MD Taxes for Out-of-State Car Purchase | FerrariChat

MD Taxes for Out-of-State Car Purchase

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by modena2904, Aug 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. modena2904

modena2904 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I live in MD, and am concerned about the tax implications of buying an out-of-state car. The info on the MVA website was not very clear (at least to me), and a web search didn't turn up the answer. So I called the MVA, and they told me that I would have to pay the out-of-state sales tax, plus pay the 5% excise tax to register the car in MD. That means I could be paying 13%+ in tax -- ugghh.

When I moved here from CA (in 1998), I didn't have to pay the excise tax on my cars because I was able to show that I had paid CA sales tax on them. Shouldn't the same exclusion apply? Does it matter if I buy from a private party vs. a dealer?

I'm sure someone on this forum has experience doing this, and I'm hoping you can enlighten me. Obviously, when searching for a Ferrari, it would be very limiting to only look in MD -- but I hate to think about paying all that tax.

Thanks.

- Eric

2. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    That's ridiculous - I've purchased many cars out of state and paid only the Maryland tax.

Edit: purchases from both private individuals and dealers.

3. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    Bought my 308 in Houston Tx. Registered in Md at the normal 5%.

4. modena2904

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I've been doing a little more research. It appears that the key is whether the state where you are purchasing the car collects its own sales tax for an out-of-state sale. Many don't, but some apparently do. Either way, it looks like us Marylander's are stuck with the 5% excise tax. I found a reference where it clearly states that the exemption I cited in my original post is only for new residents who are moving into Maryland.

Here's my list of states so far. I'll keep adding to this post as I find more.

Alaska - no sales tax
    Deleware - no sales tax
    Montana - no sales tax
    New Hampshire - no sales tax
    Oregon - no sales tax
    New Mexico - no sales tax on motor vehicles
    Nevada - no sales tax on private party motor vehicle sales
    Michigan - sales tax exemption for out-of-state sale to MD
    Texas - added to the list based on rcraig's post

New York - collects sales tax on out-of-state sale

5. holminator

holminator Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 3, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Prince Falafel
    Ditto. Bought both of my current cars in VA. No changes in the law that I'm aware of; Bought the MB in January if I remember correctly.

6. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    i've bought cars from 5 different state outside md. no prob. if it's a 308, don't forget to lie about the sales price-save hundreds!

7. Jsuit

Jsuit Formula 3

Jul 12, 2005
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    John
    1 Audi
    1 Mini
    2 Ferraris

No issues.

8. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    If you buy from a dealer the MD MVA wants a copy of the sales receipt-they did on my first Ferrari I bought which was out of state--make sure you tell them it was a private party and hope the title from out of state reflects that.My second one was from a private party--I just showed the MVA the bill of sale myself and the owner made up for the FULL amount I paid :D....You can add Illinois and North Carolina to the list. They do not charge sales tax if you register it it another state(MD)..

9. bst1

bst1 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    MARYLAND
    Full Name:
    BARRY T
    In the last few years I bought 2 cars in PA, 1 in NY, 1 in IL and 1 in VA. Never paid any tax until registered them at MD MVA.

10. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    I don't believe things are different in Maryland because we have had customers buy cars who are from Maryland. The sales tax you pay on a car is where you register the car. If you register the car in PA, then you pay 6%. If you register the car in Maryland, then you pay 5%. You don't have to pay the sales tax of the state you bought it in.

11. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    You're right Noah. By the way in Delaware the registration fee is only 2%. As far as not being truthful about purchase price of car to avoid taxes, it will return to bite you with your insurance co. If you need to make a claim they can and will ( I am told) check with DMV on price.-Bob

12. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    not true. most full coverage insurance offers replacement value if totaled ,stolen

13. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    +1 - That is correct...Insurance companies don't rely on MVA for anything except maybe a driving record...Most MVA records systems are a clusterfu$%^&---I know MD's is..

14. modena2904

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I did more research, and it looks like I was worried about nothing.

NY was the only state I could find where it seemed that an out-of-state buyer wouldn't be exempt from the sales tax. However, I then found another reference that conflicted with that. I tried to call the NY DMV, but couldn't get through. So I finally just called a dealer in NY, and they confirmed, no sales tax. This also checks with the post by bst1.

Thanks to everyone for weighing in.

- Eric

15. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Mdshore bought his car from NY also, no sales tax in NY

16. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    usually not true as collector car insurance is stated amount. you state the amount and the premium is based on that. i imagine that's how you would insure a 308. i just bought luigi from a dealer and it said it was from a dealer right on the title. they didn't even ask me for a sales receipt. saved about $250 in taxes. when i bought my challenger about 10 years ago, they asked me how much i paid and i said 17. she said $1700? and i said yep. saved me about $800 in taxes.