Lusso Values | FerrariChat

Lusso Values

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by PAUL BABER, Jan 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Its rather frightening but 2013 will mark my 40th year of selling Ferrari and as a rule of thumb up untill about 8 years ago a 250GT Lusso was percieved to have a value of 1/3rd the price of a steel bodied 250 SWB. This was not set in stone but if you consider prices over the past 4 decades its fairly accurate.

Today, and I quote European prices, two 'Street' 250 SWBs have recently sold for around the GBP 4 Million mark ( US$6.4 approx) but the average selling price for a Lusso is still GBP 650,000 (US$1 Mill). I fully understand the meteoric rise in SWB values but what is holding the Lussos back ? Overall lack of competition history ? Numbers built ? I don't think so as the same rules applied 20 years ago. If historic percentages were applied then a Lusso should now be selling for circa GBP 1.3 Mill( US$2.3 approx). There are plenty of Lusso buyers out there but I sense no rise in the values. I dont have the answer but it intrigues me.

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The super rich are now even richer and fighting harder for the "To Die For", very rare and competition models.

3. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Irrelevant..... It was exactly the same 20, 30 and even 40 years ago.

4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    ...or there are just more super rich people today than 20, 30 or 40 years ago but they only want the elite cars.

5. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Hi Paul,

after 40 years you should know, it is still the question of supply and demand..... :)

Although the Lusso is a nice car (IMO the rear screen is way too big...) the SWB (and a little less, the 275 GTB) are more important and "nicer" cars. That is not my opinion, but the opinion of the "crowd" as it reflects in its price. You can agree or not, but this is the reality.

Ciao
    Oscar

6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The speedo and tachometer in the centre of the dash on the Lusso won't suit everyone so this could put some potential buyers off.

7. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Hi Oscar....But there is a HUGE demand for Lussos and not nearly enough cars to supply the present market.......Ones opinion of a Lusso compared to anything else is not the point I was attempting to make. Granted a 250 SWB may be considered a more important....I will not say desirable....car but 'Traditionally' Lussos have sold for 1/3rd the price of a street SWB........My question is why have Lusso prices stagnated in comparison to the SWB ? The merits of either car do not matter.

8. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Are you being serious ????

9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #9 miurasv, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
    If as you say there is a HUGE demand for Lussos and not enough supply the basic laws of economics would take force and push the prices up. Either the dealers aren't doing their jobs properly and guilty of weak selling, which I'm sure is not the case, or the HUGE demand is only up to a certain price point for this model.

10. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    The demand is appearently not HUGE enough to drive the prices. If the demand was really HUGE prices WOULD go up. That all there is about supply and demand.

11. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Yes, I am. I find the car to be very elegant but those central clocks look quite distracting to me. With speed cameras everywhere I like to see the speedo straight ahead, not to my right. I know a GTO doesn't have a central speedo either, but like Sophia Loren, I will forgive that car anything.

12. flat-12

flat-12 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2011
    Germany
    You may be right with your relation about the price of the SWB to the Lusso - the price for the Lusso was about 1/3rd of the SWB, sometimes little less. Do you think a SWB is really worth 5.000.000€ ??? I really don't think so ... when one or two Dino 246 GTS is / are sold for 400.000€, are all Dino's worth 400.000€ now ...

13. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    These potential buyers should consider a 911 or a "Flugeltur" as this is the nicest aspect of a Lusso. The interior (and that is of course the most important visual item if you drive the car) of the Lusso is fantastic. The 275 is much less interesting, although the wood dash is nice.

ciao
    Oscar

14. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Supply & demand is a fair point but I have never known the interest in Lussos to be as strong as it is today. Dont get me wrong, I'm not pushing a car. I do not have a Lusso in stock sadly. I just am surprised that the present surge in SWB prices has not reflected at all in the percieved value of a Lusso......as it traditionally did.

15. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Yes, the clocks on the Lusso are very interesting and actually visually very appealing, just not practical, imo. I'd still buy one but I'm only voicing what may put some buyers off.

16. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    There are SWBs out there with dubious histories that are not worth that figure and would not sell anywhere near it but I do think the SWB is fast becoming the new GTO in collectors minds. GTO prices are so stratospheric that there really are only a handful of buyers who can afford them. For some years GTOs have tended to be sold between consenting bilionaires rather than through the trade or auctions and I now notice this is starting to happen with SWBs. As for Dinos, Daytonas etc I think the world has gone mad.

17. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    I find the car to be very elegant but those central clocks look quite distracting to me. With speed cameras everywhere I like to see the speedo straight ahead, not to my right. Steve......Either your peripheral vision is non existent or you have never driven a Lusso

18. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #18 miurasv, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
    You are correct. I have never driven a Lusso but neither have most potential buyers. You have sold and handled the sale of more Lussos than most Ferrari dealers, so can you say that nobody has given the position of the clocks as an objection to buying one? I am not at all doubting your sales ability as you must have been doing it right for you to have been doing it successfully for 40 years, but if not you may not have asked enough probing questions to find out what the objection is. If in practice the clocks are easy to read when driving then you can do your job as a salesman and overcome my objection and turn a negative into a positive. Excellent salesmanship. Knowledge is power.

19. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    When I drive my 330GTC I hardly ever look at my speedo and no speed tickets so far in 12,000 miles - you know which speed you are doing because these cars are much louder and more alive than modern cars. I doubt I will have any issues with the central gauges.

Onno

20. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    The Daytona hasn't moved much in recent years, nothing compared to the Dino. Or have I missed something?

Onno

21. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    My Dad brought a Lusso (don't know the chassis number but a well know RHD one reg 100DLP when he brought it) after selling his SWB (3605GT), but found the Lusso not as nice to drive as the SWB and the view in front with the clocks was distracting, and moved the car on.

22. flat-12

flat-12 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2011
    Germany
    You are right again, there are only very few SWB with that great history, these cars may be worth anywhere near that figure. The other SWB are more the kind of a very nice and early V12 Gran Tourismo Ferrari, the predecessor of the 275 GTB. IMO this set of classic V12 Gran Tourismo (250 SWB, 275 GTB, 365 Daytona) seems to be very sought after. Perhaps that's the new trend. The price to restore a Daytona is about the same the restoration of a 250 or 275 costs, original series 1 cars for example are also sought after and do not exist in high piece numbers. On the other hand, why is the 512 BB compared to predecessor quite cheap?

IMO there is no such thing like the new 250 GTO. But there are some racing Ferrari's like a Competition Daytona or the 512 BB LM that will perhaps become the new GTO in collectors mind, if you think about piece number and racing heritage in a way ...

23. flat-12

flat-12 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2011
    Germany
    Have a look at a nice Daytona (Series 1). The offered cars in europe start at a price of 300.000€ and there is some work to do ... compared to the Dino the price didn't rise that much.

24. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Happy new year Paul. I worry about using multiples when comparing relative values of Ferraris particularly when your base model SWB is in such demand. Are you suggesting we should apply the same ratio to all Ferraris including the dogs ?

What we are missing is that there are other marques that are relatively very good value and this suggests the the Ferrari premium is more about investment then about the car.

Kim

25. Streetrod

Streetrod Karting

Apr 16, 2011
    #25 Streetrod, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017