MONTOYA SACKED! | FerrariChat

MONTOYA SACKED!

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tifosi12, Jul 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #1 tifosi12, Jul 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dennis fired JPM. De la Rosa already took over and will start at the French GP.

I guess this is the last shot I had a chance of taking of the Columbian cowboy in a F1. :(
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jonnypops

jonnypops Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    where does it say he was fired..? D:

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Pretty foolish, unless Ron Dennis has already conceded this season. Wouldn't you want your best guy in the car, even if he's going somewhere else next year? After all, look at Renault

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    De la Rosa is no star material, but maybe he can bring the McLaren home in one piece. Something JPM didn't manage in the last two races.

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    A loss for McLaren. I don't think it was Ron firing him, though, this close to the end of the season. Both sides seemed unhappy and I think they just came to terms. Juan has a kid already and another one soon and traveling all over the world takes a toll on the family. He probably wanted out because of that for at least 1 reason. As soon as he was guaranteed a job somewhere else, no real reason to stay, I mean, travel.

8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    If 'bringing the car home' is the hallmark of success, Kimi should have been sacked years ago.

This is just sour grapes on the part of the McLaren organization, but will work in JPM's favor for 2007

9. kirill

kirill Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Kirill
    That's probably why De La Rosa was chosen, I wounder if De La Rosa will bring more points than JPM

Ron Dennis still remembers last year tennis accident and with new JPM's kid on horizon ...

10. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    Is there a contractual agreement that states that he will still get paid for the rest of the season?

11. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    According to extremely reliable sources:

Carol

A statement issued by McLaren on Tuesday morning claimed that the team and driver had reached a mutual agreement for him to step down immediately. He will be replaced by Spaniard Pedro de la Rosa, who last raced for the team at last year's Bahrain Grand Prix.

Montoya will now spend time at home in Miami with his family to finalise his preparations for his switch to NASCAR. Future boss Chip Ganassi had made it clear that he wanted Montoya to compete in some NASCAR Busch races this season.

Speaking in the McLaren statement, Montoya said: "I know that it will be a tough transition but I'm really excited about the opportunity to move into the NASCAR championship. I have enjoyed most of my time in Formula One and I'm grateful for this opportunity to settle my personal life and concentrate on my future career."

There were suggestions in the Spanish press on Tuesday that Montoya's parting with McLaren was the result of a breach of contract caused by the Colombian announcing his NASCAR deal without his current team's knowledge.

McLaren boss Ron Dennis said: "Juan Pablo is an exciting driver and immensely likeable character who will undoubtedly make a successful transition to the NASCAR scene.

"We have agreed that with so many things happening in Juan Pablo's life right now, he should take some time out of the car and prepare professionally and personally for the future."

The news brings an end to Montoya's Formula One career after 94 starts. He won seven races and scored a total of 30 podiums.

McLaren could not confirm that de la Rosa would be in the car for the rest of the season.

12. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    IMO, JPM was not forced to leave McLaren because of his inability to finish races, but more for his inability to not crash into others, including his own teammate.

JPM and McLaren was not a good fit. If you look at McLaren/Ron Dennis history, they have always had level headed, cerebral drivers. Fearless and competitive yes, but not to the point of rackless or hot headed. As in the recent years, drivers such as Lauda, Senna, Prost, Mika and Kimi.

I have to admit, I took all these threads about him going to NASCAR as a joke. This came as a total and complete surprise to me. I was expecting to see him in CHAMP or IRL and maybe even Sportscars but never would I have ever expected to see him in NASCAR.

13. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    F1's loss is NASCARS gain, I'm looking forward to seeing Montoya wooping some butt.

14. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Chip Ganassi has his "fingers in many racing venue pies" and of all, NASCAR does seem to make the most sense for many reasons.

It appears that now is the time to make a change in his career and when the opportunity presents itself, you certainly take advantage of same.

Carol

15. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    JPM was terminated for "breach of contract". JPM did not expect this action from McLaren. Apparently Ron Dennis heard about JPM's move to NASCAR after the press conference, a really stupid move on JPM's part. You do not burn your bridges in F1 and embarrass the hand that has fed you well for the last few seasons.

All JPM had to do was to tell Ron Dennis before the world knew so Ron could save face and say he gave his blessing. Brain fade on the track, brain fade off the track, JPM will be eaten alive in NASCAR.

Despite this, I still hate to see Montoya leave F1. He did put on a few stellar performances.

16. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Why would he go into IRL or Champ? the future of those series' are uncertain, also the money and fame wouldn't be nearly as much as it would in Nascar. Danica is now considering it for the same reasons.

17. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

Ummm, if you saw the press conference, Montoya himself said he called Ron Dennis and Norbert Haug that am before the press conference. Your story is simply false

18. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    You are correct. JPM called RD and NH before the press conference. He did say they did not sound very happy when he told them.

The parting of JPM and McLaren is simple - why have someone drive for you if they are no longer motivated. Like the press release said, he has so many things going on in his pro and personal life right now on top of the lack of motivation.

I would have liked to see JPM go out on a high though. If you guys remember he stepped up his game in the 2nd half of last season. McLaren are slowly catching up now and I am sure JPM would have won a race by the end of the season. I'm sure Kimi will win at least one too.

19. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    DAMN...huge news!!!

20. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    so now kimi's choices are:
    1. stay at mclaren and drive against the young and aggressive recent 2 time wc, (who was hired without your knowledge or consent), continue on same salary, but feel slighted by your mentor every day....
    2. go to ferrari, where they really really want you, and drive against the aging but tenacious 7 time wc who built the team around himself over the last 10 years, but get paid more and have the chance of being the number one in a year's time. (eat better pasta too !).
    3. or go to renault and drive against a fast but inconsistent aging almost-champ on a one year contract, for a team manager who is ruthless and rapacious, for a lot more money, but they are french after all....

i am partial, so i guess i would pick ferrari. and if i was looking for a little poke in ron's eye on the way out, i would definetely go to ferrari.

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    When did looser Fisichella become an almost-champ?

22. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    guess i was being too kind......but my reference was to the way he started off last year and looked like he was going to be the one. that was before alonso started winning everything.

23. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    WHat reason would they have to be unhappy? It was already common knowledge that he would be leaving McLaren at the end of the year. From what I read they'd offered him a seat but at much reduced money from what he's on now & he'd already refused it. Besides that, after what they did with Alonso, "Pot, meet Kettle!"

If JPM was really motivated to win the WDC the money wouldn't really matter. I suspect its more of an issue for him though because he got stiffed for money by Williams & had to sit there for 3 years watching Ralf "useless" earning 3 times the money.

I.

24. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    "The news brings an end to Montoya's Formula One career after 94 starts. He won seven races and scored a total of 30 podiums."

Whatever you may think of him, a good career. He was entertaining as one of the only drivers crazy enough to try to pass, was not a talking head, and I wish him and his family success back in America.

25. kirill

kirill Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Kirill
    On USGP i talked to Renault mechanic - he said Flav is nice person to work for.