Mondial operating (oil and water) temps....?? | FerrariChat

Mondial operating (oil and water) temps....??

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by CliffBeer, May 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Now that it's starting to get a little warmer out, a few questions about operating temps of Mondial 3.2s....

1. On a 75 degree day, what water and oil temps are mondial owners seeing (assuming 70mph on the highway)? Im at about 190 water and 205 oil.
    2. At what temp does the oil cooler fan come on?
    3. Is there an easy way to test the oil cooler fan operation? Jumper the connector at the sensor with the ignition on? Where is the sensor which triggers the fan located?

Thanks in advance for any help here!

2. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Can anyone help a little with this one? Thanks in advance.

3. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Cliff, the water and oil temps you are showing are nominal. Everything looks good. The fan switch for the radiator cooling fan is a VW part number that you can change to a different temperature spread, if you like. I think we use 93 degrees C on, 87 degrees C off, or something like that. On the oil cooler, it's unusual for that to come on unless you have very high ambient air temperatures (90 degrees F or higher) or have been on the track so that oil temps exceed 230-240 degrees F. I'll look in the workshop manual when I get to the shop and see if it specifies a value.

My experience with Mondial 2V, Mondial 3.0 QV and the t is that rarely does that oil cooler fan come on (the 8 didn't even have one, IIRC) and oil temps can get pretty high on the track (255-270 degrees F), which is why synthetics are the way to go. Remember that Mobil One ad with the frying pan? <grin>

-Peter

4. Shark49

Shark49 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Boone, NC
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I am seeing the same readings on my 3.2. Maybe a little lower on coolant because I added a bottle of redline water wetter to mine. I also did some maintence to all of my radiators on the car by spraying some very diluted degreaser on the fins and washing them down.
    -Nate

5. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Thanks for the information here - very helpful and much appreciated.

I wasn't too concerned about the running temps (oil and water) just yet - will be interesting to see what happens at 95 degree ambient as the summer arrives and some stop and go traffic is experienced!! If things start to get really hot I'll perhaps consider installing a lower temp range sensor for the oil cooler as suggested above - good idea - this might get some air moving sooner and help prevent an overheating.

One last question: do the 3.2 engines have oil squirters for the bottom side of the pistons? This was a basic, and highly effective, design addition to the 911 engine making oil running temps substantially less. If the 3.2 engine does not have these, I'll be wondering how difficult it would be to add in the next rebuild. Thank you!