Maxwell's Shop | FerrariChat

Maxwell's Shop

Discussion in '348/355' started by chopsui, Feb 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    Not sure if this has been posted, but I recognized the intake here from one of Ernie's old threads. Now's your chance, fellas. Who's got an extra 25 G's under their couch cushions?

I'm actually interested to learn more about those A-arms.

Ferrari 348 – OMD San Diego

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That's neat but I do am skeptical on the claim of 100hp on an NA engine with just a part swap and no engine management. Would love to see otherwise.

Looks like injectors spray into intake runners suspended above the intake runner? I'm probably missing something.

Great looking bit.

bjwhite likes this.
  3. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    for $25k sell the 348 and get a 355. :D

OCKlasse and Qavion like this.
  4. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I will say beautiful craftsmanship though on these parts. Can't wait for someone like this to get their hands on a 355.

5. foresterguy

foresterguy Rookie

May 22, 2015
    Full Name:
    Steve M.
    Everything Steve does is top notch. I'm always amazed at what he's done and what he's capable of. Probably one of the most gifted people in the automotive world. Just take a look at the Red Bull KIA drift cars he and Martin put together:
    How an $18,000 Kia Forte Transformed Into a Drift Car (redbull.com)
    You should see the parts he made for these cars. He has a lot of experience with the 348...and Ferrari in particular.

ernie likes this.
  6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    But 100hp from intake alone?

albert328gts likes this.
  7. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I don't think stock ones are THAT bad...

sjd

8. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    It says "dyno shows increase of over 100whp", not that it was the only modification done to the car.

ernie likes this.
  9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Correct it does not... which is mis-leading. Attribution by omission.

10. foresterguy

foresterguy Rookie

May 22, 2015
    Full Name:
    Steve M.
    Hard to say without asking him the particulars. It does sound like a lot with no other changes (exhaust, management?) and I would think that at least some tuning was involved. I know on the yellow twin-turbo 348 single plenum design (pic attached), the car made an additional 40 whp (if memory serves me) by just the intake alone, with no other changes. This new plenum looks more advanced than the one on the yellow twin-turbo car. I know he's done a lot of flow-testing with different runners and velocity stacks on the F119. I also know Steve has told me that Ferrari left a lot on the table with the F119. If you haven't already seen it, you may want to read this thread: The naturally aspirated 400+hp 348, yes for real | FerrariChat

Attached Files:

11. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    tres55, ernie, OCKlasse and 1 other person like this.
  12. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    I've been watching these you tube videos. Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.[/QUOTE]

white out likes this.
  13. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    They are horrendous. Extremely restrictive intake design.

foresterguy and SoCal1 like this.
  14. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    No, not from the intake alone.

The long block on the test mule engine was factory bone stock. Everything else was custom. You MUST have a modern standalone ECU, among various other things, to extract the hidden potential of the F119. Tuning, tuning, tuning is a must. In addition the engine must be spun higher. LOTS more to it than just the intake, BUT, the intake breathing is critical, about as critical as the breathing of the heads.

foresterguy and Tony Moore like this.
  15. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    ernie, when are you getting that standalone installed and your special intake installed and running?

16. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Your being too kind

THEY SUCK DONKY KONG
    An accountants dream and emission warrior all in one.

:)

ernie likes this.
  17. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    Anyone else look at his Instagram and see the Nissan wheels and wheel bearings along with 14.25" brake rotors?

18. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    There's no way you can put 720cc injectors and increase the size of the plenum, huge throttle bodies and so forth on the factory engine fuel and ignition map, not going to happen.
    You'll be fitting an aftermarket programmable ECU to make that work.

Nicely done though, a work of art!!

19. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Is this actually a KIA engine? K900?

20. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Stinger 3.3L

white out likes this.
  21. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    @white out

What was the deciding factor in using this powerplant over more commonly swapped motors?

22. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I spoke with Steve about it. Same car, swapping from the first intake manifold design to the current netted the 100+whp gain over stock intake manifold. So while there were modifications to the car, they were part of the before/after power figures and the only hardware change for the power gain was the intake manifold.

Mostly because it is not a commonly used powerplant and makes a lot of power. A Stinger with smaller turbos than I'm running put down over 700whp, which is well beyond what the chassis needs to have a good time. The other part is Steve (and Martin) built the KIA/RedBull drift car and ride-along Stingers for KIA and was impressed with the powerplant.

Also, the DMC used an odd engine (the PRV) when new, so going with an odd engine was quite fitting.

Totally off topic (this is the 348/355 section), but since this thread is about Steve. Here's the equal length downpipe design he came up with for my 575M (and Martin fabricated). After that we bumped the diameter up to 2.5" and full Ti with muffler deletes. Dropped a second off the 60-130mph times and it spun on the 3-4 shift, so there was a significant power bump, ended up going with a bigger r-compound tire. Martin just modified a set of 550 exhaust manifolds so I should get another 20whp+ power bump, better sound and power should hold until redline.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. GTUnit

GTUnit Karting

May 25, 2014
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Interesting thread. I balked at the 100hp intake figure but open to hearing more details about it.