Movie car? Hope not out of bounds of discussion | FerrariChat

Movie car? Hope not out of bounds of discussion

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by bitzman, Mar 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I am always curious about movie cars, and right now I am stoked on the Captain America movie's car for Red Skull. It looks like a Mercedes 540K on steroids using the 6-wheel chassis of a Mercedes truck. The designer was Daniel Simon, who I think is an Art Center grad. I was a little taken aback when he said in an interview he looked at Excaliburs but they weren't big enough, so he built a much longer and wider vehicle which looks fabulous in the pictures on the net, though you can hardly see it in the movie.
    Here's quote from Popular Mechanics interview at URL Captain America: The Gonzo Engineering Behind Red Skull's Monster Car - Popular Mechanics

"These and other light touches make the car look as evil as its driver. "Vehicle design is character design," he says. "In the moments where the character is sitting in the vehicle, everything you know about him has to speak through the car that he is sitting in." The coupe's sheer size—25 feet long and 8 feet wide—helps; so do the slit masks over the headlights, a popular feature in military vehicles at the time. "If you squint your eyes a little bit, every car has a face and those masks helped a lot," Simon says. "I think if the villain doesn't show up in something that has 50 million guns all over it, but something that is almost beautiful, that can be even more menacing." Plus, it's plenty powerful: Simon imagined that the car would have the most powerful engine available at the time—a 16-cylinder aircraft engine. "The real car has nine exhausts on either side which would make it an 18-cylinder," he says. "But on airplanes back then, they actually used the exhaust gases as additional exhilaration power. I thought this could also be a cool feature on this vehicle—a boost for additional miles per hour."

I think his big contribution to pre-war design was using a wrap around windscreen, more wraparound than a Porsche Speedster, does anyone recognize the windscreen? I think he's simulating a V-16, though I didn't count the exhausts but they remind me of the P51 Mustang style short stubby exhausts that Chip[ Foose had on a WWII airplane themed hot rod that he brought to the AFAS pre-concours party at Pebble Beach a couple of years ago. By the way I think the Excalibur would have been a good base for the car if he would have just had a lower windscreen and lengthened it a few feet--Simon went over the top.