Mercedes Rant | FerrariChat

Mercedes Rant

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Innovativethinker, Dec 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    As I've mentioned in other posts, I have a 2016 S550. Sticker was $124k. For the first time ever I leased the car (for 3 years). I really did not care for the car and ended up with less than 10k miles on it after 3 years. My lease expires 8 days from today.

I dropped it off at the dealer for a pre-paid service about a month ago and told them to just keep it as I wanted to return it now and that way would not have to return to the dealer again.

The dealer told me I had to contact MB financial as they could no longer inspect lease return vehicles. Well ok. That 45 minute call was a nightmare. MB Financial repeated that they require a third party to inspect the vehicle but they would go to the car. Ok, whatever, lets schedule that. "well it seems we cannot book that right now, but we will have the third party contact you. No call so I called MB financial again, fruitless conversation and again "someone will call you".

Yesterday I get a call from Daqwitha from MB Financial, leaves her phone number with my secretary, but no extension.

I call and after 5 minutes of locating my account again says they need to arrange an inspection. I say great, its at the dealer. "we cannot do inspections at the dealer" and then "we cannot schedule an inspection in under 9 days" then "well the dealer can schedule an inspection but that would be after the lease expires".

My temperature is raising at this point as she is contradicting herself. Then she tells me "well its actually not a requirement that the car be inspected by a third party." At that point the nice part of me leaves my body and Hellboy comes out. I've spent over 2 hours talking to morons whose story keeps changing.

She tries to pawn me off to the dealer (wise of her) but I demand to know the name at the dealership who can resolve this issue, she puts me on hold. More than 10 minutes later she returns and gives me a name.

I wait about two hours so I can cool down before I call him. He handles it pretty well and I'm off to the dealer to sign the final paper work.

I really hate dealing with un-informed people from high end companies who just say things with no apparent reason.

Very sour experience.

/rant off

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    At least they won't get you for too much tire wear. Hopefully.

3. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Turned it in. Had to pay $600 for them to process car for auction. The dealer said they were buying the car so it would it would not be going to auction, but I still had to pay the fee. Uh, ok.

Someone will get a very good car when they buy it. Car was as new.

They did want to more know more about my experience but acknowledged there were many “glitches” with the electronics in the 2016 model. It was something like a $20k option or some other seemingly high number.

Last Mercedes I will buy for myself

4. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Every time I shop for a car I look at Mercedes. I want to want one... never end up buying it...

Their rankings in most quality surveys are low. And when I sit in one, I could imagine it's a Toyota if I close my eyes. BMW is way ahead when it comes to quality, rankings, and that fabulous leather smell when you enter the car...

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I looked at a C300 for my wife. Really how they look, and even the interior looks good. Then went to test drive one. Engine sounds like a diesel. And the plastic used were so flimsy and light to the touch..ended up with a 3 series.

I still like the exterior a lot.

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    If you want a big body luxury cruiser, get an Alpina B7. Your experience sounds terrible...MB has fallen off a cliff since the 1990s in terms of their cars imo.

energy88 likes this.
  7. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Why did you have to pay an auction prep fee at the end of the lease? Was that in your lease paperwork? I thought half the point of the lease was that you didn't have to go through the hassle of selling it at the end of the 3 years.

8. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    But? You didn't buy this Mercedes for yourself, you just rented it.

Not saying the buyer's experience is any better, but? Take a look in Silver earlier in the year about somebody who was trying to return... I don't remember what. Nobody would deal with their lease return. Think maybe it was some form of Fiat??

9. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I did not re-read the paper work but should have. I was too pissed off and get wanted to get it finalized

10. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    This is my 5th mercedes, all purchased from dealers. The only reason i leased was due to the bath i took on my last s class

My posted wasnt about leasing, it was about the incompetence of MB staff, which included both the dealer and MB corporate

David_S likes this.
  11. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    As I wrote in another thread my Mercedes is at the dealership for the 5th time this year with warranty issues. I will say I love the car, absolutely love it even over BMW. The warranty issues are bad though and will push me to trade it in on another car/brand before the warranty expires.