, it's the personalities that make it.

7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Are they going to use the deadline gimmick that seems to be the hallmark of most of these shows?

"We gotta get this thing outta here. The transporter will be tomorrow morning to take it to the big show, and we still have to do the interior and rebuild the transmission. But my guys are up to it!"

8. AwesomeM3

AwesomeM3 Karting

Sep 22, 2006
    Moorestown, NJ
    Full Name:
    Steve
    LOL!! Yes, the place is filled with amazing cars of all types!

Good point; the FantomWorks crew all have entertaining personalities. I've known the owner, Dan, for many years, and he is a natural! I also met his crew, and they're a great bunch of guys, very talented also. One difference I noticed about this show is that they actually state how much the restorations cost. Most of these reality type shows don't do that. Also, FantomWorks is an actual business...other shows such as Overhaulin' aren't.

I hope not...but in the first episode, they have to get the '63 Corvette finished in 8 weeks for the customer's wedding. They pulled it off, and I don't remember seeing any of those scripted "gotta get it done" scenes.

Hope you guys like the series. I'm excited to watch it on Sunday, even though I already saw it. It will be neat to see it on TV.

9. AwesomeM3

AwesomeM3 Karting

Sep 22, 2006
    Moorestown, NJ
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Excerpt from:
    What's in The Barn? and Fantomworks new to Velocity - Monsters and Critics

In FANTOMWORKS restoration expert Dan Short and his team only have a heart for those who genuinely love their cars. Every car has a story, but if you can’t prove to Dan that you truly care about your car and want the job done right then he won’t accept your business. Dan’s bustling shop, FantomWorks, is the largest automotive restoration shop in America. Leaning on of years automotive restoration experience in addition to the qualities of discipline and precision Dan acquired in the military, the FantomWorks team runs a busy production pipeline in order to meticulously refurbish some of America’s favorite rides. Every week old cars come with new obstacles including irate car owners, personality clashes, cost over-runs, parts problems and walkouts. Come along for the ride every Sunday night at 8 PM ET/PT beginning June 30 only on Velocity.

FANTOMWORKS Episode Descriptions (Not a Full List):

Episode 1: “1963 Corvette and 1931 Model A Hot Rod”

World Premieres Sunday, June 30 at 8 PM ET/PT

Dan Short is a fan of classic cars. So when James brings in a 1963 Chevrolet Corvette and wants Dan to add the first convertible split window – the job is too cool to resist. But James needs the car for his wedding in less than two months. While the team wrestles with the near-impossible Corvette timeline, Bill brings in a 1931 Model A Ford that his father converted into a hot rod. Bill is an internet mechanic who has torn the car to pieces. This would normally send Dan running for the hills, but the car is Bill’s only connection to his dead father.

Episode 2: “1965 Mustang and 1951 Studebaker Truck”

World Premieres Sunday, July 7 at 8 PM ET/PT

Cars can cement or break friendships. Dan is concerned when his best friend Charlie asks him to convert his 1965 Ford Mustang fastback into his dream car. Dan’s worries are realized and the friendship is pushed beyond its limits when Charlie buys his own parts and his dream is much bigger than his budget. In contrast, the complete restoration of a 1951 Studebaker truck to a world class show vehicle is a car-lover’s dream. Nothing is impossible, so Dan and the team are challenged to come up with a design that has never been seen before.

Episode 3: “1964 Impala and 1976 TR6”

World Premieres Sunday, July 14 at 8 PM ET/PT

When a 1964 Chevrolet Impala arrives at FantomWorks, it looks like it is half a step from the junkyard. Further complicating things is that the owner is serving in Afghanistan. He is entrusting the supervision of the ground-up restoration to his mother-in-law, a hairdresser who knows nothing about cars. Dave, the owner of a 1976 Triumph TR6 knows a lot about cars, so he finds it hard to believe when Dan Short argues against certain aspects of the restoration. Dan wants to make the car a “survivor” with original paint and features while Dave doesn’t believe that it is possible.

10. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I just hope that it's more about the car restorations than human drama!

Brian

11. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Or in-show infomercials.

12. texasmr2

BANNED