My 400i changed model years overnight! | FerrariChat

My 400i changed model years overnight!

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by KraigG, Mar 21, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    A few weeks ago, I decided to register my 82 400i in California. I found a place to smog it, I got a friend to verify the VIN, then I headed over to the trusty AAA office where I'm on a first name basis with the guy who does the DMV stuff.

Things were going well, until he got to the part where it asks for the VIN. The computer he was using locked up, and grim faced, he told me he was not able to do the task. It needed a DMV password.

Off I went to the DMV. Things were going well, and the guy I was seeing called a supervisor over, as the 5 digit VIN on my Illinois title did not "jive" with California's requirements that all 82 and newer cars must have a 17 digit VIN. I explained the term "gray market", and he asked for a check to pay for the registration costs. I thought, "phew, that wasn't so hard!" But things were just getting difficult!
    He advised me I had to go see a CHP officer to get the "official word" on the VIN.

Showed up at the Highway Patrol office bright and early, but still had to wait 45 min before an officer would see me. Off we went to see the car. I tried to keep a positive attitude. The cop didn't say much, but he was clearly worried. I showed him the tag on top of the steering column, and the tag on the fender well. They both ended in the same number, but the compliance tag on the door jamb said the car was manufactured in 1981, and the title said 1982. I told him the compliance took a few months, most likely, and the car that was brought over in late 81 didn't hit the streets until 82, and the dealer wanted to title it as a newer car. The cop didn't like that explanation, and it was clear he wasn't going to allow that, not on HIS watch. He signed off on his inspection, but changed all my paperwork from 1982 to 1981.

I headed back to the DMV, gave them all my paperwork, and got my new registration and plates. The job was complete: My previously titled 1982 400i was now a 1981 :(

So, Dave, if you're out there, please change your database to reflect that #36919 is now a 1981!

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave

<laughing>

Yep, I'm out here...

Oh my, what a story.

Do you think I can go to California and get them to change my 1975 Dino to a 1974?
    You know a '75 308 Dino is nice shape is worth $30k+, but a '74 Dino is going for $130k. This could be a real money maker.

3. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    lol..only if your Dino was MADE in 74! :)

4. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I bought my '84 400i in VA. When I went to my NJ DMV they entered the VIN# from the VA title and immediately said it was not a valid VIN. She looked closer and said it only had 16 digits. My heart stopped. She could not title it without a corrected title. In the 20 minute ride home I was thinking that the 17 digit title rule was a US thing and the Ferrari had a 16 digit number due to its grey market origin.

Relief came at home it when I saw it had a 17 digit VIN on the car in engine bay and on the import tag. The difference was that the title had 000 where it was supposed to have 0000; it was clearly a clerical error.

So I contacted the previous owner and started contact to the VA DMV. Previous owner confirmed all previous paper work had the correct 17 digits. It was 100% a VA DMV error; just the previous owner and I did not check it close enough. The VA DMV has completely automated web site. You enter your issue and it is resolved in 2 business days; YEAH RIGHT. Ten days later I get an email saying they corrected the error and they were sorry for any inconvenience this had caused me. They said I did not give them a mailing address to send the 'letter of correction' to, could I please send it to them. However, the email clearly states that you can NOT reply to the email. So you have to open a new claim on the web system. I referenced the previous claim number (I think) and sent my address. I was already worried that they were not sending a corrected title but only a correction letter. 16 days later I get a response saying the letter of correction would be mailed in a few more business days. I got it a few days later.

Now I went back to NJ DMV after a month had passed. They said the letter would not work, they MUST have a corrected title. I told them my only recourse would be to drive to Richmond, VA and camp out on the steps of the state house until I got a corrected title (I was prepared to do so). The NJ office people huddled and came up with a compromise. If I could supply a pencil tracing or digital photo of the VIN from the car, they would issue me a title. Forty minutes later I returned with the requested photo and they issued me a title. Hurray for the NJ DMV; it is actually pretty good since they privatized it and our gay ex-governor upgraded all state services where people meet the government.

Car had plates and was on the road in a couple of days!
    Ken

5. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    All this DMV (I don't care what state) foolishness is yet another example of government gone mad.

6. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    My car was advertised and titled as a 1973 when I bought it but there was a model change that year; my car was made in August 1972 and is a 1972 model. Il thinks it's a 1973 and I am afraid to correct it and get some weird run around.

Ken