Mondial t rear seat belts | FerrariChat

Mondial t rear seat belts

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by lusso64, Apr 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    I have an 89 t cab that only has lap belts, but would prefer at least 3 points for the kids. Has anyone ever made this upgrade?

I am also trying to get some basic info about removing the centre console switch panel and a source for the weird little screws that hinge the roof frame.

Just hit 50,000 miles on the car and it is running great. Averaging 24mpg on my daily commute too.

Dave

2. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    I'd be interested in such a thing as well.

3. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Buzz, it looks like we're on our own with this.

I'll spend some time over the weekend pulling the car apart to see if there is any way to securely mount a top sash.

I had read a post where someone put 4 point harnesses in the rear, but I can't find that post now, and don't recall if the car in question was an 89 or later.

Dave

4. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    I guess the 1991 and later shoulder contraptions are out, huh? I remember seeing a picture of a late version t cab and the rear seating area seemed to be "filled" with belts attaching here and slinging there. Looked awful.

5. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Glad you're enjoying your 't' Dave. Sounds like the drive to Orange County is going pretty well.

I'd be interested in the belt upgrade also. Kids+lap belt is not satisfactory.

6. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Fortunately I'm not in OC any more - that commute really sucked. Now I'm in Calabasas but I drop the kids off at school in Simi Valley so I get a good run all round. Still, 140 miles a day is wearing a little thin....

I also broke a roof latch yesterday :(

Anyone out there have a spare they'd like to sell cheap? Broken is fine. Otherwise I'm going to try and fabricate a new part for it on the weekend.

7. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    the mounting points for the convertible top....although harness bars are in common practice for track 3-point harness mounting..they seemed not in favor here on f-chat as they are likely to bend and not stong enough in a accident ( no matter the strength of the bar??) so who know I guess the shoulder belt itself could bolt to the conv. top mounting bolt and do away with the bar and then the shorter part could mount on the same bolt as teh lap bolt..I will take a better look at my T this wknd.

8. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield

First off, a warm hello to you and Carina.

I think we need to get some machine shop to make a proper titainium latch for us Cab. people. The factory part price is unreal (like $400.US). I'm going to make some call and see if I can get this off the ground.

Cheers & be well,
    Hank

9. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Which part, the female on the windshield frame or the male assembly on the top itself? And where do they commonly break? I didn't think latches broke that often...

10. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    #10 MondialTCab, Apr 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sorry, been off the boards for a bit. Here is my belt setup...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    John,

That's it! Can you share any info about this? How, what, where, when, who..... you know, just the usual 60 questions :)

Seriously though, any info you can provide would be great.

Thanks, Dave

12. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    #12 lusso64, Apr 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not sure if this is a common weakness or I was clumsy or unlucky.

See the pics below, but the 'U' shaped piece is what broke. The arrows in each pic should be connected. I was thinking of making a new 'U' piece out of mild steel. This should cope a lot better than the cast alloy piece.

Titanium would be nice, but if one was to go to that trouble, then it might be easier to adapt a better mechanism from another make. The Miata ones probably won't suit due to their shape, but they are much sturdier in appearance and are made of steel. And for the price of 2 OEM Ferrari latches, you could buy an entire car!

Food for thought anyway...

13. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    How - Me
    What - Sparco USA belts (2"), local upholstory shop
    Where - Errr....in the back seat?
    When - After 92 totalled...I specifically shopped for a non-Ferrari 3 point back seat as they were never tight enough for the kids safely
    Who - Me again...

Seriously...I picked up the belts at Speedware Motorsports. I had them shortened enough to fit the kids at that age (about 2 & 4) and still long enough to fit me.

Lower mounting points are the stock Ferrari mounting points. The upper mounting point (I combined the upper shoulders at one mounting point) was drilled through the back shelf and reinforced below with a steel plate. I put a spacer between the belt ends to stop rattling. Yes...I drilled into a Ferrari...I care more about my kids than the car!

Works great...kids feel safe and it grows with them as they grow. (about 5 years now...) Adults still fit under the belts...fitting into the seats is another matter.

Best part is that they passed several stops with the locals without a booster since they are 4 pointed in.

Did I miss anything?

- TCab

14. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    John, Thank you so much for this info. I guess I'm getting the drill out on the weekend too.

You are so right - the kids are more important than anything.

Thanks again, Dave

15. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    Since you are serious...these are the exact steps I followed.

1 - Figure out where you are going to drill, cover with tape and mark the spot where you are going to drill with a pencil - then center punch it.

2 - Cut out (exacto knife) a bit of the leather so it does not rip. (It is going to be covered but since we are doing this...let's do it right.)

3 - Work your way up in bit size after making a pilot hole.

4 - I used stainless bolts and got some black caps so it looks clean with the roof up. I used the mounting bolts on the bottom (OEM) to get the right diameter/threading and make sure they are long enough to go through the belts, spacer, backing plate and two locking nuts...did not want them vibrating loose.

5 - I don't have the measurements any more for the belts but I got them, sat in the back and measured for me by having them held down behind my head and then adjusting into place - max length

6 - measure the minimum you want to have them tight on the seat - minimum length. If they are too long, they will flap around in the wind...

7 - Enjoy...

- TCab

16. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    Very common issue...I have been thinking about having some made as extras but don't have a good machining contact. If you hve one, I would put in an order for two as I know they will go eventually.

- JMG

17. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt

Very cool setup!!