Looking for a new (read BETTER) mechanic in the SFV | FerrariChat

Looking for a new (read BETTER) mechanic in the SFV

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by KraigG, Jun 17, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    After a whole week with my car, the new shop I tried didn't do a bit of work on my car. I called them on a daily basis, yet the only time they ever called me was to get an authorization for a $500 diagnostic charge for my fuel injection, and a $300 diagnosis charge for my A/C.
    Neither of these items were performed, and when I picked the car up and complained, I was told they needed "more time"!!!
    I paid a reduced (!) price of $250, and was given a free car wash coupon to appease me.

Any suggestions as to whom I should see in the Valley or close proximity?

TIA,
    Kraig

2. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    So people don't refer you to the same place again, what were the initials of this place?

3. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    MM. 'Nuff said!

4. s4dustin

s4dustin F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    what type of car

5. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    An 82 400i.

6. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Kraig,

I am suprised to hear about MM. They have/had a good reputation.

That being said, There are not every many independants in the Valley that can/will work on Ferrari's.

Stay FAR away from KK....FAR AWAY

If you want to drive a bit, there are some independants in WLA (one is slow, the other VERY slow to finish)

If you are looking at just getting the FI checked, Any good independant BMW/MB dealer can work on it. It's the same FI they used.

Any other good A/C shop can work on the a/c system.

Be creative. Auto Galley is another option.

7. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I believe Eric (lead mechanic) also owns a 400i. Good Luck.

8. Young

Young Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2005
    Home Town Buffet
    Full Name:
    R U Mr Pininfarina?
    I hope you find a great mechanic soon to get your 400i sorted out.

9. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    and a 308 QV and a 308GT4

10. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    and a Z06

11. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Ahh, Eric sounds like my kinda guy!

Thanks for the tips, I'll make some calls on Monday. The place I tried orignally is big on German car service, and knowing about the Bosch K-Jetronic on the 400i, I thought it would be the perfect place to take it. Turns out they're scared to touch it!

12. stuart

stuart Karting

Aug 13, 2003
    Hidden Hills.CA
    Full Name:
    Stuart Siegel
    I have had excellent service from the Auto Gallery and Eric is an outstanding mechanic and shows up at many Ferrari events.

13. PenP

PenP Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    What's with the "MM" and "KK" nonsense? What's the use of a forum like this if we can't be open and straight with each other? We should be naming names here. These shops should have to earn our business and I'm getting so sick of all the kiss-assing politics that seem to be involved in giving a business (a lot of) our hard-earned money to do their job properly just because they're in the Ferrari business. If a shop screws up, we should tell each other about it. Period. By name. If the shops don't like it – great, they can then improve their service. Look, I know that some of us may have friends who work at these places or friends who get work done at these places with no complaint, but, as long as we're not whining or filled with unrealistic expectations, we should be calling out the shops that screw us over or act like superior jerks. Also, we should call out the good shops, as long as it's not a shill.

14. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    I agree....

I've heard a lot of bad stories about poor or even fraudulent service. One of the 355's I long ago had PPI'd (prior to near purchase) had papers indicated the 30k-service was performed, yet the mechanic who did the PPI for me clearly could prove the engine was never taken-out/removed as original factory paint and other revealing/tell-tale signs indicated to the contrary....no way that timing-belt was changed!!

Another friend was billed for changing some belts and tensioner...it was never done and it blew-up on him. The same shop that did that work is now potentially caught for recently having done the same thing to yet another Ferrari owner....and this owner is seemingly content to just figure he was unlucky and just move on without suing or going after them. What does this tell the shop: screw people as you like, and hey....if ya get caught, 50% chance they'll just take it and walk away quietly. DUDE??????

Come on guys....we owe it to ourselves: good shops deserve praise & recognition...while bad shops deserve to burn burn BURN for their neglect, dishonesty and even fraudulent work. We as a community need to act as our own "Better Business Bureau" and use the threat of reporting as leverage for getting fair & reasonable treatment.

"Truth" is always and foremost a defense to being accussed of slander or defamation of charactor: if they screwed you, you have the right (and I dare say the obligation) to sing the facts & truth of the situation.

Are we so wealthy that we need to be bleed for services not performed or done incompetently? Are we to go quietly into the night with our broken cars sadly tucked away in our garages? Did we get where we are in lives by being chumps?.......

Shops take note: I have to work long and hard for my business to be successful and to make money. To this day I have ZERO complaints with the BBB or contractor state license board: I make my customers happy and perform good work....my reward is more referrals & success. My name is Steve R and if you do good work for me I'll sing your praises and spread the word to any and all.....BUT if you burn me or my friends, I'll torch your name on F-Chat and bring upon you a wraith of deserved ill reputation. No, It won't put you out of business...but it will hurt to some degree and over time it'll eat at you like dry-rot.

