Monterey reveal | FerrariChat

Monterey reveal

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by jm2, Aug 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    That is super cool

I wish cars still looked like that ;)

3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    :D
    pretty cool,huh?

4. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    i read about this, fantastic! ...is the car all done/ready now for the 17th show?

5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Last I spoke with Stewart(2 weeks ago),they were still scrambling to get it done in time for The Quail.But I'm sure they'll make it.By now it must be done to allow time for shipping,etc.

6. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    that will be great to see pics of finished, looking forward to that!

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    +1 looks absolutely stunning even though those pictures show just the initial phases of it...most cars look terrible while in progress, but not that design.

Can't wait to see the completed car...even if it doesn't finish in time, which I'm sure it will, it will still look better than 99.99999% of cars out there.

Thanks for the heads up!

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    What a beautiful car.

9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    +1
    being a designer,I'm sure you can appreciate the gravity of being given this kind of assignment
    having to body the chassis with a "new" body,that looks like an original,but isn't,has to be a weighty responsibility
    I'm anxious to see the finished car

10. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    well guys, i just dunno.....it sure looks like a t57 aerolithe plus plus...however, who's to say that jean would continue the aero look?? this [new] coachwork has a few bugatti elements and a mix of other teardrop designs of the time [not to mention a bit of colani]...jean was certainly not as reactionary as his dad [gotta have a beam front axle no matter what!!] and just might have broken even this design barrier that was so adamantly embraced by others at the time. a wonderful job to be sure, but at best a tribute to jean by what us modern designers think he might have done. no way to know really....[for a ref, check out the bugatti airplane]

just so i don't get too dumped on i have designed a few vintage bodies myself, including a period drophead type 46 and a type 37 cabin speedster....

11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Agree,and this is what I was making reference to.No matter what the designer does with this chassis,someone will take issue with it because "it isn't what Jean would have done",or it's too literal.

It is an homage to the French teardrop look of that era.Is it what Bugatti would have done "next",we'll never know.

Used to work for a gentleman,the late Dave Holls,that did several "rebodies" on older chassis,and used to wonder what the heck I would have done in a similar situation .Strother MacMinn at Art Center College of Design did several"new/old" bodies as well,but Strother's training & background was founded in those classics of the '30's.

It IS a tough assignment,IMHO.