Monterey 2011 Discussion Thread | FerrariChat

Monterey 2011 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by BrianZuk, Aug 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BrianZuk

BrianZuk F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2007
    NorCal (Bay Area)
    Full Name:
    BrianZuk
    #1 BrianZuk, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
    Thought it would be worth starting a thread with information, questions, answers, discussion and anything else pertaining to this years auto week in Monterey. I know there are many events that week, but I'll start off by posting some information about a few:

*Pebble Beach Tour D'Elegance: August 18th - 7am to 3pm - cars line up near Collins Field in Pebble Beach, CA
    http://www.pebblebeachconcours.net/pages/3023

*Russo and Steel Auction: August 18th through 20th - 5pm to 10pm - In Marriott Hotel, 350 Calle Principal, Monterey, CA
    http://www.russoandsteele.com/

*Concorso Italiano: August 19th - 9am to 5pm - Laguna Seca Golf Ranch, Monterey, CA
    http://concorso.com/

*The Quail: A Motorsports Gathering : August 19th - 10am to 4pm - Quail Lodge Resort and Golf Club, Carmel, CA
    http://www.quaillodgeevents.com/pages/thequail.cgi

*Gooding & Company Auction: August 20th 5pm - August 21st 6pm - Pebble Beach Equestrian Center, Pebble Beach, CA
    http://www.goodingco.com/all_auctions/event_information/pebble_beach

*Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion: August 19th to 21st - times in link - Laguna Seca Raceway, 1021 Monterey-Salinas Highway, Salinas, CA
    http://www.mazdaraceway.com/rolex-monterey-motorsports-reunion-0

*RM Auction: August 19th and 20th - 6:30pm to aprox 11:00pm - Portola Hotel & Spa and Monterey Conference Center, 2 Portola Plaza, Monterey, CA
    http://www.rmauctions.com/default.cfm?SaleCode=MO11

*Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance: August 21st - aprox Dawn until nightfall - The Lodge at Pebble Beach, 17-Mile Drive, Pebble Beach, CA
    http://www.pebblebeachconcours.net/

-BrianZuk
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BrianZuk

2. BrianZuk

BrianZuk F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2007
    NorCal (Bay Area)
    Full Name:
    BrianZuk
    #2 BrianZuk, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
    Question I have. What debuts, new cars, concepts, etc. will be at the events, mainly on the concept lawn at Pebble Beach?

Concorso: I believe Aventador, and Kepler Motors will debut their 'Motion' car.

PBC: I have heard Mclaren MP4-12C GT3 and Zagato TZ3
    guesses: Pagani Hauyra, Ksegg Agera/R, SSC Tuatara, Gumpert Tornante, Jaguar C-X75, Ferrari 599 SA, Aston Martin V12 Zagato, SLS Roadster, etc...

Thanks,
    Brian

3. Chris-CXC Simulations

Chris-CXC Simulations Formula Junior
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris Considine
    The Zagato will be there.

4. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    I've never been but I am going this year. I've heard that since there is so much going on, you have to have a set plan and stick to it. I was thinking of just going and walking around Monterey street-spotting for this first year until I can figure out what and what not to go to. Good or bad idea?

Looking forward to it either way.

Best,
    -G.B.

5. SillyPuppy

SillyPuppy Formula 3

Aug 2, 2005
    GOOD idea, G.B.

The first year we were there for Car Week, we actually just stumbled across it all by accident. You'll fully enjoy walking around Carmel and Monterey (downtown, Fisherman's Wharf, etc.), being in a surreal world where it seems like everyone's got something fun to drive.

Sure, you can go to some "organized" events, like Concorso, but I think the most fun part of being there is driving around from your hotel, to lunch, for example, and seeing everyone driving around in the sun with their cars... Everything from 308s to Veyrons...

By all means, give me a call when you're down there, I'd like to finally meet you in person!

Orrie

6. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Thanks for the tip Orrie! :) During the Ferrari Challenge at Infineon, I saw your 355 in the corral. I was standing next to it and thought to myself, "He'll come over soon enough to see what kind of idiot is standing next to his car..."
    10 minutes goes by

I thought to myself, "Wait for it..."
    Another 3 minutes goes by
    Thought to myself, "Alright I guess not...I'll run into him some how. I'll PM you in a short while and we'll discuss more. I'd love to meet up.

Best,
    -G.B.

7. SillyPuppy

SillyPuppy Formula 3

Aug 2, 2005
    Very cool, G.B. You've got 3+ days to bump into me down there. We'll make it happen.

