Mirror control | FerrariChat

Mirror control

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Ray F, May 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    Can anyone help me find a two-mirror control switch? My car came with a single door mirror, but I like the balance and utility of one on each door; Brett has a second mirror for me, but I can't find a switch that controls both. The original version was mounted in the centre console, as per the single variant, but had a tab at the top which could be flicked left/right to control the appropriate mirror.

Eurospares don't have them - in fact the online parts manual doesn't even list the part - and I've had no joy with ebay or other online sources.

Thanks, Ray.

2. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Ray
    The 400i switch controls both Vitalone mirrors. It is located in the drivers door panel. It is BMW part #61-31-1-363-459. It was fitted to many early 320i's. I paid $60 2 years ago and it was in stock in regional warehouse. Some of the Beemers only adjust one side but part # given is for both mirrors. The Vitalone mirrors are four wire controls.

I was not sure what model you had since you talked about a console adjustment.
    Ken

3. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    That's great information to tuck away in the "someday I might need that file". Thanks for posting that!

4. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    #4 kliko312, May 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ray, Ken,

I have more or less the same problem. I have a 400i GT (series 1) with electric mirrors on both sides. I also do have a single switch in the centre console, which was missing when I bought the car. Brett provided me with the switch but when I was trying to mount it in my car I found out the plug in the car has 6 pins and the plug from the switch has only 4. I made a picture to point it out to you.

I cannot find out anything in any partmanual about the correct switch I need for my car. Does that BMW switch fit in the centerconsole and does it have 6 pins?

Basicly I don't know what to do. So far I had put the switch in the car without having it connected. Just for the looks...

Regards, Jan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #5 It's Ross, May 17, 2009
    Last edited: May 17, 2009
    This switch is used in all BMW 3,5 and 7 series from the early seventies until '88 except the E30 3 series. Ought to be plenty of them in wrecking yards if unavailable through the Bavarians.

6. britalian

britalian Karting

Feb 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    LL
    Only the series two (1983-1985) 400i & 412 use the BMW switch. The series one car uses a Vitaloni switch that is literally worth its weight in gold. We have tons of nos 1 mirror switches but the two mirror switch is very hard to find. You can try Maserati QP3, Late Merak, Late Bora, Late Khamsin, and Lambo CT sources but they likely won't have any either. If anyone comes up with a good answer please let us know so we can stock something.
    THANKS,
    Lee

7. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    Thanks Lee, I didn't know that such a switch is so hard to find.

Will it be possible to make it so that only one mirror will work?

Jan

8. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Resurrecting an old thread here, but I am in need of the two-mirror switch for my Series I 400iGT. Any idea where one can be bought? What is the Ferrari part number as it isn't listed in my parts manual - it just says "plate."

9. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    Schumi,

If I'm not mistaken it should be partnumber 110594 for the dual mirror control switch.

Good luck, Jan

10. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
  11. flaviaman

flaviaman Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Vernonia, OR
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    US Spec Alfa's have a switch for two mirrors that is very similiar (but not exactly the same) cosmetically. As I recall the GTV6 switch has a shorter "pigtail" which is very similar in length to the early 400's.

The Spider switch (model year 1981 to 89, Veloce and Quadrifoglio models had electric mirrors) should be more plentiful in wrecking yards, just cut the wires to length.

You might try the following for new...

International Auto Parts

Alfa Romeo North America (they sell parts via the web)

DiFatta Brothers

Fleabay

Hope this helps!

12. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    That is for a Series 2 car I think as it isn't what I have/need. Mine has a four direction toggle and a two position switch at the bottom. Thanks though.

13. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I don't think this is it either as I saw a picture of this switch and there isn't a switch for changing which mirror it controls. It looks different than mine as well. Mystery this is.

14. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    I'm sorry Schumi, I was wrong. I think it should be partnumber 113934.

Regards, Jan

dedo tanzi likes this.
  15. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I posted the BMW part number on this forum 5 or 6 years ago. It is about a $48 part and in-stock in their warehouses. It is from early 320i's. If you can not find via search I have a note in my book.
    Ken

16. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    BMW part # is 61-31-1-363-459. This is for the two-mirror switch. Some BMW's had the single mirror switch also.
    Ken

17. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    #17 Schumi, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is not the correct switch for a Series I 400i. Mine does not look like this:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
  19. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I thought I read a "late" 400i.
    Ken

20. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    That's the part! Sweet. Damn - that's expensive for such a little switch. I blame Maserati and Lamborghini. Thank you very much for finding such an elusive part.

21. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Resurrecting this old thread, in order to keep the relevant information on the same place.

Could anyone post a picture of the 6 pin connector as used on the 2 mirror setup? I am interested in the sequence of wires on the mirror side (not the switch side), in other words the order of the blue/yellow/red wires on the 6 pin connector.

The stutbacker enthusiasts have provided me with a Vitaloni diagram. Long story short, the 5th output of the joystick has to be connected to the blue cable of the left or right mirror in order to activate the corresponding mirror.

For anyone wanting to control at least one mirror with the single mirror control, the loose brown cable should be connected to a 12v source (cigarette lighter), the brown cable from the 4 pin connectors goes to the back wire, white > black, green > red, black>blue. As said, there are two blue cables, so pickup whichever controls the mirror you want to actuate (or use a toggle switch to control both).

Now if your car was later upgraded from single to two mirrors, you do not have blue/red/yellow cables for the additional mirror, so that's another story. More on that later in the other thread I've started earlier this week (have to chase a few gremlins first).

22. David Roberts

David Roberts Rookie

Jun 5, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    David Roberts
    Hi Ray,
    I’m looking for the same part.
    A black joystick toggle switch in the centre console with a mirror selector rotary around it.
    A vital I unit

23. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I've been looking for one for years. If anyone finds some please let me know.

24. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #24 raemin, Oct 19, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    Got one from ToddSpruell, his seller ID is 1spruell on ebay. He does not list the mirror switch, but he managed to find one for me after a reasonable delay (3 weeks). $275 shipped, plus an additional 27$ for the retaining bezel which I forgot to ask...

The other control switch I was offered was significantly more expansive.

As a side note, now that I have the dual switch, I can correct my previous assumption; the toggle is for the red/red-green wires (not the blue ones).

25. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Cannot edit my post any-more... One should read "expEnsive".

Actually the first seller I contacted was keeping the switch for spare (he's got four cars with vitalonis), so was reluctantly selling his. He was kind enough to introduce me to Todd. When I told him the deal Todd was proposing, he just encouraged me to go for it.

Unlike the single mirror switch, these dual mirrors switch can be serviced: there are screws instead of rivets, so opening the case is possible. Once a generous amount of "fresh" switch lubricant (a.k.a dielectric grease, a.k.a baby/petrol jelly) is applied, the switch works quite well, at least much better than its non rebuildable sibling.

All in all the dual switch operates both mirrors, looks better and is easier to service. If it were not for the scarcity and price, this would be a "must have"!