London RM auction 2008 | Page 7 | FerrariChat

London RM auction 2008

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by 275gtb6c, Oct 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Good question. I would only do so if the car at the auction is not available by any other way, which is most often not the case.

Onno

2. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Agreed. And if, like Oscar states, the buyers did indeed do their homework, they would have also known where to find the goods. The premium seems to be a high price to pay just to see your name in lights?

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks, Oscar.

I couldn't buy a car at auction unless I knew a lot about it ahead of time. On the other hand, I'm lucky to have a good friend who works for one of the premier houses, so....

4. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I'm afraid I don't understand. Are you saying the car had faulty brakes that were only discovered on your test drive, and that Mr Sheehan repaired them before Monterey? Or that all 275's had poor brakes, a la series 1 E-type Jaguar?

5. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    Buying at a Car Auction is not so bad and is in some times even better as long as you know what you are buying and at what price, you have more buyers who buy at dealers or private buyers which do a much worser deal, only tell afterwards how good the deal and the car is, and that is not the story at an auction everybody saw what you did.
    The Corvette at the RM auction was a steal, especially after the sale I spoke with the old owner to whom I sold a 275 gtb/4 a couple of years ago. Who told me that everything was matching and all the books and invoices where with the car, so that is a good car for the buyer at a very nice price.
    Also when you are interested in a car and stay around the car at the auctions viewing time, then you will know about everything you need to know about that car.
    Only when you do No homework and listen to nobody elses opinion about any article you want to buy on an auction, then it becomes a pokergame and you have to be a man and take your gains or losses.

To my opinion RM auction have done again a very good job at a bizarre time and have showed that it goes not only about money, but mostly about owning that one special car you have always dreamed about.

6. George J.

George J. Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2005
    Bay area, CA
    Full Name:
    George J
    The brakes were just at the end of there life when I bought it. I had the brakes redone, suspension rebuild, etc immediately after taking delivery. It would stop, but gradually and lots of pressure. After everything was done the car drove great; handling, feel, stopping, and oh that motor. I was aware of unrelated damage that was repaired prior to my ownership. Still, one of the great Ferrari's. I was coming from a BMW M1 which to this day is the nicest steering car I've driven (although modest aerodynamics in stock trim), plus terrific brakes. George

7. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Be interesting to see how Grand Sport 002 does at RM in AZ in a few months ...

8. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Fully agreed. I can only repeat again and again: Do your homework!
    Marcel Massini

9. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
  10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks Peter! Nice work!

11. Matthias Urban

Matthias Urban F1 World Champ

Mar 5, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias Urban
    Sorry for that error (one of 0,05 % so far). Will be corrected within the next edition. Thanks to you and Marcel for pointing this out.

Matthias

12. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Thanks for the information, Peter.