Montoya Dismissed | FerrariChat

Montoya Dismissed

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by WDR328, May 25, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WDR328

WDR328 Formula 3

Dec 11, 2003
    The Bugscuffle Inn
    Full Name:
    D. Rose
    Apparently, Mr. Dennis has informed his number 2 driver, JPM that his services will not be required for the 2007 season at McClaren Mercedes. This is very interesting since Ron told the press earlier that he would not replace both drivers. So does that mean Kimi is not going to Ferrari?

2. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Interesting... what's the source?

3. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Bob Varsha mentioned it in the Speed coverage of Monaco this morning.

Gary

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I guess it sucks to be him right now

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'd say his star has been on a constant decline since 2002. I expect him next year in a midfield car. Replacing Trulli at Toyota perhaps?

6. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    What is the merit to telling a driver that they will no longer be needed before half the season is over? Maybe JPM was pushing the point, maybe not, but his motivation must be affected.

Rumor has been that Telefonica (Renault) wants JPM, so I would not feel too sorry for him so soon. If he can curb his attitude, and if Renault stays strong in 2007, JPM could be a player at Renault.

7. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Perhaps Montoya didn't turn out to be the new Michael Schumacher, but rather the new David Coulthard. Surely an adequate driver, but just can't cut it at a topteam, despite the odd success. The midfield would indeed suit him better I suppose.

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I don't know, getting away from McLaren is not all that bad when you consider the way they are performing this year. Renault may grab him, although I don't know what Flabio thinks of JPM ?

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Toyota will likely be a top team in a few years...along with Honda.

10. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Well, same thing as Montoya telling Williams prior to the start of the 2004 season, that he would be joining McLaren in 2005. As Alonso has done as well this year.

I can see Renault replacing Fisichella with Montoya. Renault is said to be making their decision on Fisico in the coming days, so it would perhaps be natural that the news of Fisico's departure at Renault, coincides with the news of Montoya landing that seat.

11. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I think it is good of Ron to let him know early enough as it would give him a lot of time to shop for a drive for next year. I think JPM might have known the writing is on the wall based on his last few race performances.

I used to be a JPM fan but his inconsistency and lack of speed has made me forget about him.

12. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
  13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    My favorite driver is JPM, but I don't like him as much as I did before. I would be glad to see him at BMW again replacing Jacques.

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  15. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze

wow, this is a real surprise. considering the fact that ron was full of praises to jpm few months back in F1 racing mag.

p/s : pat symonds stated once that he's not a fan of monty and says that he's always inconsistent. but then again, few days ago, i read somewhere that said that one of the mac drivers were on their way out to renault, could be jpm anyways. plus, renault's CEO said they will get a star driver's signature...

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You might be right, but then again we've been saying this for years. They both clearly have the potential yet somehow don't manage to get the package together.

Whether JPM lands at Renault replacing Fisico or not to me is immaterial: Replacing one has-been with another has-been ain't gonna change anything, neither for the team nor for the driver.

Flav needs a #1 driver and a support #2. Kovalainen will be the star and a non prima donna (that excludes JPM) like e.g. Heidfeld would be #2.

17. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Sounds like Kimi won't be at Ferrari next year, that or McLaren will pair up Alonso and Hamilton next year. The plot thickens.

18. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I don't think he's that inconsitent. Look at the car. Kimi isn't doing so hot in it either.

Juan: 5th, 4th, DNF (electrical), 3rd, DNF (engine), DNF (spin)
    Kimi: 3rd, DNF (accident), 2nd, 5th, 4th, 5th

So far, I'd say JPM is right where he should be, averaging 4th place. Two DNFs weren't his fault. I'd say if he had a more reliable car, he'd do better. If he was in the Renault, he would've probably had a win by now.

19. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    prob got tired of his whining....

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    So does Fisico. That's not saying much.

I used to believe in JPM and his whining didn't bother me. But his lack of results does. I'd say he'll be soon forgotten if he isn't already.

21. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze

i agree, but i guess what pat meant was his consistency over the years.

22. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    At the end of the day, I think it just comes down to the car. Look at Kimi this year and 2 years ago and MS last year. I'm not saying Montoya is champion grade material, but I think he's consistent given the proper equipment, which is not what the Mercedes engine is.

I actually think the "second grade driver" comments he's gotten from some F1 people are pretty accurate. I think he'd make a great number 2 driver, like Rubens, on a good team. If he was at Renault last year, they wouldn't have had any problems like they did last year securing the CC in the last couple races. Just remembered that Rubens and Juan are good friends, too. The similarities are amazing. :D

23. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Montoya is done, good riddens

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Will you please tell him that?

Let us know how it went. Somehow I remember an incident with a camera man. :)

25. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    It's all really what equipment you have. If JPM had been at Renault for the past few years, he'd be a WC now. Likewise, if FA was at McLaren, he'd be on the ropes. At that level, the differences in the driver are minimal compared to the cars.