MERGED: Official TOYOTA Super Car Thread | FerrariChat

MERGED: Official TOYOTA Super Car Thread

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Malfoy, Oct 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    I got this link from Black355s post about a F430 spyder sighting.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101005

Right before the F430 pics [I know its hard to look at anything else] Theres the supra shot and the following

"Sources say Toyota is eyeing a 2005 Tokyo Motor Show introduction, with an on-sale date in late 2006 or early 2007. Pricing will be in excess of $100,000 for one of an estimated 12,000 that Toyota plans to produce."

I'm not sure how many of you are aware of or even care about the Supra but I'm not sure who they are aiming for now but am sure that they probably alienated 99.9% of previous Supra owners since previous supras new were like no more than 40-45k fully loaded.

2. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    This is hilarious. 12000 of them. Do they know how few people out there can afford 100K+ cars? That is almost as much as all the Murcis, Gallardos, 360s and Ford GTs slated for the next year combined. Do they really believe they could steal these buyers away from these exotic car makers? LOLOLOL.

3. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What a joke. The main people that are into Supras and those types of cars are barely even old enough to drive and definatly couldnt plop down $100K for one.

4. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Maybe it is a typo??? There is no way there are going to sell 12,000 unless that is the total production run over 10 years! -- maybe not even then!

5. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    1200 sounds about right. And I bet it will be a BIT more than 100k...

6. yasir

yasir Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    I know quite a few people including myself that are reluctant to buy cars like Ferraris & Lambos for the following reasons
    1)-Dealer network,the nearest dealer/independent mechanic atleast for me is almost 4-5 hrs.
    2)-The reliabilty is the main issue with these cars especially when driven on a daily basis
    3)-Putting more then 10K miles on a ferrari or a lambo is a big no no for most of the Guys looking into buying these exotics.
    4)-Maintanence is pretty expensive even for people that can afford these cars.
    Now here are the reasons why Toyota thinks that they will be able to sell 12,000 cars
    1)-So far Toyota has had no problem selling cars like LC/LX-470/SC430/LS430 that cost in excess of $70K+ so they know there are enough people to buy these cars.
    2)-Reliabilty & the dealer network are the main advantages for the toyota
    3)-Maintanence won't be much either considering the Toyota history
    4)-Supras as we all know can easily take 600RWHP every day reliability without any problem so this car won't be a disappointment either.
    Regardless of how good this car would be,its still not going to convert future Ferrari owners to Toyota but surely there will be quite a few people who would rather buy this T-car then buying an F-car,JMHO
    Yasir

7. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Good points, but i still think it may be a huge stretch to think they could sell 12000. How many NSXs sell per year? That should give you and idea. It's the same people.

8. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    How much horsepower does the NSX have again? Oh yeah, less than the Mustang GT. :)

9. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Yes, but these are branded Lexus, not Toyota.

10. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Ah, the label. Got it.

11. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA

I'm not sure if people are willing to pay that much for a Lexus. I mean I would think 100k+ is a pretty big 'threshold' as far as car pricing goes. I find this simliar to MBs decision to release the Maybach on the Maybach name cause they thought it was priced to high to sell as a MB. VW and car enthusisasts expressed slight concern on how well VW could sell the 70k+ Phateon under the VW name since the price seemed 'above' VW. They could be doing as expected, i'm not sure though. But to not get too far off topic. Do you really think people can accept a lexus as a 6 figure worthy vehicle?

12. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    How many of you here would have said, even 10 years ago, that Toyota would knock Ford off the #2 position and be lining up GM. They haven't done a whole lot wrong over the past 25 years so I wouldn't underestimate them.

13. bottomline

bottomline Formula 3

Mar 10, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Bijan
    You guys don't have to believe me...so here I go:

I'm pretty avid on SupraForums. There are a lot of people that have relationships with people that work for Toyota. (Big positions)

This is going to be a 350Z fighter. It will NOT be an I-6. It WILL have a V8.

I can promise this car will cost no more than 55K. I personally THINK it will be somewhere around 45K. They have a lot of competitors, so that's my guess.

14. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    A few years back there were solid rumors of a 100K+ 5.0L V10 midengined car being made as a halo car. That is what this car is. A revived Supra would be a lower priced vehicle.

15. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ah Mr Payne, we miss your worthless comments on nsxprime.... I see you are making them here instead. :)

Have you graduated college yet?

Anyway, NSX sales are pathetic because in 2004 the car is vastly underpowed.

I think at the $100K level, there are a lot of people that buy cars for the name. i.e. Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche. I am not sure how many of those people would pick a toyota over a true brand name sports car. It is a status symbol for them.

For a true track-junkie, the toyota would be much more apealling.

16. McLaren_boy

McLaren_boy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    ATL but NOLA is home
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    I think Toyota should go with a twin turbo V8, V10s are great, but we already have the M5, CGT, Gallardo, and Viper with V10s...and a turbo V8 would leave room for lots of extra power above stock. :)

Your point?

I'll take an NSX thankyou very much, you can have the Mustang...

17. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    I never left.

No. You can just look in my profile where I list "Student (Mech. Eng.)". The "Student" means I haven't graduated yet.

Except that was exactly I was implying with my previous post. So why the two previous statements?

18. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    I'll take the NSX too, what said otherwise? Horsepower is one of many factors in a car buying decision. To not realize the NSX is vastly underpowered compared to it's price competition or even a base Vette would be idiotic.

19. sirsomo

sirsomo Karting

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta/Texas
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I think Toyota will come out with 2 versions of this car, or even two different cars. 40K 350Z fighter and a 100K high end flagship(probably Lexus IMO). Ive also heard Lexus is developing their own AMG-type models using a gas and a part-time electric motor (400+ hp total), probably will be out in 2 or 3 years.
    Toyota is a very smart,conservative company. They will sell a lot of these cars, maybe not 12,000 @ 100K, but we will see. Ford seems to have people lined up to buy a 150K car, so I dont think branding will be a problem...

20. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    If you build it - Someone will buy it!

21. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    doesnt lexus have a v12 coming out fot the ls430. lexus shouldnt have any problem selling a 100k+ car. Pretty much every 1 mill and up house in my area has at least one lexus in the driveway.

22. SteveNSX

SteveNSX Rookie

Jun 18, 2004
    As far as the NSX being underpowered...in today's world......probably.
    What you fail to realize though Mr. Payne is that in the real world
    the car is not as slow as you may think. My old 93 with bolt on mods is running 12.9 at close to 110 mph. There is not much drive line loss and my car is quite light, so the published hp # might be deceptive. So before you read and judge you should experience the car for what it was built. It is more than just straightline speed that most of us here crave. By the way, the new eclipse puts out more hp than the Elise ( FYI Lotus, Mr. Payne).
    I can't get down to the Mitsu dealership fast enough to purchase my new Eclipse!!!
    Understand the car.....then you can trash it!!

23. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Ummm....I guess you were trying to bash my car knowledge or something...nice try?

Your trap speed is very high. Actually one of the highest I've seen. What sort of bolt ons have you done? Do you know your car weight? I thought the NSX weighed between 2950lbs-3150lbs. To be honest that is one of the highest trap speeds I've seen from a 3.0L non SC NSX. Truly, it looks like you'd have to have 330hp+ which seems relatively hard to achieve with a bolt on 3.0L V6.

Those Elise comments are....dumb? BTW, I do understand the NSX. I realize that is arguably slower than a C5 on a track(I can magazine race if you want). I understand that it is one of the funnest cars to drive. Ever.

24. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Mr. Payne,

I don't understand why you bash cars that you have only read about on paper. How many of these exotics have you actually driven?? As for my previous comments, they are to show that you are ONLY 19 and you talk out of your ass. I have no doubt you are very bright, but you lack real world experience. Books smarts yes, Steet smarts, NO.

As for C5 faster on a track than a NSX... I don't think so. Z06, no question it is faster.

If you are ever in Savannah, drop by and we can go for a spin. I will be at roebling racing the car in november.

25. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Where have I bashed a car? I try to make the most unbiased judgements possible, so you accusing me of this kind action is weird.

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=240229&st=25

Link to all of Sport Auto's Supertest results. :)

I'll retract my previous statement about the C5 being faster than the NSX because they weren't tested at the same time. However an auto C5 was 2 seconds slower on the Ring and .2 quicker on Hockenheim. Look over those times though. The comm. edition C5 might surprise you. Look at that Hockenheim time...