MERGED: Official TOYOTA Super Car Thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

MERGED: Official TOYOTA Super Car Thread

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Malfoy, Oct 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    "How much horsepower does the NSX have again? Oh yeah, less than the Mustang GT. " -- Mr Payne

What do you call that? I call that a comment from someone trying to be a smart ass, bashing the NSX. I owned a 98 mustang GT and my 93 NSX will run circles around it all day long. Have you owned either car? Driven either car? Or did you just read about them both in Road and Track?

As for the 110 trap speed. That is a very good time. I agree with you there. Motor Trend tested a 94 NSX and got a 106MPH trap speed. With I/H/E plus weight reduction and a skilled driver, I think 110 is possible. On the other hand, Car and Driver tested a 97 coupe @ 12.9 @ 110 MPH bone stock.

2. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Haha, ok...so I did "bash" the car. I did say the truth and only the truth though. If the is presented in a sarcastic way, is that bashing? I do know the capabilities of the car though. I feel that you know I know the capabilities as well.

Just wondering, what are the fastest real person times that you know of for a stock NSX?

3. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This is one of the guys on prime. I have not seen faster on a drag strip for a 91-94. Remember though, very few people actually drag race the NSX.

1991 NSX 5-spd (Red/Black) Fastest 1/4 MPH bone stock NSX known to man kind!! (or at least my small group)
    106.1MPH trap on a 70 degree day* ;-) 13.6e.t.

There is a 2002 that is running mid 12's with I/H/E and a comptech clutch.

4. SteveNSX

SteveNSX Rookie

Jun 18, 2004
    My times could be a bit optimistic......I timed the car with a new Gtech. It showed 12.8 at 112. I figured it was being optimistic so I have subtracted a tenth and 2 mph as I read they are accurate to within .1 sec and 1 mph. The same gauge showed my stock 96 m3 at 13.9 at 99.0 mph and my sisters Ruf p-car at 11.8 at 126 mph. I have also done roll-ons with several cars at hwy speed and judging from the roll-ons, I feel the gtech is not far off.
    40 mph roll on with 02 M3, my car pulled 2 full lenths by 100mph.
    70 mph with 97 viper ......viper pulled 4 lenths by 120
    70 mph roll on with 6 speed stock 98 supra....my car would pull 4-5 lenths by 120.
    0-70 with ws6 ta.......my car by 2 lenths
    50-90 with late model saleen s-281 me by 3 lenths.
    Did get blasted by a new NEON!!! Him by about 5 lenths from 70 - 120.
    His car was modded, but was silly fast!!
    My car is less than 2800 lbs and has the following mods:
    Short (close ratio) gears,comptech alum flyweel, comptech PG2 clutch,headers, exhaust, chip,comptech bypass pipes, weight reduction ...car is about 265rwhp which gives about 310 crank hp with accounting for 15% loss to wheels.
    This figures to 9.03 lbs/hp. The new 997 s is 9.4 lbs/hp and runs a 12.6/112
    with 350 hp so I would say my numbers would be close to what the gtech says. All this aside, don't judge the car until you have driven one. My sisters car will run all over mine in a straight line but I prefer my car.
    I prefer the looks, power delivery and the feel of my car. Her car is
    much more exclusive and exotic but most uninformed people like yourself
    would mistake it for a regular 911 or a slant nose kit p-car. Yes, I am biased
    and realize I come across that way, but I do appreciate true performance as I have roadraced motorcycles for over 10 years and do UNDERSTAND that straightline speed is not everything. Give me a choice between a 1000 cc 160 hp bike that runs 9sec 1/4 miles and a 250 cc bike that puts out 75 hp and I will not only take the 250 but will run VERY close if not better lap times on the 250 on most tracks. It is because of the TOTAL package of the 250's light (low gravity ctr) weight and higher cornering speed.
    So get your little calculater out NERD BOY...we can magazine race!!
    Then after you beat me with the calculator, bring your mustang "GT"
    to the track and we can roadrace. I think you will understand that your equations might not add up. Ready to write a new theorum???
    Smart guy + 0*experience = 0*understanding of REAL sports cars.
    Hurry and graduate so you can purchase your NEW (old looking) STANG!!

5. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Yes, there is justification for paying USD $100k for a Lexus:

They're very good cars! The only Lexus I know of that's in that price range is the LS430, which is Lexus's Mercedes S Class, BMW 7 Series and Audi A8 equivalent.

Lexus are arguably as good quality as the above cars, but one thing they have up their sleeve is they're still much better value. Also, I'd say they're more reliable and cost much less to maintain (Toyota roots afterall).

6. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Nice flaming. I like how you insulted me as if you beat me in a contest or something. Keep up the good work.

7. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Mr. Payne... I was expecting so much more than that lame response.... :(

8. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I would fork over 100g+ in a second for a Toyota super car. Have always owned a Toyota since I started driving 26 years ago and find them to be the best. Even Thu I love my Maserati it would be very tough for me not to change to a Supra

9. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    It didn't really warrant anything better. I could do a line by line dissection of his entire post making him look like a callous idiot...but what then?

10. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime
    How is that going to be the C6 Z06? I clearly remember Dave Hill saying that the C6 Z06 will be so much different than a standard C6 that a grandma will be able to tell the difference. Their would be no mistaking the difference between the two.

11. lionsfan54

lionsfan54 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    How many 997 Carrera S cars will they sell? That thing can get real close to $100,000 in no time.

12. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Again, you are comparing a car that is made by a company known for racing and sports cars vs. a company that currently offers NO sports cars at all.(both celica and MR2 are dead).

13. bdog

bdog Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2004
    I heared lotus is going to some work on upcoming Toyta sports cars maybe Toyta will buy lotus as a sport divtion and the New "supra will because a Lotus.

14. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    When I saw this thread, all I could think of the Lamarossa. Do any of you guys remember that thing? I wonder what ever happened to that guy and his car.

Art S.

15. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    He still posts occasionally. I think he is truly oblivious to his own gay-ness.

16. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    according to autoweek, toyota is working on its own supercar...v-10,500hp and 3000lbs...possibily the next supra or a lexus, with exotic looks......it will come out in 2006 and be over 100k....will this be the ultimate sports car, exotic car performance with toyota practicality?,or will people not want to pay over 100grand for a toyota product, no mater how good the performance....certainly being a ford has not hurt the demand for the gt..toyota wants to sell 12000 of these cars...what are your thoughts,is this a good idea or will this become another vw phaeton....

17. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Repost, but they wont be able to seel 12k. Imagine all the lambos, ferraris and ford gts made put together and you still dont have 12K. There are very few buyers in that range and they wont defect from there chosen brand for a Toyota. If it was 75K, yes but not 125K or even 105K.

18. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime

Not to bash the NSX guys or the NSX (I really like them, those fat fives are tight) but didn't Honda try to do this? And look what happened their.
    It didn't have the greatest of succes, but it did sell some. Is 100k for next Supra to much to ask? Do people want lay it that down for a Toyota? Granted the SC430 has sold, but I've seen more Fcars and Lambos on the road then SC430s.

19. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Oh really? Ask Jaguar how they made out with all of those XJ-220s!

20. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    good point ryan, the nsx volume has now dryed up to practically nothing due its not changing for 14years....does anyone know how may nsx sold during its peak years?

21. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

As far as my knowledge:

1991--3163
    1992--1270
    1993--608
    1994--512
    1995--780
    1996--505
    1997--338
    1998--245

Thats all I have for now.

22. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    thanks ryan, you the man!!!! i see a downward thrend..btw, the nsx is great fun to drive

23. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime

I was implying sheer volume thankyou.
    The Last Gen Supra when selling at the 50s sold terribly.
    Yes I know the NSX put HONDA on the Map, and ***** slapped Enzos 348s.

24. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    On one hand Toyota would be wasting it's time trying to compete in the super-elite sportcar market because the market is saturated to a degree, and because there would be almost no downmarket benefits to the rest of their product line.

HOWEVER......If this car is the high-profile beginning of an overall evolution of Lexus into something more than an imitator of German cars, the R&D, marketing and production expenses would be worthwhile.

But in terms of manufacturing and engineering expertise, Toyota has none in this niche. The engine's are certainly rock-solid, but as we all know, engine's HP and TQ are only part of the story. Considering Honda's retreat from the somewhat successful NSX, it would surprise me for Toyota to chase the same elusive hare.

Perhaps they'll partner with Lotus to develop the chassis and suspension since they already have that relationship through the Elise engine. Or maybe they'll just by Lotus. That's what I would do.

Forza,

Cavallini

25. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The NSX consistently sells around 225 a year in the US.

As for Toyota doing something that Honda already failed at, well, the NSX was called underpowered from day one. I don't think anyone would call this toyota car underpowered :) Americans love HP. I think they have a much better chance of selling an exotic import with a 500HP V10 vs a 290HP V6.

I guess we shall see. I would be surprised if they called it Supra though. Most people think of Supra as a 45K sports car, not a 100K exotic.