MONTOYA SACKED! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

MONTOYA SACKED!

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tifosi12, Jul 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    They were unhappy because RD would have preferred to defer the announcement and have it come from McLaren rather than JPM shocking the world (it's a control thing). It had nothing to do with him taking the offer with the lower salary, because we all know Mclaren would rather put Lewis Hamilton, Gary Paffett or another driver than keep JPM there. The offer they gave JPM is an offer they knew he would not take anyway.

Don't forget JPM wants to "get back to racing" and this has nothing to do with money anymore. McLaren doesn't even have a winning car and there are no guarantees they will have one next year. So this just invalidates the points you mentioned. Williams did give him an offer, but why would JPM go there based on where Williams is now.

2. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    He was brave and at least tried to overtake... for that reason he is supposed to be dangerous? more like frustrated!!!

3. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Driver change season is open!

4. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Well, from an outsiders perspective, it looks like things have been a little rocky for awhile. This might be why JPM was playing bumper cars. Maybe he just didn't care. He could have been in talks with this Nascar team for awhile. I think they were wise to get him out of the car. He had no motivation, showed reckless behavior, and didn't give the team enough time to frame a response before announcing his move.

I'll be watching him in NASCAR. I think the drivers will take him for a spin.......

5. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    HHHmmmmm, Watkins Glen is sometime in August, i wonder if Ganassi will run JPM there, Hello ticket master......................?

6. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    He drove for Ganassi in the IRL and won the 1999 Indy 500 with Ganassi, so this isn't really a 'new' team to him in some respects.

7. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Too little too late for McLaren... Montoya has already wrecked a good racing team.

8. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

Ron Dennis has wrecked a good racing team, no one else is to blame.

9. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    First, I think Pedro is a good driver. He might surprise us. Second, isn't FA driving for Mclaren next year? Two Spaniards on the same team? Spainish fans will love that.

10. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I erred.
    He drove Champ Car for Ganassi.
    I'm shocked nobody jumped on that!

As far as De La Rosa goes, most folks have him on par with Massa.

11. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

Well he did drive for Ganassi in the IRL when he won Indy so you were right in a way except he won Indy in 2000 not 1999. I think De La Rosa is a bit less wild that Massa, he'll do a good job but there will be no danger of him winning a race except under special circumstanses. If they got the McLaren better this year JPM could have won a race.

12. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Yeah, I know, technically he drove in IRL, he won Indy in an IRL car, and a CART championship the year before.

I think there is more to the story than we will know, for awhile anyway.

13. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Who puts De La Rosa on the same second as Massa? I sure don't.

14. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Don't waste your time with a simple mind.

15. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    mmm....what did i say a few days ago...looks like a rumour is the truth after all...

16. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    I think Ron has not helped matters... but Montoya pretty much summed it up for McLaren.

McLaren should join Montoya and make a career move .... leave F1 and go to NASCRAP! They wanted a breakaway series along NASCRAP lines anyway.

17. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Are you sure its not Mercedes who wrecked a good racing team? Ron is probably more a "passenger" these days than we might think. He has no influence with M/B and they are coming to the table with crap these days.

18. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Who knows what the story is these days but the majority of the blame is with the way the team has been managed as of late. Ron Dennis has to carry most of the blame. Montoya had nothing to do with messing that team up.

19. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Well, it cracks me up how it's all about image maintenance now. McLaren basically fired Montoya a month ago, but he landed on his feet, seems happy and left McLaren in position where they won't get to enjoy watching JPM grovel for his job driving their crappy car. So they can him for the rest of the season. Ooooh! You so bad! Don't mess with big bad Ron Dennis! Big effin' deal. All it does is help Montoya by giving him a head start on his learning curve.

20. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Well put Jack. Unlike Michael Andretti who came back early with his tail between his legs, looks like JPM is giving McLaren the bird...

21. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i think the whole mac team has a screwed up management...

22. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not sure about that. I can't stand Ron Dennis, but success does give him right sometimes.

Look at the mess over at Williams: They used to be my fav team back in the early eighties and what have they become? Two tyrants well past their prime. No wonder BMW run away from them.

Regardless the worst still has to be Toyota's management sitting in Japan killing off the only guy who had a clue about their F1 team.

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    On a different note:

Montoya could have stayed in F1: He had an offer from Williams and declined. Williams was about to sack Webber for him. I would have liked to see that.

24. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    It occurs to me that I saw, on SpeedTV, a notice from "race control" during the USGP that the first lap incident would be investigated after the race, but I never heard anything about the results of that investigation.

Could shipping Montoya to NASCAR be a deal to avoid a fine/penalty?

Just a thought.

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I didn't hear an official word, but telemetry showed that JPM didn't break at all when he run into Kimi. Guilty as charged.