Like to hear new categories for automotive art and designer's stories of taking renderings home | FerrariChat

Like to hear new categories for automotive art and designer's stories of taking renderings home

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by bitzman, Feb 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Hello art fans:I wrote this article before but now am adding movie posters, I am leaving out books,videos, radiator mascots for future writing. Aybody got an opinion on what can be considered "art" in the car world? (you can scroll down to read it)

HOME - CLASSIC CARS - STRETCHING THE BOUNDARIES OF AUTOMOTIVE ART

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Ford GT40 Cutaway Drawing

Lamborghini Espada Cutaway

X-RAY VIEWS
    Like cutaways but with more bodywork on the car, unmasking the innards of only selected parts of the car, as in “let’s see an x-ray view of the engine compartment.”

BLUEPRINT DRAWING
    The least satisfying, in my view, are the blueprint drawings, the ones with front view, rear view, direct side, even top of the car. Yet these are invaluable in trying to think of refitting another body, or just how things look from a strictly mechanical point of view. Some cars believe it or not, are beautiful even in a blueprint drawing!

Lamborghini Blueprint

DESIGN RENDERINGS
    In the pre-computer days Detroit automakers would periodically take thousands of proposed drawings for, say, the ’67 Eldorado, and haul them to the dumpster once that model is in production. Very few drawings were secreted out, and now that we are in the age of computers, designers are forbidden to print out their own work,

even if it's for their own use. With the result that old time design renderings are now collectible, particulrly when they can be identified as being an early drwing of a car that was "green-lighted" for production.

Pontiac Solstice Concept

Among the most prized are drawings of exotic cars done by now famous designers like Guigaro. Recent auctions of the contents of the bankrupt Bertone Carrozzeria has put a fresh batch of original drawings onto the collector market, and made more car collectors realize how important these drawings are, as they represent the cr aas originally designed, not the way it was produced with many a compromise on the original design..

Iso Rivolta GT – Art by Giorgetto Giugiaro

Modern automakers sometimes hand out drawings of a new car at its preview, I remember getting drawings of the Ferrari Enzo right from the artist’s hands at a major auto show. But most of the time automakers are justifiably wary about promoting one artist above the others,as it leads to jealousy in the ranks (the last time I remember an American automaker promoting one designer over others was Camilo Pardo, designer of the ’05-’06 Ford GT), who,after he retired from Ford, still sells paintngs of the Ford GT.

MANUFACTURER’S SCALE MODELS
    I don’t know if they still make them but in the Fifties I saw several scale models of prototypes, painted like a real car except the windows on roofed cars were blacked out. I would think one such model from an automaker that went on to be produced as a real car would be a real collector’s item

MOVIE POSTERS

There are few Hollywood movies about cars but 2019 saw Ford v. Ferrari.So far I count five posters, some very bleak with no action and the others traditional car movie posters showing the cars in action.

Lamborghini Espada Cutaway

X-RAY VIEWS
    Like cutaways but with more bodywork on the car, unmasking the innards of only selected parts of the car, as in “let’s see an x-ray view of the engine compartment.”

BLUEPRINT DRAWING
    The least satisfying, in my view, are the blueprint drawings, the ones with front view, rear view, direct side, even top of the car. Yet these are invaluable in trying to think of refitting another body, or just how things look from a strictly mechanical point of view. Some cars believe it or not, are beautiful even in a blueprint drawing!

Lamborghini Blueprint

DESIGN RENDERINGS
    In the pre-computer days Detroit automakers would periodically take thousands of proposed drawings for, say, the ’67 Eldorado, and haul them to the dumpster once that model is in production. Very few drawings were secreted out, and now that we are in the age of computers, designers are forbidden to print out their own work,

even if it's for their own use. With the result that old time design renderings are now collectible, particulrly when they can be identified as being an early drwing of a car that was "green-lighted" for production.

Pontiac Solstice Concept

Among the most prized are drawings of exotic cars done by now famous designers like Guigaro. Recent auctions of the contents of the bankrupt Bertone Carrozzeria has put a fresh batch of original drawings onto the collector market, and made more car collectors realize how important these drawings are, as they represent the cr aas originally designed, not the way it was produced with many a compromise on the original design..

Iso Rivolta GT – Art by Giorgetto Giugiaro

Modern automakers sometimes hand out drawings of a new car at its preview, I remember getting drawings of the Ferrari Enzo right from the artist’s hands at a major auto show. But most of the time automakers are justifiably wary about promoting one artist above the others,as it leads to jealousy in the ranks (the last time I remember an American automaker promoting one designer over others was Camilo Pardo, designer of the ’05-’06 Ford GT), who,after he retired from Ford, still sells paintngs of the Ford GT.

MANUFACTURER’S SCALE MODELS
    I don’t know if they still make them but in the Fifties I saw several scale models of prototypes, painted like a real car except the windows on roofed cars were blacked out. I would think one such model from an automaker that went on to be produced as a real car would be a real collector’s item

MOVIE POSTERS

There are few Hollywood movies about cars but 2019 saw Ford v. Ferrari.So far I count five posters, some very bleak with no action and the others traditional car movie posters showing the cars in action.

Qvb likes this.