Malfunction of F1 gearbox F355, shifting only 1,2 and Reverse? | FerrariChat

Malfunction of F1 gearbox F355, shifting only 1,2 and Reverse?

Discussion in '348/355' started by tomtruedentist, Apr 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomtruedentist

Apr 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tomas Prazak
    Hi guys, I am driving my F355 Berlinetta F1 transmission for 1 year and unfortunately 2 trips ended up on a tow car:( What happened is basically concerned with transmission and gearbox. After entering the high way from an exit, my speedometer stopped working, I could not shift more then 2 gear, then I went down to 1 and Reverse as well. What is going on? In my service, they say it is the pump of the clutch, which gets overheated and filled with air or what. Other trouble I am experiencing is res signal alert sign to slow down all the time when going slow and the engine does not cool down properly. Any similar experience? Thanks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Its NOT your pump

Your Speedo died its your speed sensor on the transmission.

I had this happen to me as well.
    It's been talked about in here.

If it happens always pull back on both paddles to get neutral then let the transmission pick the best gear it likes, it will go into 6th gear then you can down shift through the gears as needed, when you must stop and start again accelerate through 2rd then hit neutral Then downshift or upshift to make it pick the gear cant recall exactly up or down but it works.

To bad you paid for a tow it would have limped home that way.

Robb and Qavion like this.
  3. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    The slow down light concerns your catylitic converters.

If its on at cold start you have an issue
    If the sdl comes on after a drive it could be operating corectly.

But after a drive your engine bay will be hot as hell.

You'll have to trouble shoot these. Find a better shop.

4. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
  5. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Yep - Johnny nailed it - speed sensor is toast.

6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Just gonna say

Johnnys got you covered

7. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    By the way welcome Tomas

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Robb likes this.
  9. tomtruedentist

Apr 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tomas Prazak
    Thanks to all of you! I will try out all your tips! I should find a better service in Germany or Austria. So far I am visiting my maintainance in Czech Republic, just umounted my Sony Ferrari Radio because my cassette got stucked, does any of you have AUX input for playing music from your phone?

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Tomas, make sure those maintenance guys change the right sensor (P/N 149095, as mentioned earlier). There is an additional sensor mounted underneath the gearboxes of F1 cars (this is not the correct one)

For info: The electrical signal from the speed sensor actually goes through the speedometer and then back outside the instrument panel (where it goes to the F1 system, the engine ECU and the suspension ECU). It can affect a lot of systems.

Some folks update their stereos to newer systems which have bluetooth. Others use bluetooth devices (or other devices which plug into your phone's audio jack) which transmit FM radio signals to your car's radio on a certain frequency (which has to be tuned on your stereo). The F355 antenna is in the windscreen, so the FM device will have to have clear signal path to the windscreen for best reception. Some types are noisier than others. Anyway, there are probably quite a few solutions. I did a quick search of this forum but didn't get many hits (I'm probably using the wrong search words).

Anyway, good luck with your gearbox problem.

11. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    if you get the speed up in 2nd gear, then shift to neutral, does it let you downshift into 3-4-5-6 once in neutral if you're at the appropriate speed? I had the same problem and recall temporarily being able to drive it to the shop by doing that.