Maranello Atelier | FerrariChat

Maranello Atelier

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Robert P, Jan 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    I have an Atelier appointment at Maranello later this week to spec my new 488 coupe - can't wait!! I am taking my two sons with me - so it will be an extra special trip.

My dealer has booked a factory tour on the same day, plus lunch at Montana. We are staying in Modena, and have a spare day before we fly back to London.

Any recommendations for restaurants, things to do in Modena would be much appreciated.

2. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    We stayed at the Canal Grande and it was quaint/old/charming.
    The Enzo Museum is a must. I don't know what exhibit is currently there, but even my wife enjoyed seeing Enzo's office and the old factory.
    As we were there on a Sunday, there were only a few restaurants open. As such, I cannot give you a good recommendation. Your hotel I am sure can help you with this. The Canal Grande Hotel supposedly has a good restaurant but it was closed on Sunday!!!
    Enjoy the experience. It really is a blast!
    I asm not telling you to miss Montana. However, try and go to The Cavallino just outside the gate. Our meal was fantastic.
    Best

3. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
  4. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    #4 agrun, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    did the atelier with my family right after the tour, followed by the bolognese at montana. save room for desert. you are in for a special day. i would opt for dinner at osteria francescana, billed as possibly the finest restaurant in the world. and you will be right there

Osteria Francescana

5. LVRS

LVRS Rookie

Jul 17, 2015
    Sounds like a great trip! I was there a few months back. The museum is a must and you will definitely enjoy Montana restaurant. There is a restaurant on the hill near the factory (can't remember the name) that one of the factory drivers introduced us to, it overlooks the rolling hills and has an outdoor patio. Great place!

6. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Thanks so much guys for the recommendations and good wishes - really helpful.

Flying out tomorrow!!!

7. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    It's all relative and perhaps dependent on the day - I thought Cavallino was at best ok and Montana much better. The big disappointment is hotel accommodation in the Modena/Maranello area. The best restaurant but difficult to get into is Osteria Francescana in Modena. Put yourself on the wait list for the time you're there and maybe you'll get a cancellation. Expensive but I've always had good food there - ranked the best in the world but not sure how one can say that about a restaurant!!!

8. F430kenric

F430kenric Formula 3

Mar 27, 2011
    You are going to love it. I had Anna as my designer. My 488 turned out wonderful. Go in with an open mine. You should take the train ans stay in Florence. My favorite Italian city. If you do go. Try Buco Marios and get the T-bone.

9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Have a GOOD TIME !

And afterwards ... show us lots of photo's please Robert :)

10. tikitiki

tikitiki Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2014
    Windermere, Fl
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Have a great trip. When my youngest turns 16 i want to make that trip with the family to spec a car as well. Definitely on the bucket list.

11. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I always prefer Restaurant Montana for DINNER, and Cavallino for LUNCH. Usually if you go to Cavallino for lunch, you will see members of the F1 team dining there as well. Last time I was there, I had a brief chat with Maurizio Arrivabene, who was standing in the front entrance waiting for his lunch mate to return from the restroom while I stood there waiting for my wife to return from the restroom. For me, it's little moments like that which are unforgettable.

12. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Thanks everyone for the really great ideas.

Osteria Francescana fully booked but am on the waiting list just in case. Will probably try for Ristorante Europa 92 or Cavalino as recommended.

I will take some pics and post next week.

13. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    If you get to osteria, share your experience. Anna at Atelier is awesome. Nice touches here and there will make your car stand out and feel truly custom and you will always have the memory of specking the car at the factory. No need to CF the thing to death.

14. MrRdStr

MrRdStr Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2008
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    AJ.
    #14 MrRdStr, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    I'm at Osteria on the 9th and will let you know how it is these days. I've been a few times before but not in the last year or so.

16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Photos please David ? :D

17. F430kenric

F430kenric Formula 3

Mar 27, 2011
    #17 F430kenric, Jan 18, 2017
  18. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Im thinking for my next Ferrari, I might have to do the Maranello experience. My issue is my wife could care less about my car nor could my 2 daughters. Might have to wait till I have son in laws or grandsons which is a long way off.

19. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Or ... just leave them home and bring your new GF with you ... :D

20. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    my new GF is my ferrari! :)

21. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Semantics ... I than mean your Secretary :D

22. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    I went last year.
    The Enzo museum in Modena is a must.
    I liked it as much as the main Ferrari museum in Maranello.
    In terms of food quality neither Montana nor Cavallino are very good, really.
    Heavy emphasis on balsamic and usually over used in the various dishes.
    Rather, you go there for the history, environment and displays.
    I enjoyed dinner at Montana for those reasons.
    I had dinner at Cavallino and would not do it again.
    It is lightly populated until late in the evening and then with mainly male business related people. Service is cold and uninterested. I agree that lunch would offer a much better experience.
    Castelvetro has excellent restaurants if you want better food.
    I hope to return in March after attending the Geneva car show.
    Enjoy your trip!
    You will have a great time.

23. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Thanks - and yes I did have a great time!

Just returned, so will post some pics and a few notes over the next couple of days.

24. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    #24 Robert P, Jan 22, 2017
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions - needless to say, we had a fantastic time in Italy!

On the restaurant front, as expected Osteria Francescana had been fully booked for some months, and we tried to book Europa 92, but it was closed for January. However, we found a really good restaurant in Modena centre – Caffé Concerto, and of course lunch at Montana was a highlight. No menu, just ate and drank what they brought us, which was all delicious. When we realised we were running late for the factory tour, a couple of members of staff even drove us back in their own cars!

The Atelier experience was brilliant. We were booked in with Anna, but Francesca took over at the last minute. She was incredibly helpful, particularly with the interior/exterior colour matches, and nothing was too much trouble. Also, she put no pressure on us to take on options we didn’t really want, and neither did our dealer who was also there.

The production line walk was really helpful, and we left with a clear idea of the final spec – other than wheels & calliper colour, which we narrowed down to two choices. We hopefully have another week or two to finalise this.

My two sons and I found the whole experience just very special, and we loved every minute. I also felt privileged and fortunate to be one of the few people who ever get to spec their own new Ferrari. The only problem is that having done it once, I now want to do it again! I think plans of retirement will therefore have to go on hold, and after another 2 or 3 years of hard work, I may just get back there to spec a new F12M. Am already thinking of asking my dealer to put me on the waiting list!

I am attaching a couple of pics as requested.

On the spec itself, my previous two F cars have been nero & grigio silverstone, and so I just had to go for rosso corsa this time. It should look something like this:

Rosso Corsa Exterior
    Nero interior
    Carbon Fibre racing package (steering wheel/driver zone, dashboard inserts & tunnel bridge)
    Carbon Fibre rear air ducts
    Goldrake Racing Seats in Nero Leather, with Nero Alcantara inserts.
    Sport seat lifter
    Rosso stripe on seat
    Rosso double stitching
    Rosso seat belts
    Nero carpet and mats, with rosso logo
    Rosso cavalino on headrest with rosso 488 GTB logo stitched below
    Nero alcantara for lower dash, door inserts and rear shelf
    Scuderia Shields
    Yellow rev counter
    Electrochromic mirrors
    Front & rear parking sensors
    Rear camera
    Michelin tyres
    Wheels/Callipers – to be decided

The final choice on the wheels/callipers is between diamond cut forged, or matt black standard wheels, and red or yellow callipers.

I have seen others on the forum be quite critical of matt black wheels – boy racer image and difficult to pick out visually. I understand these points, but the black wheels I saw on the production line looked really good, and would fit the overall sporty theme of red & black. I think they look better in person than they photograph. Both Francesca and my dealer thought that if I were to go with this option, I should think about adding the carbon fibre side air splitter to continue the external theme. The diamond cut forged wheels also looked great, and being a little classier, would probably be a safer bet.

As for calliper colour, yellow stands out more to me, it is probably more traditional, and obviously works well with the shields and wheel caps. Alternatively, red also works well with my colour choice, and I wonder if it is a little sportier/more modern.

I know it’s my decision in the end, but I would be very interested if anyone has any thoughts on these last two issues.

Best to all. Robert.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

KZE likes this.
  25. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi Robert

Loved reading this thread, great to hear your experience..

Are you planning on collecting the car from the factory and driving it home?

Did you consider the front end lifter?

Regards

Michael