Looking for a transport company | FerrariChat

Looking for a transport company

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by LostAussie, Aug 6, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LostAussie

LostAussie Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2013
    Woodinville, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for someone local who can transport my car.

The short version: Early last week I contracted with Passport to ship my shiny new/old 328 from Eugene up to Woodinville. I realize this is auction season, but I was told that it would be no problem, they had a guy who could do the pick up between the 31st and the 6th. Everything seemed good, but from Friday onwards their dispatcher has been dodging me, he hasn't bothered to return any of my calls or reply to my emails asking about the status of this order.

I was feeling a bit shafted, but a short search on these forums seemed to show that it's pretty common to get the runaround from transport companies, for whatever reason. Oh well, these things happen. In any case, a week has gone by, and I'm guessing that by now virtually all of the trucks are milling around at Monterey. Intercity told me they have nothing, I assume they're only interested in the CA -> East Coast routes for the next couple of weeks, and Reliable has told me it would be up to 4 weeks before they'd have a slot available.

I've been toying with the idea of flying down and driving the car back myself, but I believe that breaks the rule about not driving a newly purchased car home again, unless it's a short trip. This is a 5 hour drive, or 8 hours if I take the cool and twisty inland route to avoid I5. If the car was in Tacoma, or even Portland, I'd just go down and drive it back, but Eugene is just a little too far for a first trip.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows of a local outfit that might want to take this job, perhaps a reliable guy who runs a single vehicle truck with a liftgate, that would be ideal. We only get so many sunny days in Seattle, so it's such a shame to have my car sulking in a garage in Oregon when it could be exploring the cascades. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

2. Palermofazio

Palermofazio Karting

Oct 4, 2011
    burien
    Full Name:
    Cristoforo fazio
    drive it home,and enjoy the bonding of each other

3. LostAussie

Jun 13, 2013
    Woodinville, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    I'm sooo tempted...

4. grngts

grngts Karting

Jun 22, 2008
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Drive it.

5. LostAussie

Jun 13, 2013
    Woodinville, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Oh man, so much peer pressure.

I contacted Cats Exotics who told me they use Plycar for all of their deliveries, and as luck would have it Plycar has a slot still available on their truck that's coming through Oregon tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday morning. So it looks like I'll have my car by the weekend.

Thanks guys for your suggestions. Nearly there...

6. TacElf

TacElf Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 15, 2010
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I expect to see you at Redmond Town Center Saturday morning! :)

7. LostAussie

Jun 13, 2013
    Woodinville, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    If it arrives on Friday as expected, then yes I'll be there.

8. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    #8 Jonny Law, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
    Not sure if KAOSS is still hauling or not. He is back in Seattle last I herd. I'll drop a txt and see if he is.

Otherwise I would take advantage of the Pacific Coast Highway. Perfect time of year to take the long way home.

Update: Looks like KAOSS is no longer hauling.

9. flyngti

flyngti Formula 3

Jul 16, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Eric L
    Eugene to Woodinville? No question, I'd have taken the train down and driven it home. However, it looks like you're already taken care of so congratulations!

10. LostAussie

Jun 13, 2013
    Woodinville, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Damn, that's 4 for 4 telling me I should have driven home, I feel like such a wimp now.

Not to worry, the vehicle was picked up about an hour ago by Plycar, so I may be getting it delivered tomorrow if the gods are smiling.

11. kaoss

kaoss Formula 3

Jul 29, 2006
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    KAOSS
    Make that 5 for 5....Eugene is only 100 miles south of Portland. Easy drive, hour and a half if going the speed limit. Shoulda drove it home! LOL. You're in good hands all around, but nothing beats getting familiar with your new ride than driving it home on a good stretch for the first time. When I bought my Murcie, Roy met me in LA with a red Murcie he just bought and we drove back, coming up the 101 into San Fran and having a blast. Best way I could think of to get familiar with my new purchase, one of the best times of my life.

12. LostAussie

Jun 13, 2013
    Woodinville, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Oh man.

Actually, I'm 6 for 6. Although Jeff didn't mention it in this thread, he also told me privately that I should drive it home, he even offered to take the trip with me.

I'm such a wuss.

Car is landing at my place around 10am tomorrow apparently, so I'll definitely be able to make E@RTC on Saturday. Hope to see some of you there, look for the red 328GTS with the black interior.

13. LostAussie

Jun 13, 2013
    Woodinville, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    #13 LostAussie, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The car is now safely in my garage.

A big shout out to Plycar for their awesome, no-hassle service. They kept me in the loop the entire time, and when I turned up at the drop-off point at the scheduled time, the truck arrived two minutes later. Great service, I can't imagine using another transport company from now on. Sharing the ride was a 458 on its way to FOS and a really pretty MkII Jaguar.

I'll take a bunch of better photos tonight or tomorrow.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Congratulations on the safe arrival of your new toy!

15. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Glad it arrived in great condition. I never gave a long drive a second thought. Bought my car in SF and drove it back to Portland that day non-stop.

16. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'd like to know what this rule is against driving a newly purchased car home. I've always used the opposite rule, and ALWAYS drive it home.