Milka Duno hater thread | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Milka Duno hater thread

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by robert_c, May 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    (4 hours later...) Well. I guess that's that then.

2. Killing Time

Killing Time Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Yep. Game. Set. Match.

3. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    We can keep the thread though, right?:)

4. Killing Time

Killing Time Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Indeed yes!

5. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Nope, neither. Just have more important things to do than to sit around and argue with people whose goal in life appears to be casting aspersions while hiding behind anonymous internet screen names. I've said my peace, you're free to disagree.

For the record, recall that in my initial post I concurred that she's in over her head in Indy cars. But to continue to mercilessly denigrate her like this is simply unnecessary. It accomplishes nothing.

Thanks.

6. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    #131 Gilles27, Sep 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nice try. You chimed in to half-assedly prop up our perceptions of Donut's hidden driving abilities. And to do this, you stooped to the lowest level of qualifying yourself as some kind of expert on the matter and then questioning the merit of the opinions of others here because we haven't had our butts in race cars (which is also untrue). If you want to talk about making "anonymous internet aspersions", you just did it by insulting the intelligence and credibility of members here. You're probably biased, as I said, because you spent time doing whatever it was you did for FoW when she ran FChallenge. For the record, what is your racing background that qualifies you as an expert in assessing racing skill? You couldn't even find a link to her victory, which I had to sleuth all the way out of Wikipedia for you. I actually gave you more credit than you deserved in my first post--I had mistakenly thought you were a driver yourself.

What you don't get is, not only is she in over her head, but she is allowed to continue to race, and every weekend she manages to reset the bar closer to the asphalt. This is an ongoing insult to real fans of a once-great racing series as well as her co-drivers and those who are truly talented and unable to land a drive. It's also an ongoing hypocrisy on the part of IRL, who has excluded drivers in the past for driving too slowly. And while she may have left a platinum mark in the lofty ranks of 348 Challenge, it's an ongoing insult to people who care about the integrity of professional racing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Is this really worth getting into a tizzy over?

CW

8. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Maybe. I don't like when someone comes in to tell everyone here they're wrong with the reason being "You're not experienced enough to have an opinion. And here is the reason MY opinion is more valid than yours..." and then when called out they use the second weakest excuse of "I'm too busy to defend this...". It's the internet--by definition most of what goes on here is pointless. But framing a comment in the manner that tells people they don't deserve to have an opinion because of their own loosely-defined parameters of what qualifies is offensive. It's perfectly OK to enter a thread like this and say "Hey, I worked with Duno years ago. I thought at the time she showed some talent...". But acting like a de facto expert on her relative skills and the bottom line of assessing talent is ridiculous. Especially in this case given the mountain of evidence to the contrary.

9. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Indeed.

And, hey, I managed to take a trans-Atlantic flight and still have time for the Internet.

10. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    #135 fluque, Sep 13, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
    Nice pic Giles27. When, where, what series? I had the same Bieffe helmet

Back to Milka. It's so lame to have her out there (should I dare say) racing.
    What's the deal with IRL that feel they need to continue cutting her slack. She's not even good looking.

11. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Yeah--when I bought the helmet I didn't want a blank, I wasn't wild about most of the custom paint jobs and was actually a bit of a Fisi fan at the time...which should date it a little;) That was SCCA Formula Mazda, taken at Gingerman in Michigan. The picture is about 10 years old, and having had another birthday yesterday only put another lap on my past...Some day, some day!

12. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I was standing in a group of drivers at one of my Ferrari Challenge drivers meetings in 2000 when someone asked the question after one of our meetings. Point blank one of the officials said they asked her to leave. She was far too aggressive on track. They felt she would be better served in another series. While I heard who said it, I won't name them.

As for her win, she won in the 355 Series. By 2000, all the regulars had moved from the F355s to the 360s. Sure, she won a race. Had she been in a 360 would she have won, I doubt it.

Personally she was nice enough, but she did distance herself from the other drivers preferring to talk to her instructor most of the time.

As for her taking the first ever first place, she could be correct. I still have all my records, but without looking at them, I remember Sarah Wahl winning a race too.

13. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #138 Challenge64, Sep 24, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
    Update on her Ferrari Challenge races -

Milka placed 3rd in both Pikes Peak races #1 & #2

She placed first in Road Atlanta race #1

While she was the first woman to win a race, Road Atlanta race #1, she was not the first woman to stand on the Ferrari Challenge podium.

Also, there is no record of any Ferrari Challenge driver with the initials gp or George P. (360gtracer) during the 2000 series. There is a George F. #82 for 2001. (Although when I re-read your history in the Challenge, you never actually said you raced..I was kinda under the presumption you did.)

14. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    speaking to someone who is part of the IRL told me that they are aware of how terrible she is, but the problem is that she has one of the largest sponsor in IRL and right now the IRL needs the money. What they have done is basically side line her at a few of the races this season because of how dangerous she is. I haven't been watching, but I guess anytime she had mechanical problems this season it was actually her team telling her to park the car.

15. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Hello so if this is really the case then the IRL should lend her assistance in setup, and some sort of driver buddy system to help her out, a mentor someone that can work with her like a coach. Unless her ego will resist, though I suspect she knows she needs some kind of behind the scene help.

16. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    How does Citgo's sponsorship of Duno financially benefit the IRL?

17. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Dont know, that a good question. All he said that they needed the sponsorship, whatever that means.

18. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
  19. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    ethanol

20. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
  21. IndyFan

IndyFan Karting

Feb 21, 2010
  22. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
  23. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    Didn't Petrov also do that in his first or second race? No wait, Alguersari I think.

24. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    "Milka Duno signed off her shameful season by spinning....in front of Franchitti and then slamming the wall...."

Strong word : "shameful"

25. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    LOL

She might reach 4Gs when she spins into the wall. :p