Maranello Atelier | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Maranello Atelier

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Robert P, Jan 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Hi Michael

Thanks.

At present I am planning to have it delivered to the UK, but driving it back is tempting!

Re the front end lifter - I did not have any problem with my 458 with speed bumps etc, and I try to avoid m/s car parks, so did not find it a problem.

Best.

Robert

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Did you have to decide on (MPSS) tyres Robert ?

How is that ? Extra pricing ?

3. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Mel, I think the P Zero is the default tyre, but the MPSS is an option at no additional cost.

The general consensus on the forum seems to be that the MPSS is superior.

4. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    Glad you had a great time - as it should have been.
    I had 2 yellow cars before going red. So I know what it is like to change up colors.
    With that background, you asked for opinions, so here goes:
    I was in my dealer a while back and there was a red car with yellow brakes. It looks fine, but the shields, yellow center caps, and the brakes seem to break up the fluid lines of the car. On a grey (any shade), TDF, or Rubina car, the yellow makes the car look sportier IMO. On a red car I find the yellow detracts from the sporty/elegant look. I did red calipers on the 2 red cars I have/had. I have since seen several red cars with yellow brakes. I do not dislike them. I just don't like it as much as red. Silver isn't bad. Black is fine, but not very interesting to me. I can guarantee you will get lots of different opinions on brake color and whether you should accent them.
    In regards to matte charcoal/black wheels, they look better to me only at the factory due to the exceptionally bright lights. Maybe because I grew up with black wheels signifying you didn't pony up for "hub caps" makes me not like the look. Plus, the wheel can add a level of interest to the body design which I find is lost with the dark/matte wheel. Again, this is me, not you.
    Great spec and congrats!
    Randy

5. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I have red calipers on my Rosso Corsa 430 and really like the looks over the yellow. As others have said, yellow looks fine, but detracts from the overall look if going with Rosso Corsa body color.

The diamond cut wheels look very good on the 488 and I would not be hesitant to go with them. As you said, they look "classy" on this vehicle. If you decide to go with the diamond cut wheels, I woudl definitely go with the red calipers instead of yellow otherwise you'll have too much "going on" with the wheels.

Again, great spec!

Tony

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Indeed they are Robert, good choice at no cost ! :D

7. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Thanks Randy & Tony for your kind words about my spec, and the really helpful input.

I think you are both right - diamond cut wheels with red callipers are going to work better with my rosso corsa exterior.

I still have a few days before I need to sign-off, but am pretty sure that is the way I will go.

8. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Robert,

Please accept my warmest congratulations on your new 488. Absolutely stunning!

Enjoy in good health.

One word of advice, if I may: pick the car from the factory and drive all the way home. You'll regret not doing so! I bet you'll have a wonderful time and it will be the perfect tale to add to the atelier trip!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

9. pawlie

pawlie Formula Junior

May 10, 2006
    Philly, USA
    Full Name:
    Paul F.
    Congratulations on your new car, and thank you for sharing your experiences! Very interesting for those of us just dreaming about an Fcar.

Best regards.

10. bob_Uk

bob_Uk Karting

Oct 13, 2016
    Robert,

If you are in the UK I would give serious consideration to the lifter on the 488. I am not sure where you live but I have it on my GTB and I know it has already saved my sanity a few times. How? Because the dealer lent me a car without one for the weekend before mine arrived and I was amazed how close I was to speed bumps on several occasions!

Also be aware if it has not been mentioned elsewhere that diamond cut wheels come with a sort of "dealer repair warning". Although not mentioned when my GTB was ordered, there are apparently issues with repairing the diamond cut due to the way their are manufactured. This is different to the 458 wheels of the same name. As I said, just what I heard, but perhaps worth asking about.

11. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Nino/Paul - many thanks for your kind words!

Bob - I live in London and didn't have any problems with my 458 with speed bumps etc. I agree the lifter might prove useful, but the cost with compulsory AFS headlights is over £4K, and I would have to juggle my spec, and probably opt for grigio corsa rims rather than diamond cut.

As for repairing the diamond rims I wasn't aware there was a specific problem with the 488, although I know you can only repair them a couple of times.

12. 997usa

997usa Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert J.
    Hi Robert, great to read your experience. We did the same early March 2016 and indeed the production line helped us narrow down our choices too!

Couple comments:
    - Alcantara inserts - i have them, you will love them!
    - Yellow Calipers - i went back and forth and selected the red ones in the end - its more calm and less 'McD-like' - i think you will enjoy it more over time as well.
    - Yellow Speedometer - If you select the red calipers, i suggest to change the speedometer to either red (but hard to see) or white (which i have) or silver (more unique).

Last option that i suggest is to replace all the inner carpeting for nero alcantera - i do not have it (but should have).

13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #38 Melvok, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am happy with the yellow calipers .... instead of red ... just my 2 cents :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Dingoman

Dingoman Rookie

Jan 8, 2017
    Spain
    I had the some issues, changed wife and solved

15. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Then why is not the default tyre ?

16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Because Italians want to sell Italian tyres ...

17. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Mel,

Lovely photo, lovely 458 and thumbs up regarding yellow brake calipers. Seen some rosso corsa 458s with red calipers, it works on the whole but yellow makes it all the more striking in the right way, imho.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

cole328 likes this.
  18. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Thanks Robert - I looked at the red rev counter at the Atelier, and agree that it was hard to see - white or silver sound interesting!

19. lamarmotte

lamarmotte Karting

Feb 5, 2014
    France
    Congratulations for your order

Consider the front lifter because of the front overhang slightly taller than the 458

What is your delivery time in UK ?

20. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Thanks - was quoted 15-18 months by some UK dealers, but ordered mine last Aug/Sept and hope to have in May.

21. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    Mel,
    I can't argue. YOLO is beautiful.
    In regards to Pirelli, sadly it is now owned by the Chinese if my memory is correct.
    Randy

22. lamarmotte

lamarmotte Karting

Feb 5, 2014
    France
    Thanks, i sent you a PM

Is your dealer told you the deadline to choose the final configuration ?

23. F430kenric

F430kenric Formula 3

Mar 27, 2011
    #48 F430kenric, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Likewise!!

25. lamarmotte

lamarmotte Karting