Manual Transmissions - A Rant - I Vent | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Manual Transmissions - A Rant - I Vent

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Billy10mm, Feb 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Your car?

2. Jdahlstrom

Jdahlstrom Formula 3

Feb 28, 2005
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Josh Dahlstrom
    I can only dream. I drive a 1990 535i/5.

3. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Figured I would ask before I asked you to give her a hug for me!

4. Jdahlstrom

Jdahlstrom Formula 3

Feb 28, 2005
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Josh Dahlstrom
    #54 Jdahlstrom, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My buddy mike has an e9 with a csl front lip. I can give it a hug next time i see it :D.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. fpb

fpb Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    MI, Chicago
    I couldn't agree more with the original poster. Unfortunately I think that the domestic companies will be the last to offer 3 pedal cars (which isn't a bad thing considering the new Shelby GT500 does 200).

Automatic transmissions make perfect sense...for a Lincoln Town Car or a church bus.

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Amen.

7. Blue4reF1

Blue4reF1 Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Plantation, FL
    Full Name:
    Blake Simon
    I kindly disagree. I don't think I have ever had more fun driving a car than I do in my fathers manual F430. Just something about being low to the ground, engine in the back, 6 speed manual in the middle is just exhilarating. I've driven some other fast and exciting cars and my DD is a S4 with the double clutch gearbox. The dual clutch is fantastic but honestly you just cannot beat a manual. Period.

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If you drive one of the more recent Porsches with a manual gearbox, you'll find it much smoother. Even the older 996 cars I've driven have been intuitive and precise. You can change gears more quickly after a very short time in the seat.

Honda manual gearboxes are also especially good, although I wouldn't call their cars exhilarating.

Ferrari used what seems like the same damn gearbox in the 308-348 run, and then upgraded it once to six speeds. From what I can tell, the company then kind of left the manual box alone and invested in the paddle shift systems continuously.

I think we tend to forgive a lot of subpar engineering in the old gated shifters simply because the cars are loud and fun, and there's a lot of ceremony to it.

9. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I agree and so well said :)

Lee

10. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    God I love that. Low beltline, nice greenhouse and thin pillars. Completely opposite of what is sold today.

11. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    So very true.

12. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Which IMO, defeats the purpose of the OP wanting a new Porsche with a manual.

13. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I respectfully disagree. That is the purpose i.e. to enjoy yhe car you are driving :)
    No right or wrong

He is correct in my view the newer Turbo cars are so fast they need the fancy automatic transmission to fully utlize the power. The manual is just not quick enough,

Lee

14. QV308

QV308 Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I think many car manufacturers have acknowledged that the demise of the manual transmission has been chiefly driven by vehicle emissions legislation around the world. This and safety legislation has such a huge influence on car development now. When you can systemise/automate it, then you can regulate and control it. You can't really do that with the driver (no matter how hard they try!).

Like many Fchatters, with the right car and road conditions, I love the satisfaction of using a manual gearbox, particularly when it's the open gate of a Ferrari. It's still part of the 'thrill of driving'. Maybe it's also something where I can delude myself that it's a skill many others don't have.

'Run of the mill' cars in Europe still have a significant sales bias towards the traditional manual, but it seems the writing is on the wall longer term. However, I am still relatively optimistic. Both the current and previous BMW M5 for the USA market are encouraging examples. We don't even get the manual version in Germany, where the car is produced!

In a few years I'm sure I'll be considered a Luddite!

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I do not see how the difference between the two effect emissions?

16. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    It ssed to be that the manual cars had the advantage, offered with more gears, and with less frictional losses.

The new DSG boxes offer fast shifts, and they can build them with more gears, without having to make a driver friendly shift level for a twelve speed gearbox. More gears, allows more of the engine's work to be done in a narrower more fuel efficient region. Having more gear options to be in, allows you to keep the engine RPM lower. In my 5 speed 944, 30MPH is an awkward speed, I can run low RPM in 4th on a gentle down hill, or run higher RPM than I'd like to cruise at in 3rd. Given a 10 speed gearbox, I'd have a gear that fits 30MPH better.

17. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    The right foot imho has alot to do with it also.

18. QV308

QV308 Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Automated manual trannies / DCT have pre-programmed economy modes, which give good CO2 emissions in statutory tests. Shift points and engine rev ranges are optimised for minimised CO2.

19. QV308

QV308 Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Ross
    It certainly does!

20. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    #70 Fan512bbi, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    I see 3 pedals, a stick in the center, and a steering wheel. I'm good. :)

22. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    But the wheel is on the wrong side :)

23. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    This thread makes me want to do a 360Trev esque project, but with a scuderia. dry carbon scuderia exterior panels and GT2 doors, manual gearbox, wring extra powers from the engine and go 458 hunting ;).

24. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    It's on the right...er...correct side! ;):D

25. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Looks like something you would see on pimp my ride!