Manual Transmissions - A Rant - I Vent | FerrariChat

Manual Transmissions - A Rant - I Vent

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Billy10mm, Feb 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    #1 Billy10mm, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
    F@$k!

Read yesterday that Porsche is considering a PDK-only transmission for the next GT3. Go f@$k yourself Porsche. I'm truly upset, very very upset, at the demise of the manual transmission. I guess it started with Ferrari, then Lamborghini did it, now Porsche. I held out hope for Porsche - I thought they "got it" when they released the CGT and the only option was to row your own via what is arguably the most beautiful shift knob ever created, but apparently my hope was ill-founded.

I don't like sports-cars for the outright last ounce of speed. I'm not an 18 year-old speed junkie with something to prove, nor am I having some sort of mid-life crisis where I need to own the fastest thing on the block. I don't care that this year's sequential manual gearbox can shift 10 milliseconds faster than last years. I DESPISE the idea of some computer blipping the throttle for me on a downshift.

My love of a good sports car revolves not around the badge on the hood or the timestamp on the last lap, but around how much sensory overload I experience during the drive. A good sports car should be a like a good woman; stunningly beautiful, firm, a great dance partner, and her voice should be pleasing to your ear. On the dance thing; she should be light on her feet, respond quickly to your lead, and she should follow your commands - however wrong they might or might not be. That last part is the most important.

I find no joy in driving fast if I can't take credit for it. I doubt any man here is smitten with the idea that his wife is well-pleasured, if another man is doing the work. Like finding the groove and making her tremble, mouth open - holding back the screams, there is no greater joy behind the wheel than a well-executed, perfectly timed heel-n-toe downshift in a good car.

I want to be as heavily involved in the experience as possible. I want my right foot to control the mid-corner attitude of the rear half of my car. I want to synchronize my left foot, my right foot, and my right hand for each up-shift. I want to additionally control the ball of my right foot and the side/heel of my right foot on most of my down-shifts. I want to do it all myself and I want the joy of doing it right to be mine, even if that means that I'll have to take financial responsibility for doing it wrong.

If I fall in love with a car, I want not only to be able to keep it for 30 years and pass it down to my sons, but I want a mechanic to be able to repair it along the way. I don't want a knob on my steering wheel or a button on my dash that puts me in control of my car - it should just come that way. The only aid I want is anti-lock brakes, you can remove the rest of the crap. Yaw control, stability control, traction control ... no thanks, I'll take over from here. It infuriates me to know that we're primarily here today, in this age of nanny-control, because of idiots with more money than sense who wrapped their 930 Turbos (for example) around inanimate objects then sued the automaker for selling them a car they didn't have the skill to drive.

I find it unbelievably depressing that I get excited when I see an F430 with a stick because they're so rare, that the 458 isn't offered with one, that there are but TWO Murcielago SVs in the US with a third pedal, and none worldwide for the Aventador. It absolutely floored me to read that only 30% of GT3 buyers opt to row their own.

I love when a car is only offered in a manual. Cars like the Honda S2000, Dodge Viper, and Porsche CGT will always hold a certain level of respect in my heart for no other reason than that they were made for purists; those who can't drive stick need not apply - the rest of you get in line. I respect that in a very real way.

I died a little inside last night. I really did. I read the news yesterday and it put a fear into my mind that 5 years from now there will be no good sports cars left that will let me blip the throttle on my own damned downshift. I can't stop thinking about it. I'm not doing anything productive today because I just can't seem to expel the thought from my mind.

This truly blows and I haven't been this disappointed, this upset, since my grandmother passed away 10 years ago.

Rant over. Apologies to all, I needed to write that down somewhere.

--Billy
    Stick-Shift Driver.

2. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Some of us felt the same way about the air-cooled cars.

(James is still holding on to his six-speed 993 Targa)

3. Scuderia_Ferrari

Scuderia_Ferrari Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Very, very well written - I'm going to keep this. I agree 100%

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I guess I agree with most of your rant, but with all of the electronics onboard every modern sports car you and I really aren't entitled to much of the credit anyway.

Brake by wire, drive by wire, traction control, stability control/active suspension, ABS, engine management computers, variable rate steering, active aerodynamics... anyone who thinks something like a Ferrari F430, Porsche 997, Audi R8 or other high end car is a "do-it-yourself-er" hasn't driven a Jag XK-120, Porsche 356, Lotus Elite, etc., where you're effectively doing everything short of feeding petrol into the cylinders.

So, you're right, but it's all relative.

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Never owned anything but a manual until my current DD.

There's always the aftermarket of course.

Interesting you posted this - I've been looking at F355's and it seems like all the cars on the market are F1 transmissions!!

6. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    #6 tfazio, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
    I have only owned manuals too. I think Porsche is one of the few companies that will continue to offer true manuals on most of their models for many years to come.

To the original poster, I suggest you contact Porsche with your concerns regarding the next GT3. BMW continues to listen to American enthusiasts who demand that they offer true manuals on some of their most exciting models.

7. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Well said, Billy!

Brian

8. Reece

Reece Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2010
    MMMMMMinneapolis
    Full Name:
    Reece Mikkelson
    OP, you just stated the exact reason why I am losing faith in supercars. Very, very well written.

9. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    As others have stated, well written. I hate when people say that they like the paddles because they are faster. Realistically, over 90% of the population couldn't even drive a miata at 9/10ths, much less a Porsche/Ferrari. If you want to be "faster" the time that you save going from stick to paddles isn't going to really help you.

10. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    If you really want manual, go back to the early race cars with a manual fuel pump. :\

Synchromesh ruined driver experience too I'm sure.

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Audi and VW also offer 3 pedal cars throughout their lines...In fact, some Audis and VWs can only be bought that way.

12. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    The reason you only see F1 transmissions is those of us with 6 speeds love our cars and are not selling. Best of luck in your search; one will come up it just takes longer to find a 6 speed.

13. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    to each his own. i left the gt3 family after 4 happy yrs of dd and 20+ track days precisely because it doesnt offer paddles. choice is best way to go - just make pdk an option

to the op- dont sweat it. i guarantee porsche will continue to offer a manual in their sports cars

14. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i suspect this is exactly true!

15. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    There are enthusiasts around who still contend that a 'crash box' (no syncros), when mastered, is better because it's more direct.

I supppose that's becoming a lost art (one that I never learned, btw).

16. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    The death of a manual tranny seem's as if it is very close to becoming a reality and that truelly saddens me.

17. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Well said, Bill Ng!

SAVE THE MANUALS!

(Pic:http://automotivenginerd.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/save-the-manuals-600x600px-jpeg-439x439.jpg)

If only this were a market forces issue. We all know it's not.

Most people I talk to feel that there's way too much nannying in sports cars. And while a lot of the techs bundled in the paragraph I quote have improved things that needed improving (starters), or made it easier to learn how to handle such a car (well thought out ABS, Nissan's rev-matching, etc) most haven't.

I have no problem with these techs being in place as long as (i) the driver can turn them off in a way that absolves manufacturers of liability, (ii), they're designed in a way that keeps weight down.

But none of the techs listed in the above parallel the taking away of manual transmissions -- even if they did pointing to the industry's evolution doesn't address the desire many have for manual transmissions.

Whoever's heading the M division these days told Car and Driver that a manual M5 has been discussed at BMW and that it's up to the US market to make the requisite noise (BMW tried to do away with manuals for the US market not too long ago. By the time they realized their mistake Porsche's 986/987 sales reflected the advantages of offering options in this market.)

If I ever earn enough to consider a Ferrari, and if current trends continue, the most I can hope for is a Scuderia that's retrofitted with the manual from a "standard" 430 (I heard Novitec was working on a manual 458. I'm not holding my breath, not sure I'd want to be dependent on a great but small concern for parts and service guidance.) I'm sure that's a seriously difficult and expensive thing to do, but it's how I feel, it's what I want -- I simply have no interest in a paddle shifting mid-engined sports car.

18. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm trying to get a manual for my next car. Hoping to trade my Honda Fit for a WRX or a Saab 9-2x Aero.

19. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Go with the Scubby!!! No disrespect towards Saab as that is just a personal opinion yet I also have a few quicks regarding Subaru.

20. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The Subaru would be my first choice, but since the Saab aero is basically a WRX at a $2000 discount I'm not ruling it out.

21. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You're OK with Nissan's rev-matching, but you're not OK with a dual clutch transmission that does the rev-matching for you.

Some would say rev matching is the core skill in driving a pure manual gearbox-equipped car. After all, you are selecting the gear in either case.

It's very hard to draw the line. A visible gear lever is a small part of the equation, IMHO.

22. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    We are getting a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD with the 6-speed. Certainly not a sports car, but Acura still offer the stick, with 305 HP and AWD.

23. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    I'm OK with Nissan's rev matching as either a learning tool or something one uses when one isn't in the mood, an option made possible by the fact that Nissan's system can be shut off.

And they'd be right, IMO.

Why limit choices, though?

And again: if all of this were market driven, living with it would be far, far easier. It'd be just as unnecessary and ominous, but easier to live with. It isn't market driven, though. And all this tech doesn't come cheap, so we're tossing money out the window in the name of the latest incarnation of the Sky Is Falling myth.

24. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    It sort of is market driven. I see two things pushing this,
    1. Most people are happy with a PDK/dual clutch/paddle shifter
    2. It's cheaper to design and develop 1 transmission for the car maker.

25. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    I agree, but I'm thinking of the sports car makers that wouldn't go this way if they weren't being held accountable to a nonstandard. (A million gears that engage automatically makes it easier to pass Emissions.)

I wouldn't order and FF with a manual, for instance, but can't imagine enjoying a 458 longterm because of the paddles. Thank God I'm several million dollars worth of income away from having to suffer this way . . .