mondial t headlamp hell | FerrariChat

mondial t headlamp hell

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by nationofzeros, Oct 18, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nationofzeros

nationofzeros Rookie

May 14, 2006
    dreamy doncaster
    Full Name:
    chris elliot
    Help - with the winter nights drawing in, I find myself saddled with the irritating problem of one headlamp staying up - symptoms as follows:-

Both headlamps go up, but LH one wont go down
    If I wind the LH assembly partway down manually, + then switch headlamps on, it then goes down fully before coming back up (+ then stayng up) - so motor does appear to be working both ways (although not sure whether it only rotates one way, across the top of the bump stops??)
    Fiddling around with the bump stops doesnt appear to have any effect
    Mechanics look OK and are well lubricated, nothing loose, winds manually freely up to bump stops in either direction
    Swapping all the relevent relays doesnt make any difference

Aargh! - how infuriating! Any ideas or well known maladies which fit the bill ???

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave

You're a better man than I...
    I usually grab a 12 gauge on let'er rip.

3. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    i'm going to say it's a relay problem. ferrari used 3 or 4, can't recall exactly right now, relays to operate the lights. switch the relays and see if the problem follows to the other light.

4. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You will need another headlight motor. Same thing happened to mine. I replaced the motor, and all was well.

BTW. I recall the motor only turning one way.

5. nationofzeros

nationofzeros Rookie

May 14, 2006
    dreamy doncaster
    Full Name:
    chris elliot
    OK thanks all. I swapped all the relays - no difference. Looks like new motor time - most frustrating when it does work after a fashion...

6. nationofzeros

nationofzeros Rookie

May 14, 2006
    dreamy doncaster
    Full Name:
    chris elliot
    Update - thanks for advice - swapped the motor and this indeed was the source of the problem. Fiddly job but straightforward enough in situ, i.e. without taking the headlamp chassis out as well. Motor was £125+VAT ex Eurospares whose service was A1

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Actually the problem is with the diodes on the motor assembly itself. If you do a search of "diodes" I imagine you can find the write up for the repair. About $3 for parts, but a bit of a pain to get to them and replace them. As I recall you have to cut into the gray rubbery coating on the outside of the motor to find the wiring and diode. It was covered for sure in the archives on the old F-chat site.

8. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Good show man. Good to hear its up & running again.

Diodes 'eh? I still have my old motor (why? I cant imagine). I will give that a shot for giggles.