Maserati (I know, wrong section) Questions | FerrariChat

Maserati (I know, wrong section) Questions

Discussion in '360/430' started by Jdubbya, Jul 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    So I've been perusing this section since I bought my 2009 Grantruismo. Yes it's a Maserati and yes I know this is the Ferrari 360/430 section.

My new to me car is one of the only 300 in the US with the F1 gearbox. Supposedly it's the same gearbox as the 430 of the same era.

With so few Maseratis with this gearbox there really isn't much info out there. Almost no info to be honest, even on other more active Maserati boards.

So here are my couple questions for all the F1 experts here. Does anyone know is it really the same gearbox as in the 430 and will most or all of the technical info posted here apply to mine?

The car has about 53k miles on it and the previous owner replaced the clutch about 2 years ago so I don't expect to have many problems in the near future, but it would be nice to finally have a definitive answer to a few questions (and I've been seeing things like launch control, hill assist F1 modes?!?) and am wondering if they apply to my car as well.

I can say, with the throttle mashed and the RPM's up near redline, the shifts are insanely fast. Oh, the previous owner did install the Forumula Dynamics "enhancement module" that is supposed to have updated the trans to similar to the 599 "superfast" performance.

I am a DIY kind of guy so reading a lot of the threads here about the F1 trans has been very interesting to say the least.

Thanks and hope to keep learning more!
    John

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Try the hillclimb mode and see. Full stop, select 1st, either hit downshift paddle once and wait or (the way I do it), hold down the downshift paddle until you hear a beep. Will not hurt anything if it does not work.

3. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I just read that thread a while back which really got me thinking and that's one thing I am going to try next time I drive it. :)

4. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Launch control gives major clutch wear. These cars are relatively heavy and not drag racers.

5. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I can imagine. Launch control isn't something I'd use often but might be fun to try. :)

6. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Before I purchased my 360, I sat down with my Bimmer mechanic to pick his brain. I wanted to make sure I had a trusted person capable of servicing an FCar. I’ve seen several at his shop in the past and wanted to ask questions.

Mike gave me a good rundown on 360s and 430s. He then took me over to a Maserati on the lift (sorry, cannot recall model) and said this had the same transmission as the 360.

John, PM me and I’ll give you Mike’s number if you want to ask him questions. He’s super chill, a fantastic guy, and races cars on dirt tracks on weekends…

Jdubbya likes this.
  7. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I thought they used the 599 transaxle no?

Jdubbya likes this.
  8. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Hi I had the same 2009 GranTurismo S with the F1 box and i believe it was same as the on in the 599 and has "super fast" shift; i believe it's a newer/better/faster than the one in F430 but slower than one in the Scuderia.... I miss that Maserati so much! That engine 4.7L cross-plane crank with the switchable exhaust has the sexiest sound of any engine anywhere, ever... the best...

I just chickened out when it made a little clinking sound when temp outside was 20F and i thought the variatiors were going to let go at some point. I shoulda kept it....

TroyNVie and Jdubbya like this.
  9. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    my guess is it's the same shifting as the late 2008/2009 F430, which is faster than the earlier models, but slower than the Scuderia.

Jdubbya likes this.
  10. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    The sound is amazing. I knew they sounded good before I bought this one but I had no idea just how good. I agree it's one of the best sounding cars ever. I sometimes go out of my way to hit a large underpass here just so I can scream it or downshift it under there. Took the infamous I-90 tunnels on the way back from Seattle a couple weeks ago. Holy hell, it's amazing.

I got pretty lucky I think buying this one from a fellow member here. The variators were done two owners ago. The PO put a new clutch in it about two years ago along with a bunch of other work. It's been relatively trouble free except some small electrical gremlins popping up lately, and of course a few sticky bits like most cars of this era! :rolleyes:

It is a fun car.

Oh, I tried the hill climb thing the other morning on the way out of the garage. Not sure it worked, I ended up with a message that flashed for a second about trans fault or something. As soon as I hit neutral and back into first though it was fine.

The electrical issues I'm having seem to be symptoms of a weak battery but it's only a couple years old. But I just ordered a fairly cheap battery load tester to see how it is under load.

Thanks for all the info everyone, still learning!!

catdog likes this.
  11. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I've heard that and I've also read or heard it's the same as the 430. I have no idea what the difference is between those two. The 599 would make more sense because of the layout though. And now that I go look at pics it makes more sense that it's closer to the 599.

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The 599 transaxle was designed to handle a lot more torque than the Maserati needed. Does not mean it was not used, just that the F430 guts would make more sense. Late F430 ~125 ms min shift time, Superfast 1 100 ms min shift time.

Easiest way to tell would be to go to Eurospares parts catalogs and see which parts match.

catdog likes this.
  13. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    So supposedly...I use that word a lot it seems with this car...it has the 599 superfast software which when in MC shift mode they say is 100ms shifts (in sport mode, at more than 80% throttle and above 5500rpm that is).

A motor trend review from back in the day said its "Using the latest programming developed for Ferrari's racy 430 Scuderia, this is the fastest-shifting robotically operated trans ever bolted into a Maserati. "

Either way it's a fun car whatever gearbox it actually is. I tried looking up parts but they all three seem to have different numbers. They all look a bit different too but the clutch assembly from the 599 looks to my eye to be the same. No idea. I'm just gonna drive it and enjoy it and fix it when I need to. :D

14. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Yes you can feel the 'super fast' shift in action if you are full throttle and shift near redline from 2nd to 3rd and you realize wow that was a crazy fast shift. Doesn't get activated at lower rpm or when on part throttle. Motor trend makes mistakes... it's the 599 F1 which is a little better than 430 (less so after 2008 update) and slower than Scud. You got me scouting CarGurus for another one now hahahah. Best engine sound/exhaust combo EVER!! Look up Davide Cironi's review of it on YouTube for those who haven't driven one.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Superfast 1, 100 ms, Superfast 2 (Scud/16M, 599 GTO) 60 ms.

catdog likes this.
  16. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Maserati 4200 and Ferrari 360/430 use the same guts for the gearbox, albeit with different input and output casings.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19633500GT likes this.
  17. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    But I'm talking about a Granturismo S. Whether true or not I've heard the F1 in this car is different than the Cambiocorsa in the 4200. But again, there doesn't seem to be much real, solid info out there on the interwebs.

18. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Looking at the parts diagrams, I’d say the grandturismo gearbox is not derived from the 575/612/599 gearbox. From the layout of the actuator, I’d say that it’s related to the 430/4200 gearbox family.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat