Mondial | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 2cam, Jan 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    I am dreaming of shipping my Mondial 3.2 Cab from California to Europe, then driving around from Spain to Italy. Do you know of anyone who has done that? Do you think it is an easy project?

2. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Well the last trip we have met people in Italy who shipped their two Corvettes from Texas to Europe and made a Euro trip.

We haven't asked how they did it, but I guess you will need to have someone or an organization who picks up your car(s) from the docks or airport depending how you ship it. Or that you fly over on the day it should arrive. Perhaps one day earlier to get familiar where you need to go etc.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I met a guy at the show in Corning this year who had an 82 US spec and I asked him if he wanted to race! Great guy. He wanted my extra 10hp haha. I dont care honestly how slow the mondials are, it's still my favorite Ferrari I've ever driven. It's not showy or extravagant, it's just a sensible sportscar for sensible enthusiasts I think. To each his own as always, but from this side of the road, I'm glad and always will be that I own one! People always ask "how fast is it? I'll bet it flies!" I usually reply with it's about as fast as my Sierra or my wife's 300hp SUV. And they say "really? That's it?" Then I take them for a ride and they say "wow this is great! Listen to that sound!" And the speed is all but forgotten. Find another car that does that. It really is the greatest sleeper of all time. Cheers!

paulchua likes this.
  4. SaratogaCA

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    Actually, I have an 86 Mondial 3.2 Cab, and almost each and every time I take it out, I have people coming up, taking pictures with it, or talking me up about it.

I think the cabs are absolutely beautiful, and they are great fun to drive.

- Sam in Saratoga

Il Steeg, paulchua and Mechanical Dad like this.
  5. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Most people who I talk too have never seen one or even knew about them.

paulchua likes this.
  6. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    VERY cool posts Paul!

2cam

paulchua likes this.
  7. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    I was at a gas station about a week ago and a guy in a 750il pulls up to the pump next to me and starts chatting up about the Mondial. He loved it and had a lot of questions about the car. As the conversation ran its course, he asked how fast it was. He seemed to be in a bit of shock (and even a bit disappointed) when I told him that his 750 was probably quite a bit faster than the Mondial. ;)

2cam

paulchua likes this.
  8. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    Had to do the math cause I’m a nerd. :cool:. Mondial 3.2 Coupe has 170bhp/ton. The 750il has 200bhp/ton. So yes the BMW would be a fair bit quicker from the Iights, especially with a 6-speed auto. But It is still pretty hefty at about 2000kg curb weight, compared to the Mondial at about 1500kg. In the words of Colin Chapman, hp makes you fast down the straight, low-weight makes you fast everywhere, so a tight circuit might provide a close race.

2cam and paulchua like this.
  9. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    I think this occurs fairly often. My HVAC guy (part owner of the company) used to be a dirt/clay track Sprint car driver back in the day, and he's a motorhead. I was showing him my '85 QV Cab in the garage after he checked out my '71 Mustang Mach 1 429 CJ-R 4 speed. He just stood there looking at the Ferrari and he said man that thing must be quick, which one of the two is faster. He seemed in disbelief when I said the Mustang is at 450 hp with a few classic mods (370 hp stock, but underrated) and the Mondial has 240 hp. lol It's a interesting comparison of vehicle types while driving. The Mach 1 slams you into the seat with each shift due to the massive torque (500 lb-ft), but the Mondial shifts smoothly and the power builds as the rpms increase. That mechanical symphony going on behind you sounds very impressive at higher rpms! Now of course if you want to introduce handling into the equation, the Mondial would be the clear winner, as the Mach 1 is a stoplight drag type of car (stripper with no PS or AC).

10. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    This company does a lot of round trip shipping from US to Italy for the Mille Miglia. Many serious collectors use them. They handle everything, door to door. I used them once to send a car to Europe one way. The owner is a real car guy. They are the best, but not cheap.

http://www.cosdel.com

This other company I have looked at in the past but never used. You can get an online quote. I found that the cheapest route was into LeHavre in France.

https://www.wcshipping.com

11. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Guess which one I would prefer to own regardless of the performance specs? ;)

2cam

Mark C Harvey likes this.
  12. SaratogaCA

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    How about insurance in Europe? Does the standard Hagerty's policy cover?

