MotoGP 2013 **SPOILERS** | Page 4 | FerrariChat

MotoGP 2013 **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by bigodino, Apr 7, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    After shoulder injuries to both, he has decided to call it quits.

It is a shame really, 2009 will stand out as one of the most memorable in WSBK where Spies was the champ as a rookie. He looked like a man amomg boys that year and mentally destroyed one of my favorites, Nori Haga. Nitro Nori has never been the same since.

Ben never quite lived up to his promise in MotoGP, but that was as much due to bad luck as anything on the factory Yamaha. Coming to that team to replace one of the greatest riders ever had to be tough. Even Rossi 2013 edition is finding it hard to win races these days.

2. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Not a big fan of 2 wheel racing but am watching seems very good.

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nice race. History made!

4. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    A lot of records here. Podium in every race

5. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Lorenzo did all he could but the gap between the top three and the rest of the field is too big to have his early race strategy work out.

Congatulations to the youngest champion ever and what a rookie year!

2014 will be the battle between Marquez and Lorenzo. I think Rossi should safe face and retire. The new kid has taken over. His sacking of Burgess wasn't very galant. He couldn't have waited for the season to end?

6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I have a feeling he is not ready to stop competing and winning or letting go of the fame involved. I agree maybe Rossi should let this go.

7. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I don't think he really wanted to win the Championship playing those sort of games anyway! - I get the impression that had it have worked for him, he wouldn't have felt that he'd really won it as it was a bit underhand.

He wants to win a Championship racing flat out against Marquez, to get the plaudits for beating Marquez in a straight, fair fight!

Yes, big congratulations to Marquez!, he's been like a breath of fresh air to MotoGP and has really shaken things up for the established riders.

His wild riding style is massively entertaining and he's not afraid to go wheel to wheel/fairing to fairing with anyone, regardless of reputation, ability or anything.

I have to say though, Casey Stoner must be thinking to himself: "Hmmmm....... How would I do up against him?". (Now there's a battle I'd love to see: Stoner Vs Marquez! The two wild boys of MotoGP going wheel to wheel!).

As for Rossi and Burgess, he could have handled that a lot better! As you say, he could have waited until the season was over and then allowed Burgess to make an announcement. That would have been a far more fitting and dignified ending!

As it stands, it's almost as though Rossi is laying the blame for his poor performances on Burgess!

He went to Ducati to try to prove that he could ride their bike as well as Stoner - and failed miserably, and then went back to Yamaha trying to prove that he was still as good as the kids (and hasn't pulled it off!).

Now it's suddenly: "I need a new race engineer - that's what's holding Me back!"

I suspect though that next season will be more of the same for him and a new race engineer is going to make no difference whatsoever!

He needs to face facts: His time has been and gone! The likes of Marquez, Lorenzo and Pedrosa simply want it more and are prepared to push that bit harder and take more risks to get it!

8. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Yes, but I think all sorts of emotions play a part, but in the end he did put up a good fight and his confindence will be big going into next season.

He also showed once again that he's a very complete rider with brains as well as balls. He clearly put Pedrosa in his place, even though it's not his style the way he sometimes went over the limit. But a real champion knows he has to do everything that's necessary.

For next season I don't think Pedrosa has what it takes to go against Marquez and Lorenzo. It seems tho me that he's not strong enough both psychologically as well as fysically. I think there were races this year where he just couldn't keep up.

Yes, I think Stoner retired too early.

BBC coverage showed how Lorenzo (and Pedrosa) have adopted some of the wild leaning style of Marquez. I think the other can't keep up if they don't adapt, Rossi included.

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Better to retire too early with people wondering "what if" than to retire too late with people asking you to get out of the way for new blood. I still think he made the right move as a lot of people didn't imo give him the respect he deserved.

Congrats to Marc. Gotta feel great to get a podium on every race you finish and win the championship as a rookie. Great stuff.

10. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    congrats marquez. if rossi chooses to stay on i hope he can win one more wdc and retire as the greatest ever.

11. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I think, as Peter said, that with Marquez, the future has arrived. The Rossi-era is over and with every day passing, the chance of Rossi getting back on top is getting smaller. MotoGP is now the playground of Marquez, Pedrosa and Lorenzo. These three guys have put on a great show in 2013. All are stunningly capable of driving their machines to the extreme.

12. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Impressive season by Marquez. You cannot do a whole lot better than he did. Lorenzo did everything he could.

On another note, I am happy to see that Hayden is remaining in MotoGP.

13. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I am not.

I think Hayden, just like Rossi, should retire and make room for new blood.

It's sad to see them being shadows of themselves, wasting good machinery.

Same for Colin Edwards too ...

14. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    What do you guys think about Rossi dropping Burgess? Is it just a last ditch effort to try anything possible to become a front runner again? That's what I would believe.

15. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Burgess has been quoted this week (Mat Oxley IIRC) rather bluntly that Rossi is trying anything to be competitive again but the crew chief these days is only 20% of the setup decision along with the telemetry and suspension guys so just changing one person in that equation won't be the jump he is looking for. If Rossi is to be a championship contender again it will have to come from Rossi and his riding.

This all makes sense to me.