Name this duct... | FerrariChat

Name this duct...

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by jes-13, Jun 22, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jes-13

jes-13 Karting

Jun 9, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    #1 jes-13, Jun 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm looking at a 400i and it seems to have both left and right ducts (one marked in the attached drawing) missing... Am I correct that these are the air intake ducts to air filter box?

I also assume that other than some performance degradation due to a warmer air charge, this is not a serious issue on a non-turbo engine... I intend to replace them if we purchase the car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Even a nonturbo car performs better with cool air vs. hot engine compartment air. That is the reason the ducts are there in the first place which by your post you already know. I have seen some cars have detonate/ping/pre-ignition problems with the engine sucking hot engine compartment air, reattach the duct work and the problem goes away. You already are going to fix this if you buy the car so no problem. Regards, Vern

3. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Somebody has a set of ducts for sale.
    Let me check my notes and see if I can direct you to where.

4. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Many if not most 400is are missing this passenger side duct. The reason is that they barely clear the stock ignition box on the hood, and they absolutely do NOT clear an MSD box if that is what you are running.

They are readily available for ~$100 from www.ferraripartsexchange.com among others, but be careful to see if it will fit before you waste the money (like i did). :(

FWIW, I see no performance issues with leaving it off, but if anyone has any ideas how to route it (looks impossible) with MSD I would love to hear them...

Alex

5. jes-13

jes-13 Karting

Jun 9, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    #5 jes-13, Jun 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We picked up our "new" 400i and it looks like we got a double wammy... It's has MSD on the left and what looks like an air pump on the right :-/ Looks I'll have to be more creative in restoring a cold air intake...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Tell us more about your new car - is it the blue/tan one California Cars had for sale?

7. jes-13

jes-13 Karting

Jun 9, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    No, as far as I know that car is still for sale... we bought ours from a private party.

8. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    Both of my air ducts are in place.