Here is our money; we only ask that you perform work in a timely professional manner and in an honest fashion. Are we asking too much? I think not.....

MM (Monaco Motors) wanted more to do my A/C then Auto Gallery...and Auto Gallery is factory Ferrari...does that make sense? Here's a solid A/C place in SFV that did an honest job on my 355 for about $115 including all services, refrigerant, leak detection, etc: name: Morgan 10217 Canoga Ave, Chatsworth 341-7312 can't recall the name, but A/C is all they do.

Somebody get me a ladder to climb off this darn soapbox, my ears are popping from the altitude! :)

15. PenP

PenP Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    Steve – thanks for getting on the bandwagon, except I want to know what shop did those things you mentioned – especially the shop that doesn't replace timing belts as contracted! It's the most annoying maintenence ritual/expense for those of us who have belt-drive-cam cars, mainly because there's always the feeling in the back of our heads that the belts would really last about 4x longer than they're supposed to... So to add massive insult to annoying injury, there's a shop that takes the money for this repair and doesn't even do it?!!! That shop should be flogged publically on this forum until they're either put out of business or the owner cleans house and makes a public apology on this site. Remember people, it's OUR money, WE are in control.

16. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    I didn't buy that car, only had it PPI'd....but I did call the shop that supposedly did the 30k-service and the guy told me he did change the timing belt. I don't recall the name of the shop, but it was down near Marina Del Rey...beyond that, I don't have a name.

Many shops will attempt to just "inspect" the belt...and if it looks good, they just stop there. This guy probably inspected it, figured it looked like new and ran with his deception of supposedly replacing it. I wouldn't doubt if the owner was in on it, the owner had his shady friend selling the car for him, how convienent: plausiable deniability!

Seems every problem car has a 3rd-party selling it, and every fraudulent shop has some nameless mechanic who deceived the honest/good manager into believing the work was performed, the old "opps" fallback.

17. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah

Well said.

18. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    I'll jump in here and tell you that a local tech has burned me and I know of at least three FChat guys and several others that have had similar experiences. The problem is that this person regularly comes to local events and I worry about retribution and legal consequences of stating his name and business in an open forum. His business ethics are so atrocious that I wouldn't put anything past him for some type of retaliation. It’s easy to stand on a soapbox and proclaim that this information should be openly shared unless, of course, you are the one that is going to get sued in our ridiculously litigious state. I did, however, PM the details to KraigG so he won't be another victim of this bottom feeder.

19. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    You know, I would have mentioned the shop by name, and loudly and clearly, if they had done something to mess my car up. But the fact was they didn't screw anything up, they just did nothing! Their main focus is German cars, and those customers were getting their cars in and out in a day or two. I got the whole story from the dissatisfied driver who picked me up and dropped me off.
    Maybe I'll try somewhere else. Maybe I'll be even more pissed off somewhere else, and have to return to the first shop, because perhaps in Ferrari ownership, you have to be thankful to just have someone let you bring your car in for service!
    Having been a domestic car owner for the most of my past 40+ years, I pretty much had my choice on where to bring my car. Not quite as easy with an Italian, and I certainly don't want to burn any bridges so early in the game.

Kraig

20. lee328gts

lee328gts Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2004
    planet earth
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Amen to to this thread and the rather large Ferrari horse outside of a certain's tech's house. I cannot recommend this shop to anyone here on fchat. I was actually warned by friends on this forum not to use him but by then it was to late and i already had given him a deposit. I gave him the benifit of the rumer and unfortionatly he lived up to exactly what i was warned about. Not only did he not live up to his original sales figures we had discussed over the phone but proceeded to over charge me. I even showed him what two of his competeters were going to charge and ignored me. At least Monaco and others tell you what the estimated charge will be. This tech is famous for trying to upsell his services while avoiding telling you how much he is going to charge you for the service you originally came in for. No written estimate needed at this shop, just his famous words "don't worry about".

21. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    So let me get this straight.....I have a Ferrari, and if I need service there are certain people I DEFINITELY don't want to take my car to....but nobody wants to name names...and so I just have to hope & prey I don't fall victim. Sheesh, this is worse then waiting for the next episode or season of LOST to start!

Just create another user-name and drop the name of the shop....the suspense & uncertainty is killing us.....

22. lee328gts

lee328gts Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2004
    planet earth
    Full Name:
    Lee

23. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Eugenio is a fantastic mechanic but, if I'm not istaken he only works on on V8's

24. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Yup

Erickson Auto in Ventura. Ask for Bill (805) 640-1461.

25. Dont_worry_about_it_buddy

BANNED

Jun 21, 2006
    #25 Dont_worry_about_it_buddy, Jun 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017