Mondial t (348) DIY Major Service | FerrariChat

Mondial t (348) DIY Major Service

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by lusso64, Jul 7, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Well, now my ethnicity is no longer a secret, all my friends have shunned me. So, I guess I have nothing better to do than drop the engine out of the Mondial and do a major service.

If anyone has any hints or tips on removal from a t, please let me know, as I'm going to have a nap and then get started in a few hours. I'll be sure to posts pics and do a write up for those in some way interested.

I also need to check out the gearbox as it has the dreaded "clunk" on changes and changing power application. I strongly suspect it's the splined shaft and its gear. Hopefully a banana peel will solve that problem....

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Cant help you with tips mate, but I am looking forward to seeing pics. :):)

3. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    David,

Best of luck with your major. Bet I know from where you got your rebuild kit:) Did you tell Carina and the kids you'll be "gone" for a while? "Say goodnight to daddy - in the garage - but don't bother him" :)

Cheers, Hank

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Oh jeez.... I guess it's time to post a 'help wanted' ad at Ricambi. I told him to take it to Eugenio or Damian, but those Aussies are a stubborn bunch.

5. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Well, the car is raised, fluids drained, and undertrays removed. Talk about mangled! Shift cables are also off.

I am going to spend some time attempting to remove the AC compressor with the engine in situ so I don't have to disconnect the freon lines. I didn't drain the system first as my AC has never worked so I figured the system was empty. As I undid the first line, gas started to spew out, so I quickly tightened it up again.

You know, it never occurred to me that the AC may not work due to an electrical issue.... I mean, how could a Mondial t possible ever have any electrical problems given it's heritage of Mondial meets 348.....

So, time to check the manual to see if the bracket that holds the AC compressor can be easily removed, and off to see the Magic Flute tonight at the Hollywood Bowl. Priorities.... :)

6. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Nice progress mate. :):)
    Where are the pics? :):)

7. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    In the camera :D Really, nothing of interest yet, except my supplies (20+ cases of diet pepsi) and the mangled alternator shield. I am going to have to make a mould and make one out of fiberglass. Even at Ricambi staff discount prices, I can buy another car for the same as that shield.

8. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Lol! :p:p

9. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #9 Michael B, Jul 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have my T sub assembly out right now.

Any questions I can help with?

Lets see... Hints...

The two hoses at the front of the engine to the thermo etc are a wonder (yeah, I wonder what they were thinking when they designed it). Watch for those. Its a tight fit.

The wheel sensors will trick you into forgetting about them. One on each side.

My strut tops were sorta wedged in place and took some effort. They held me up for about 1/2 an hour. I can't wait to see how fun they are to get back in place...

All the ECU harness stuff was straight forward, but bulky.

There is a BIG oil line fitting waiting for you on the lower passenger side. Check to see if you have that wrench.

Pulling the A/C out of the way 'eh? I evacuated mine with a recovery machine and that made it pretty easy for me. But then I found a crack in my A/C bracket. Easy enough repair though. Best of luck with that anyhow.

Pretty simple to remove the trans after the sub assembly is out. Took me maybe 30 minutes including undoing CV bolts. I only removed the one bar from under the transaxle (they mention to remove the bar under the engine as well) and it came right out. I even left the e-brake cable attached to the bar.

Here are some action shots:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Oh yes. There are three bolts holding it in place, then the adjustment nut & bolt for tightening the belt. The bracket can come off easily enough but the three holes have tight tolerances and require it to be wiggled off with some vigor (read: its a *****).

Sorry. I hope yours comes off in one piece.

11. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    #11 lusso64, Jul 9, 2007
    Michael, thanks for the tips. I suspected it could be done. I am literally doing this in the office... errrr.... I mean garage (same thing). I'm not in any rush to do this so will be able to tinker around a bit as I go.

Here's the picture of that alternator shield thingy - or what's left of it...

12. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Hey David, I'm in your neck of the woods. If you want a hand, I'll be happy to swing by.

13. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Drop by any time. I work from home so I'm here all the time.

Just be warned, we have 4 kids under 10 and they're going stir crazy in the house. You'll get mugged for sure.

Cell is 805 300 3248.

14. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I'll give you a call.

15. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hey... I've got one just like that! :)

16. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Dont you mean 'mobie' number? :p:p

17. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Man, rough on the gear there eh? :p:p

18. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Stooge #1 is there, as we speak, loosening up David's nuts.

19. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mine also was swiss cheese...

20. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    I am SOOO glad you quoted that text. Otherwise, it could have been read in light of Daniel's post.

Anyway.... the car is doing an impression of a low rider, awaiting the removal of 4 more bolts and the raising of the body. I had to stop when I couldn't get off the ground (bloody knee).

A big thank you to Ernie who spent almost 5 hours with his head under the car being dripped on by oil, coolant, brake fluid, and power steering fluid.

And Pap, I've learned to speak the local lingo otherwise no one has a bloody clue what I am saying.

21. Guy Webster

Guy Webster Karting
    BANNED

Jun 13, 2007
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Guy Webster
    Great pics.

Guy Webster
    Pasadena

22. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Ernie's the man!! :):)

23. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Dave was disconnecting the lines that go the the fuel pressure regulators, and the engine cover SLAMMED on his arm. I hear this high pitch girly scream, eeeeeek, HAHAHAHA :D, and turned around to see the lid on his arm. I never knew you Aussies had such high pitch voices. No wonder PAP loves those damn shorts. Just bustin your balls Dave. :p I had to leave just as the engine was ready to come out. Only thing left was to sit it on the dolly, remove the loosened bolts, and roll it out.

Okay Dave, tell me you've rolled it out from under the car.

24. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    dave

ya' going to document the entire process with pics? IMO, I gotta hand it to ya' I did this once.....not again.

25. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    #25 lusso64, Jul 10, 2007
    Well, it's out!

Since Ernie had better things to do (like work) :D I had to get other help....

Thomas actually jacked up both sides of the car, 2 pumps on one side, then run to the other, another 2 pumps, run back etc etc. I just stood over the engine bay and checked everything for clearance. At 38 pounds he put all his weight into it.

I have plenty of pictures from along the way, and will create a step by step set of instructions on how to do this, as well as a list of all the lovely little tools and supplies that make the job easier..... like something to plug the power steering lines with. I really wish I had them!