- Sam in Saratoga

13. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I have no idea, the car I sent was going to stay there.

But that's the type of stuff that Cosdel will guide you through.

14. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Would you start a thread about your weekly Ferrari trip in Italy? I would love to know the details......Are you shipping your car there from the US, driving in from France ........how are you getting the cars to Italy? Or is this your home country. I have been thinking how much fun it would be to take my Mondial 3.2 to Italy for the summer.

15. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Easy yes. Inexpensive ah I don't know. Rent one?

16. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    That does sound like fun. Last year for a buddy's 50th, we kicked around the idea of going over for a week and renting a couple of Abarth 500s to run around in. Unfortunately, we couldn't nail that down so ended up doing a cycling trip to watch the Giro instead. Still fun, but it would have been a blast to take the Abarths for a spin around the same area or much further North up around Trento. ;) I love Italy!

2cam

17. SaratogaCA

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    There are three reasons why I don't want to rent:
    1- Cost. It turns out if you want to drive around Europe for about a month, the cost of renting a Ferrari is more than the cost of shipping your own,
    2- Miles. Most Ferrari rental places put severe limits on how many miles a day you can drive.
    3- Sentimental reasons. I want to drive around Europe in my own Ferrari with California Historic license plates. I don't want to do it in a rental.

But none of this is something I will be doing in the immediate future. I think in a couple of years, I will take out the engine in my Mondial, put in Nick's timing belt upgrade, put in coil-over-plug upgrades, put in a new starter, new fuel pump, and upgrade anything else that looks like it needs an upgrade (including all the hoses.) I figure about $15K overall in costs. Then, I would feel comfortable and confident driving the car around Europe.

At this point, this is nothing more than a hope and a dream.

- Sam in Saratoga

18. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Shoot for the stars. It only cost's a little more to go first class.

19. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I live in The Netherlands so it is easy to drive to Italy. I know people ship their cars to Europe, but I have no idea where the ship to or start their journey.
    For us it is not only driving to Italy fun, but also the trip to Italy where we usually take our time in between (2 day drive, each approx. 600miles) to visit a car museum or do something that involves cars. Then we spend around 5 days in Italy and hit the road again to go back.

Driving in Italy with any Ferrari is an experience you will have nowhere else! this is an experience you will need to feel yourself as it is indescribable. The emotion and passion Italian people have of these cars goes beyond your imagination. you can see this in the first post https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/trip-to-enzo-ferraris-home-country.448581/page-3#post-143154085

If there are people interested to go I we could organize something en perhaps start off in The Netherlands, driving through 2 or 3 countries including the Germans highway.

A taste of my trips. I'm going this May for the 8th time to Italy with the Mondial :cool:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/trip-to-enzo-ferraris-home-country.448581/

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/italian-2016-trip-with-a-fun-factor-added.520421/

Allen S., 2cam and jkstevens2 like this.
  20. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Thank you so much! You set me up with some good reading!!!! Now I want to explore how to get my Mondial over to Europe.

21. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    How my T coupe is not worth more than a hundred grand is beyond me. Took it out yesterday. It’s fun to drive, sounds incredible, gets a million stares. These cars are amazing. I feel like I’m stepping back in time to the 80s when I drive it. So happy I bought this car.

22. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    #47 2cam, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Agree completely! The Mondials really are cool cars, aren't they? I took mine out for a bit yesterday as well. I stopped at the gas station before heading out and that turned into a 15 minute st with 3 different people walking over to ask about the car. One of them was in a beautiful Grand Sport C6 Corvette convertible. He was a car guy and seemed to know a surprising amount about the Mondials. If nothing else, I think Bring a Trailer has really been a source of education for a lot of people on different special interest cars including the Mondial. The drive after was fun - the sound, smell, and feel of the cars is fantastic.

2cam

Allen S. likes this.
  23. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Yea the smell of the interior just melts my heart every single time I get it it. Sometimes I just open the door and stick my head in to take a whiff.

24. Marcelo Valmorbida

Mar 13, 2019
    Full Name:
    MARCELO CASTRO VALMORBIDA
    Hello

I live in Brazil and need to change the tires of a Mondial Coupe 1984. What is the right tire I can use?

25. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Are you in Belo Horizonte? That’s where my wife is from.