Looking to get a single post lift for my garage. | FerrariChat

Looking to get a single post lift for my garage.

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Afonsolaw, Jan 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Hope this is the right section to post this. I am looking to get a single post lift for my garage. The dimensions are 20 wide by 21 deep and 12 foot high. What are your suggestions. Looking for a company to sell and install I am in northern NJ if that makes any difference.
    Thanks in advance.

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Pm sent

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

3. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Check with various lift manufacturers. Make sure made in the Good old USA. No China lifts, but assembled US. Make sure your lift supports the suspension. I'm not sure if unipole lift's do that.

4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Has anyone tried the Tuxedo SP-6K single post lift ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. defiant

defiant Karting

Sep 16, 2008
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    S
    I have one similar to it and it has served me well as a storage lift for several years. It only goes up/down 2x a month for the car stored up high though, so I can't comment on longevity of components. It certainly appears much beefier than my 4-post, even though it supports 1/2 the weight though. I like it as it has a solid platform between the ramps so if a car's not up there, you can put quads or attic storage, etc. (the thing I didn't like about the tuxedo was the lack of the solid. supportable, platform between ramps. I don't know if this has since changed or not, but I couldn't get that then.)

It's probably not fit for any mechanical work on the lifted car (have a 12k, 9' wide 4-post for that) and as storage. But for just storing a car, it's fantastic. Note, I wouldn't use this for a daily-driver underneath though as the single post gets in the way of wife/kids opening passenger side doors. https://www.fastequipment.net/products/gtx-single-post-storage-lift/

plastique999 likes this.
  6. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I have an American Custom Lifts Single post M1 6.5 I put in my garage in 2021.

https://aclifts.com/lifts/m-1-single-post-car-lift/

Amazing piece of equiment that im so happy i pulled the trigger on. Its a substantial piece of harware. My garage space was high, but the layout wasnt particularly deep or wide. This was the only thing that made sense. Its wonderful as a parking lift and I give it an 8/10 as a maintenance lift. However what I am able to safely still do for work on my car is very invaluable. It gets regular use to its full height every week, as well as parking a daily driver under it (and rolling over the base) and has been maintenance free so far. The Ferrari and M3 have no problem clearing over the base

Great networked company did the install, lift is made in USA and support was excellent through the whole process. I have heard the prices have gone up significantly since i ordered mine in late 2020. Happy to answer any questions about it

Attached Files:

7. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Looks great!
    What was needed for install?
    Did they need to drill deep into the concrete?
    Can you PM me price and installation?

8. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I have the same lift from American Custom Lifts. Had it installed over 7 years ago. As Aerosurfer said it's commercial grade equipment and has been performing flawlessly since the installation. Would recommend the lift and the company highly without reservation.

plastique999 likes this.
  9. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Happy to post it for all to utilize..

Mine sits on a standard 4" slab concrete. My house is not a post-tension slab. They used 10 anchor bolts in securing the base to the concrete. The lift itself weighs about 4000lbs.

The install company was picked from ACL, I didn't shop around. Lift was sent to them and they did the install in about 7 hours. I had previously modified the garage door already and had installed the side shaft opener. My house was a former model home, so I had an old 220v A/C line and dedicated breaker that was no longer in use, I was able to do the electrical myself an simply reroute the line overhead and put a new outlet in the ceiling right above the lift. All in cost for me was just under $12k. The lift at the time was $8500, with another $1200 for freight, the rest was install, garage door mods and materials.

The installers showed up with 3 guys and a forklift. It was a treat watching them thread the needle of postioning the main post and assemble and place the components.

There is no doubt i love the utility of the lift. But also how little space it actually takes up. When raised, i have about 80" of clearance below at its lowest point, usually the left rear corner has the most flex. Yes there is built in sag with the design cantilever (kick, as i was told its called). Anyways, its great underneath, no one has to worry about hitting anything else when up, the kids can ride or play in the garage safely too. Its not an annoyance in any form for other reasons. The base plate and column support really has a small footprint. Pictures on their website show others have recessed it into the floor for even smaller area.

My garage isnt exaclty the same as many of the ACL catalog photos... its messy, used to store stuff for a young family of 4 and all kinds of sport equipment, plus shop tools. It still works perfectly. I do love the looks i get from people passing by as well. It was a huge hit decorated up at Halloween too!

Only a few downsides i can think of...

I am limited to what work I can do on vehicles. I did motor mounts on the MB, using an underhoist support jack, but that was really as far as i was comfortable going with a potential weight shift. I have had my car on Jackstands on the lift, but it was more as a way to "put the car away" as it was a multi day job i was doing, than working with it in the air. So suspension work is pretty much out of the question. But other undercarraige work and maintenance is good to go. No center bridge jack is availabe for this lift.

Its not really portable. And likely not all that attractive to resell. If we move, it will probably stay with the house, hopefully as a selling point. Ironically if i had a better layed out garage this wouldn't have been the lift I would have needed.

The aluminum ramps are big and heavy (in a good way). I no longer leave them attached in the air, so they take up a good bit of room elsewhere in the garage.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
    19633500GT, Eric C, JL350 and 6 others like this.
  11. Nel1

Nel1 Karting

Jul 11, 2012
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I have the 4.5 model and love it. Fantastic product. Great customer service as well.

A couple of items to consider:
    1) I got the version with a flatter base. I am glad that I did as some low profile vehicles might need the extra clearance. There was an extra charge for the flatter base but well worth it in my opinion.
    2) as others have mentioned, the ramps were very big and heavy. To be honest, I did not like them. I ended up returning them and buying a set of smaller Race Ramps that work great and are very light and easy to handle / storage.

Highly recommend this lift. Works great, looks cool and maximizes the space.

plastique999 likes this.
  12. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Can you post some pictures of the race ramps? Installed and with the Aluminum ones, if you still have them.

13. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    And where you purchased them too please.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Race ramps can be purchased off Amazon…make sure they are longer 3-4 feet for low front end cars.

AD211 likes this.
  15. Nel1

Nel1 Karting

Jul 11, 2012
    My garage is a bit short (HOA restrictions) so I got a short race ramp that is designed as a trailer ramp extension. I glued a piece of wood to fill the gap. Despite the fact that they are shorter and the angle is more pronounced, I have no issues getting the low profile cars on the platform.

I don’t have pictures of the metal ramps, they did not last long.

16. afsar

afsar Rookie

Sep 17, 2023
    I know this is a very old thread, but if you have a big garage, I say you go for one made by Ideal. This one is mobile and low profile, meaning it should be easy to install in your garage. The lift rise height is 72". Hope this helps.