Mondial tires.....or, tyres! | FerrariChat

Mondial tires.....or, tyres!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by surfdoc37, Nov 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. surfdoc37

surfdoc37 Karting

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    I have a '84 Mondial Cab which I have either enhanced or sullied by mounting a set of 360 wheels on it to replace the factory TRX rims. Got a great deal on the wheels which came with the 360 OEM Pirellis (215 front, 275 rear) still mounted on them. The handling always seemed a little squirrely to me after that but I had sort of written it off to "normal" chassis rigidity issues in the cab.

Anyhow, the rear Pirelli's were bald after I put another 3,000 miles on them (reportedly 8,000 miles total-WOW!) so I went off to the Tire Rack in search of replacement rubber. Original specs called for 240/55/390 all around, so I decided to get a little closer to that geometry with the new tires if possible, and I also decided that my 20+ year old car didn't need the stickiest tires available. I purchased a set of Avon M550/AS from the Tire Rack, both because of generally strong user reviews and low, low price, 225/45 on the 7.5" front, 255/40 on the 10" rear.

I couldn't be more pleased with the results. Handling is vastly better, and I have traction in the rain, with a shot at testing in the snow in a couple days. Just terrific. Don't know how they will wear, but pretty sure I'll get more than 8,000 miles out of them.

2. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Like the sound of that. Any pictures?