Hey, does anyone know if there's anything casual going on, on Thursday night (the 18th)? We had the Baja Cantina thing a couple years back, and I'd like to do something like that again (is Baja Cantina doing anything?)... We're driving down that day, but by the evening, we're refreshed enough to hang out and catch up with everyone...

8. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    GB,
    Try to make it a point to get to the lawn in front of the pebble beach lodge on Friday or Sat. You will see a multitude of new concept and new models on display for free. Last year the 918 Spyder just pulled to park amongst mob to satisfy the curiosity of all those that were in attendance. Ocean Ave, Carmel during the day is like driving or walking around Monaco. Auctions in Monterey at night. Concorso Italiano, on Friday, of course!

9. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Thanks for the tip! I'm making a list of places to go as we speak. :cool:

Looking forward to it!

Best,
    -G.B.

10. jonack

jonack Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Berkeley, California
    Full Name:
    J. Clark
    With some luck and a bit of work my Lamborghini will be on the lawn of the Quail Lodge for the show on Friday. Come done a see it..

11. BrianZuk

BrianZuk F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2007
    NorCal (Bay Area)
    Full Name:
    BrianZuk
    Hearing 918 and 918 RSR will be at PBC as well...

12. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    #12 malcolmb, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Beautiful!

14. SillyPuppy

SillyPuppy Formula 3

Aug 2, 2005
    Jim, I still haven't had a chance to meet you. Would like to congratulate you in person on your success with P4/5 Competitzione. Hope there's a way I'll be able to say Hi while we're all down there (I'm making the assumption that you're going again this year...).

Orrie

15. SillyPuppy

SillyPuppy Formula 3

Aug 2, 2005
    For those heading to Car Week on Thursday morning, coming from (or through) the Sacramento area, I'd like to invite you to drive down to Monterey together. We should leave Sac around 8:00 or 8:30, giving everyone plenty of time to settle into their hotel rooms, relax for a bit, and enjoy Thursday afternoon and night around the Monterey/Carmel area. No fancy roads or anything this time around - just a handful of freeways, though they have their fun parts, too, don't they? ;)

We'll meet at:

Starbucks
    2300 Longport Court
    Elk Grove, CA

Shell and Chevron are right there. Leaving at 8:30 for the Coast. Please feel free to join us, exotic or otherwise, to make the trip down fun. Please PM me or let me know if you're planning on joining us.

Thanks!
    Orrie

16. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Do people from SF Bay Area bring their Ferraris or their DDs?

17. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Ferraris..........unless their DD are Lamborghinis!

18. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    It is unfortunate that you are bringing that beautiful piece of machinery to Quail where it will, undoubtedly blend in with a lot of other stunning cars of different marques. Sure would look good leading the charge at Concorso. That car has Best of Marque written all over it.

Sincerely,
    Lowly Diablo owner

19. 4RE886

4RE886 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Looks like we are trying to bring a big contingent of Ferraris with the FOG Rally logos to help promote the charitable event. Anyone who is attending Holy Week and the
    FOG Rally in Sept please PM me and I will arrange to get the stickers for your cars.

20. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    D,
    bring the Ferrari! I've done it the past 2 years and really enjoyed having it down there. You will see, there will be exotics everywhere, and you will miss your car if you don't have it. I think all the FOG' ers that are going to Monterey/Carmel will be bringing their F-cars.

21. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #21 Red Head Seeker, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
    Thanks Brian for posting all those links.....much appreciated....I was looking at some Gooding's pre auction "estimates"....there is such a thing as being realistic, optimistic, and "Delusional"....I believe Goodings "estimates" fall into the later.....I wonder what economy they are living in?!......Mark

22. DLMphotos

DLMphotos Karting

Jan 4, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Drake

Good idea. That's what I did last year pretty much. However, if you wanna see the nicest cars (without paying, of course), you need to get around. For example, the valet lot at the Quail during the Motorsports Gathering was just as good as the show, but it's quite a hike to get there from Monterey or Carmel. Just my 2 cents.

23. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Thanks! I can drive around as well if that seems more logical.

:cool:

-G.B.

24. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    GB,if you are going to street watch for cars for free, there are no better areas to hang out at than the Lodge at Pebble Beach or Ocean Ave in Carmel. The problem is being able to find parking!

25. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    I figured parking would be difficult to find. It's ok; I honestly won't mind parking a mile (or two) away...I'll walk. :)

-G.B.