MotoGP Spoiler | Page 7 | FerrariChat

MotoGP Spoiler

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 2000YELLOW360, Apr 13, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    If you have it electronically, take a look at it in slow motion. They were sliding both wheels at times, doing stoppies on braking, and on acceleration most of the time the front wheel was barely in contact with the ground. Totally unbelievable, a skill level beyond anything that I've seen in a long, long time. Total game changer. Last time I saw something like that was Roberts when he first got on a 500.

Art

2. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    So out of the current crop of MotoGP riders, aside from Rossi and Stoner, whom else do you feel can ride that hard, if anyone?

3. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I don't see anyone coming up to challenge them. Given Ben a couple of years, and if he can get on a decent bike, then maybe. I think that Honda will be looking for someone in 11, and that would be his best chance, unless Rossi decides to retire by then, which I doubt.

Art

4. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #154 yzee, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. PaulVincent

PaulVincent Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2007
    Lorenzo can. I'll be surprised if someday he's not Rossi's successor, but let's see what 2010 brings.

6. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I was thinking about this the other day, and I wonder if Lorenzo is the first teammate to really rattle Rossi, even if just a bit over the last two years. He is undoubtedly the best rider to share a garage with Valentino. Rossi has recently griped about developing a bike for the rider that beats him occasionally. While I don't think Rossi quakes in fear of Lorenzo, it must chap him that perhaps 1/3 of the time another M1 crosses the finish line first.

Both Lorenzo and Rossi are unsigned for 2011. So if you were Lorenzo, would you try to sign with Yamaha first, early next year? Would that give Rossi some subtle motivation to either retire on top or switch teams and try to grow his legend even more? Yamaha would be loathe to lose Lorenzo, and he will have no shortage of options either. If Rossi waffles to re-sign, you might see some interesting things next summer.

If this came to pass, it would leave Lorenzo as #1 at Yamaha. I don't personally believe Valentino has any real allegience to Yamaha, he will make the best decision for him first and foremost. Rossi can virtually name his price and even Honda would love to have him riding for HRC again. Who wouldn't want the GOAT breaking Ago's all-time wins record on their bike?

7. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    One of the english magazines (Bike, August 2009 IIRC) had an article about how the top four ride these bikes. There are times when both brakes are on, both tires sliding, and the rider is at full throttle. Pretty amazing stuff.

In that same issue Rossi goes through how he rode Coppice corner at Donington (now that they don't race there I guess he can tell his secrets!). Very interesting and much more specific than I anticipated.

8. PaulVincent

Oct 21, 2007
  9. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    #160 kizdan, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
    I don't think Lorenzo rattles Rossi much at all, whereas I would bet Rossi really rattles Lorenzo. I believe it is because of Rossi that Lorenzo pushes himself beyond his limits to where he makes mistakes, and crashes. He may be the best racer to ever be on the same team as Rossi, however Rossi bests Lorenzo 95% of the time. Also, you are comparing a rider with 8 World Championships to Lorenzo's 2, which were both in 250. Who do you think intimidates who?

Rossi is bitter towards Honda. Honda's mentality is one where they believe their bike will win the WC, whereas the rider plays a much smaller role. Also, Rossi really wanted the Honda he won a WC on, and Honda never gave it to him. Those reasons are part of why he left there for Yamaha. Would he ever ride for Honda again? Hard to say. I have to imagine that Honda has perhaps come to realize how big of a role the rider plays, especially after Rossi went to Yamaha, and won. Again and again.

If I were Lorenzo, I would go to Honda. I would try to get on the best team that Rossi is not on.

10. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    That hasn't worked out for Dani P, so far.

11. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    The Honda has the most HP, but it isn't right. The engine is too high, and too far forward. Braking is good, but it doesn't come off the corners hard enough. But, because it has great power the defects don't show as much, so with someone light like Pedrosa, it can run with the Yamahas. They make almost as much power, but have quite a bit better balance. Lorenzo isn't going to do squat with Rossi. Rossi has set those bikes up, and whatever Lorenzo has done, it is partially the result of Rossi's work to make the bike better.

Honda's biggest mistake was screwing, or attempting to screw Burgess over his bonus in 2004. Honda cut the team bonus by 50%, and then Rossi took them, en mass, over to Yamaha, and Honda never recovered.

Art

12. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I didn't remember that particular aspect, but you were spot on with everything (anti rider pro mfr mentality) and I just missed the bonus thing. That would piss me off if I had just won a WC for them! Burgess won a BUNCH of them for Honda. Any wonder why I haven't bought any sport bikes from them in my life......just a coupla dirt bikes and a coupla used NC 400's.

13. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    In fact Rossi paid them the difference personally. 50k US each, almost 1M total.

Art

14. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Yeah, Jeremy B has been setting up championship winners since Mick D and earlier.

Rossi didn't want Stoner anywhere near them. lol Jeremy was commenting on how KC would excell if he got a family around him back in KC's first season in the major class.

He found it with Ducati instead of Jeremy's band of aussies.

15. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    now that's wat I call a tropical storm!

16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Entertaining stuff from Rossi again.

Very poor first lap but for the rest he was awesome. Didn't get to see stoner much but his laptimes said enough! about 1.5 secs a lap quicker than anyone else for the majority of the race...wow.

Congrats on Rossi winning the WDC this season, great stuff!

17. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Stoner will be the one to watch next year. Last winter he had surgery on his wrist and lost most of the testing time. This summer his mysterious illness basically made this a throwaway year, and he still will likely finish third in points. Now that he is back at full strength he has beaten Rossi in all three rounds. Would be no surprise to see him win in Valencia, and that would pose an ominous warning to Fiat Yamaha that 2010 might not have so many 1-2 finishes. Maybe several 2-3 though.

Also good to see Hayden near the front again as well, he seems to methodically be working through the issues on the Ducati.

18. PaulVincent

Oct 21, 2007
    Until Casey rises the pressure of being in the chase for the championship (not just finishing off a season in grand style absent this pressure such as he is doing now), nobody knows (Casey included) if he's been healed/cured of his troubles. For the good of MotoGP, all fans should hope that he has been cured. Next season is the soonest that we'll get to see.

19. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Congrats to Rossi! Very entertaining year, yet again! I've said it before, and I'll say it again - best racing on the planet!

Wow, Casey on fire yet again! The guy was in his own league again yesterday.

20. PaulVincent

Oct 21, 2007
    Yes, watching Casey is wonderfully entertaining. In addition, this past weekend Casey handled the public relations part of MotoGP very well. I see it as a huge step forward for him.

21. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I wouldn't be surprised if Casey didn't win another championship next year. A lot depends on what happens with the design crew over the winter. I still think that Valie is the better rider though. If you look at the trap times, you can see the HP advantage the Ducati has. It is consistently 5, 6, 7 km faster on the straights. Doesn't sound like much, but figure a bike length off of each corner and that is a huge deal at that level.

Stoner was great in the rain, but remember: Rossi needed to get the championship decided, and he did. Valencia, one of my favorite tracks (been there for the last 3 MotoGP races), may be another story.

It's in two weeks, should be fun. Ben is riding as a wild card, and the rumour is that he'll have a full on factory bike, not a tech3 bike. If true, it will be very interesting to see just how well he does.

Art

22. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
  23. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Problem with Ben's bike is that it isn't up to the current spec.

Art

24. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess