Looking at a 2017 Ghibli, are they reliable? | FerrariChat

Looking at a 2017 Ghibli, are they reliable?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by nofronts, Mar 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nofronts

nofronts Rookie

Mar 11, 2021
    Hi, I'm looking to get some knowledge and feedback about owning and maintaining a Maserati Ghibli. I'm looking at a 2017 and wanted to know how reliable the car is and how bad the service and maintenance bills are.

My last sports car was an BMW e46 M3. I loved the car but after 10 years I had to let it go because the reliability and service bills got out of control. The last thing I want to do is get into another money pit. I just want something im confident will start up, run, and not break down. With the M3 I was nervous each time I drove it that a dash light would come on and I'd be hit for another $2,000 repair bill.

I understand the service bills will be more expensive than a domestic car but I don't know anything about Maserati and if the bills are astronomical because it's a more unique car with less people who repair them.

I don't plan on doing any modifications to the car so what would I expect using it as a daily driver?

Lastly are there indy shops that work on Maserati or do you pretty much have to go to a dealer?

Any feedback on people's experience will be helpful before I pull the trigger on a Maserati.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA

The big question is where do you live in reference to independent and dealer access?

3. HCEdwards

HCEdwards Rookie

May 2, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Harry C Edwards

I purchased a Ghibli S Q4 new in June of 2014. It was intended to be my wife’s DD and she wanted all wheel drive. We found it to be very comfortable, especially on long trips. We loved the sound, and the driving feel. It reminded me of my first BMW, an ’86 535, because of its responsiveness.

I traded it in January of 2019 with about 45,000 miles. All service was performed by the dealer because I bought the prepaid service option. I replaced tires around 20k miles, and again around 39k. I found the dealer price for the tires to be better than the national chain I usually use. I also replaced a battery at around 40k miles, also by the dealer.

My car was trouble free for nearly all the time I owned it. My only issue was with the all wheel drive, which started blowing the 35 amp fuse whenever it rained at about 50 months of ownership. The dealership worked with me on this even though the car was out of warranty because they said it was an unusual issue.

I loved the car and wish we still had it but when the wife wants something else, you buy her something else.

There is also a GranCabrio in my garage and the dealer has performed all of the service in my six plus years of ownership. Like you, I have a BMW frame of reference. I have found the Maserati to be less expensive to service and maintain than my previous BMW’s.

Where you live will have a big impact on your ownership experience. If you are in a major market you will probably have a choice of dealers and independents for service. All dealers are different, and even the same dealer can get widely different reviews. Check out the car, and also the dealer.

My advice – buy a COP car from a dealer; and if possible, get a PPI from an independent.

Merak1974 and Nembo1777 like this.
  4. nofronts

nofronts Rookie

Mar 11, 2021
    Thanks for the replies! I would think anything would have to be more reliable than the m3 I had. I'm located in the Philadelphia suburbs so I'm hoping this is a competitive area for service and possibly a few indy shops.

If anyone has a reputable shop in the Philadelphia area please let me know!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    buy a CPO, take it to Main Line for service and warranty.