Need a 400i ignition switch | FerrariChat

Need a 400i ignition switch

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bergxu, Sep 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    As the title says...Anyone have a spare to sell?

Cheers,
    Aaron
    '82 GTSi

2. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Aaron:

Are you sure you need an ignition switch? My 82 400i has intermittent starting issues, and I thought it was a switch.
    Further study determined it was the neutral safety switch in the transmission.

Is yours an automatic?

3. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Kraig,

Here is what happens:

There is no power to the B+ side of the coil with the switch in the "run" position, so the car cranks fine but will not fire.

But yes the car is an automatic.

Cheers,
    Aaron
    '82 GTSi

4. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Hello...I've owned my 400i for ten years...and have found the that the inginiton switch itsekf is not hte problem..it's the black plastic module on the back of the switch..it is of poor design..private email me for the source..I don't post my sources in public because sometimes certain parties try to corner the market by buying them all up and making us bend over..self bonage....also..if it turns out that you do need the entire switch..I think that I know where the only one in captivity is..and it's..$2200...because it's housed in the steering lock mechanism...good luck..Jacques..over

5. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    This may be heretical, but I hot wired mine, no more problems. Ferrari Atlanta wanted 3K for the switch. There is supposedly one on the market for $1,800. My mechanic ordered it but the person never delivered it.