MERGED: 250TR 0666/TR at Gooding Pebble Beach | FerrariChat

MERGED: 250TR 0666/TR at Gooding Pebble Beach

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Sports Car Digest, Jul 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sports Car Digest

May 1, 2010
  2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Butch did a great job restoring that TR!
    CH

3. Sports Car Digest

May 1, 2010
    Couldn't agree more. We've seen it many times and it never ceases to drop the jaws a bit.

4. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Wow. I'm only a Powerball ticket away from being the caretaker.

Given the s/n, 0666 TR, I suspect this FChatter will be bidding on it. :eek:

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Is Shirley done with it?

6. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A5t5_O8hdA[/ame]

My apologies; I couldn't resist.

7. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

That car is gorgeous! :)

8. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Who was the restorer?

9. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Is 0666TR the one that Joel Finn owned for a while? He of the seminal V12 TR book.

Jeff

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I am reading thru that book now.......great read!!!

11. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    I am pretty sure that Betz and Peters owned 0666TR for many, many years (I think it was a basket case at one point) and then it was acquired by Shirley and restored by Butch Dennison while owned by Shirley. I am sure others (i.e., MM) will chime in with more exact details.

12. toparkt

toparkt Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2006
    orange county
    Full Name:
    Andrew Goetz
    THE TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN !!
    RARE & BEAUTIFUL

13. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    #13 davidgoerndt, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I think Chuck and Fred built it up over a long time from very little; a monumental undertaking. I think Marcel DeLay (sp?) made the body. At one time I think it had a Corvette rear end. At one time it had a Ford big-block engine. Interesting race history, and a real prototype; some claim the frame started out as a 290MM. After C&F made a car out of what was not much more than a frame, I think Butch re-restored it to Shirley's liking.

15. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    P.S. Does that wheel hub look like a standard 250GT wheel? Didn't these cars use a different hub? Picky, picky.

16. Sports Car Digest

May 1, 2010
    #16 Sports Car Digest, Jul 20, 2011
  17. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Did Pete Lovely have just the motor from 0666 at one time?
    CH

18. superleggera

superleggera Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Dry Heat, AZ
    Yes. Pete had just the engine itself. It was in a cabinet in the shop for decades. Most people walked by not having a clue it was there.

There is no longer a Corvette rear diff in it -- it was a newly made rear gearbox setup that was duplicated from Jon's ex-290MM. Works great. The restoration was pretty comprehensive and there was a lot of work involved to correct things and put back to "as researched" condition. Remember this chassis had been heavily modified originally and damaged in subsequent history.

The shop just did a complete once over on the car and it is in immaculate condition. There has been a LOT of pictures being taken of it for articles upcoming as will as the auction house itself. Literally the parking lot has been a photo studio for days. It's also been up/down the road numerous times for driving tests by the media involved.

I've seen it run hard at the racetrack -- this car isn't babied -- it is a racecar. It's spent quite a bit of time on the dyno as well and the engine works fantastic. (I don't remember the last hp/bhp readings) Most people don't realize that Butch and his crew do all their own Ferrari engine work and tuning for the past 10+ years. Thus all these cars run as well as they look.

It will be interesting to see where 0666TR ends up -- hopefully with someone who regularly exercises her on the racetrack as intended.

19. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Pete did not have the motor to 0666/TR.

There were many Ferrari engines fitted to 0666/TR in period. One of them ended up in Texas many years ago and that is the engine that was fitted to the car when I had it for sale and it was the engine that went with the car when it was sold to John.

The engine Pete had was something a bit more special and I was able to get that engine back to the Ferrari it ran with it in period in most of its races. While not the "born with" engine, it was far more appropriate than any other and they still remain together to this day.

Ciao,

Bill

20. jbann

jbann Rookie

Aug 11, 2007
    Northeast Penn.
    I wonder what Shirley's intentions are. Downsizing the collection? Moving onto something else? More pre-War stuff? That TR fit so perfectly into his collection alongside a 290MM and a 250GTO! Just curious if someone has any ideas.

- Jan

21. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Anyone have pictures of it after the fire?

22. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Thanks to the always informative Mr. Noon for the 'discretely presented' details there!
    CH

23. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #23 Boudewijn, Jul 21, 2011
    After the fire. Copyright unknown. It was a terrible accident initiated by the fatal accident of the D-type driven by J.M.Brousseler.
    0666TR's was struck by the débris of the crashed car and was smashed against the barrier wall bursting into flames.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Boudewijn, great shot thanks. I was looking for pictures from after the garage fire.

25. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    I have seen far worse. The dirt and debris likely kept the car from being burnt out completely.

Ciao,

Bill