Mondial "t" idiot lights | FerrariChat

Mondial "t" idiot lights

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Fyrrari, Jul 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fyrrari

Fyrrari Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    David
    I posed on the q/a tech thread, and got some pretty good answers, but I thought I would cast a wide net and post here also.

In a nutshell I have a 1991 Mondial "t" that I have just had the battery and alt. rebuilt/replaced. Within 300 miles since that service, the battery light chose to come on last night for the first time and remained on for at least 20 miles! When it finally decided to take a break and go back off, the check engine 1-4 light decided to make an appearance 3-4 times! Eventually it also decided to join the battery light and went back off also. It sounds like a grounding problem, but I wasn't sure if this was a common situation and where to check first. Are there any known problem connections/grounding straps? The headlights did not dim and the car did not stall, so could this have just been a phantom sighting??? I do not want to find out the hard way that my battery is not getting "any", and my manual does not really seem to want to tell me what the check engine 1-4 specifically monitiors!

Any suggestions would be met with a smile. And thanks to the two f-chatters that have already pointed me in a certain direction.

Fyrrari...aka; "Blinky"

2. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hey "Blinky",

Sounds like it was nothing serious, though you did rebuild the alt. & new batt? Connections are still sleeping and probably other things too. The downside of a super low mileage Ferrari is unfortunately, "Sleep Gremlins". Sadly, it's the price of admission to "The Perfect Garage Queen".

You'll get through it and ultimately, will drive anywhere without any fear. Just up your AAA card to "Premium", and enjoy

Hey, if all you did since you were born, was to get up out of bed and walk around the bedroom once each day, you wouldn't work too well either:) Don't panic. She just needs to start working out.

Cheers, Hank

3. Fyrrari

Fyrrari Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    David
    Hank,

I hope you are right, and I figure to be on the safe side I will check all of the Battery connections and the alternator connections. It has been roughly 3 months since I had the Battery replaced and the Alt. fixed (It had fried its little diodes-I think by being "overcharged", and by that I mean by electricity not the other overcharging that we Ferrari owners frequently experience!)

It was just disturbing to see my little friend re-lit again after throwing some money at it to make it go away. And that little added bonus of the check engine light was a little upsetting. What does that monitor anyway? Perhaps you have already answered that -gremlins.

I think by exercising this little pony I will most likely end up "exorcising" the little gremlins.

I know atrophy well-I was involved in a "head on" 3 years ago-broke both of my legs. Took me a while to start walking again. I'm all 'fixed' now due to good doctors and exercise!

I still owe you a phone call, so now it looks like we will have even more to chat about...Thanks for the advice.

Fyrrari

4. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Fyrrari,

Glad to hear you're OK - both legs, OUCH:-( Hey, if I see a Linda Blair bobble-head doll out here in La-La Land, I'll send it to you so you can mount her on your dash as a reminder to DRIVE TO EXORCISE. I don't want to read a year from now that you only have 4K on your Mondial. JUST KIDDING - You do what makes you smile.

My gremlins so far, have been limited to one bad thermostat. I consider myself very lucky:)

We'll chat soon -
    Cheers, Hank

5. Fyrrari

Fyrrari Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks Hank.

I plan on driving my Mondial more than the previous owner, that is why I purchased it and why he sold it!! I am grateful to have a Mondial with such low mileage, as I feel like I have some miles in the "odometer bank". The downside is the Gremlins...But I agree the more I drive the more they will leave me alone. Perhaps I should get a bell like they put on Harley's to keep the evil sprits away!

The busted up legs were a challenge, but in many ways that experience makes owning a F-car all that more rewarding. I now just appreciate life a little bit more, not that I needed to, but whatever works.

Who knows maybe it is the titanium rod in my leg, or the dozen screws in my knees, that are setting off the idiot lights in my car...I know they set off all kinds of lights down at the airport!

Fy"rod"y