Life with the 412 AND 400i...Day one | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Life with the 412 AND 400i...Day one

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by full_garage, Feb 28, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    No apologies needed- The passion for these cars is why we're here!!

DO drive a Series I auto before you buy though.... Everyone has different feelings about the performance of the autos- so you really need to see if it's something you like. Just like a TR- once you own one you're left wanting more speed, more noise and more performance to match the outrageous look.

The hunt is TOUGH in the States- so few cars... most with dealers... most have traveled less than a few hundred miles in the past three or four years. I promise you...the next four months will uncover a lot of cars. Try and get to see the car prior to purchase- I DO NOT recommend a $30K purchase for one of these over the phone or ebay- You're looking for a really old car- and a good one- shiny paint, spotless engine compartment, fresh looking and SMELLING interior- is a pure and wonderful thing. An old, tired 400i with old buffed-up paint, pitted glass, stiff worn leather, soiled smelly carpets and that "Old Ferrari" stench of mildew/exhaust fumes/gasoline/carpet shampoo is a wholly unsatisfying car. ANY old Ferrari with dim headlights, dead windows, dead wipers, slow or dead turn signals etc... just sucks to own... I finally had to bail on my 308 rather than rip the car apart and install a new fuse panel and wiring loom.

Call around to all the Independent Ferrari shops and Service Departments of the major dealers- I was able to uncover a lot of cars that were not "Officially" for sale... If my memory is correct there are two in Scottsdale that might be available- call over to the dealer- I spoke to them last September...

Mechanics don't like these cars because most owners are "Bottom Feeders" who bought the car ONLY for the badge on the nose. So to bring the car in, put it up on the lift then quote $5600 to fix a bunch of little problems is pointless, cause the guy won't pay- or to do the typical Ferrari thing, just fix it and expect the owner to fork over the dough- also pointless. My independent knows I do all the basic stuff myself- and when I bring it to him I want it done RIGHT. I fully expect to spent MORE than the purchase price in routine service and maintenance and repairs over the next 5-6 years...price of admission. That's why so many of the ebay cars are best described as "Tired smoker with some rust".

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

jay,

you look to have two lovely examples. i would ask if you ever decide to sell either and that if they stay in the condition that they currently appear...i would love to have option.

you seem meticulous and really know what a ""like new" or "pristine" should look like.

i have always loved these cars.

best,

pcb

3. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Pete-

Funny how these things go- Both of these cars were on the market for a long time- Obviously at much higher prices then i eventually paid, but still available.

Once someone gets them in hand and is able to really report on what's good and what's bad- a new market develops. We need a 400/412 clearinghouse- where we buy EVERY car on the market- do a detailed report and then find a new home for it- PPI's are woefully inadequate on these cars- You need to live a week with one example to know what it has going for it and what it needs.

Today I couldn't wait for my appointment with the muffler guy so I got the car up on four jackstands (The white 400i) got the exhaust off the car- removed, straightened and replaced the heat shield with what felt like a million new pop rivets, then hung the exhaust where it looked good and through a combination of bending the mounting tabs and pre-heating the exhaust hangars- got it to hang perfectly with no body rubbing. WOW what a difference- still loud as hell- but the droning is mostly gone- I can cruise in relative quiet on the highway- around town it's LOUD but good... I would hate to lose the instant throttle response I get with this free flow exhaust- the ANSA system on my 412 is rich and throaty but about 1/3 the volume- but the car cannot compare to the Stebro equipped car for throttle response. It's almost as loud as my 355- but with all that BASS that the V8s don't have.

Filled the car up and no real gas smell- so I think we're all good. So now I have tackled every single problem with the car- nothing left to complain to my mechanic about- Guess I'll just have to driver her!

4. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    An old, tired 400i with old buffed-up paint, pitted glass, stiff worn leather, soiled smelly carpets and that "Old Ferrari" stench of mildew/exhaust fumes/gasoline/carpet shampoo is a wholly unsatisfying car.

I have followed your hunt from the beginning of the thread and I too congratulate you on your success and happiness!

I must also say that you are a wonderful journalist. It has been fun to read your reactions to the cars as they arrive. Being an F-car guy must have helped a lot. I was nervous about the mere name of the car and more nervous about its components when I picked up mine. Thankfully I did not have the experience quoted above. I did have the exact experience you have described with your 412.

Mine also has a brisk transmission. I suspect the "shift kit" was installed by GM in all of these units. And bullet proof units they are. The TH-400 has been used in Off Road Truck Racing for years with great success. In races like the Baja 1000 they are driven as though they are manuals with a lot of full power up and down shifts.

Keep the journal going for us, its a great read,

Greg

5. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #30 full_garage, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Greg-

Thanks I'll do my best- One of the dealers who sold a very nice 412 auto last year told me the 88-89 model year had the "Tweaked" tranny- Mine simply has a Transgo shift kit installed- from the look of the plate it appears to be similar to this one- Springs and plates- You drill out the holes to match the feel you want- $69 and you can do it at home. I think it is possible that this is a factory installed item- but from what I saw on the lift it appears someone added this. As fun as my 400i 5-speed is i am fairly certain the 412 is faster on the road- From a standstill of course the stick shift kills it- but highway passing is a laugh-out-loud thrill-ride with the 412.

Your 400i of course looks wonderful- and you and I can agree the dark maroon interior (It's not quite red) gives the car an air of elegance that NO OTHER color can match.

Oddly enough every single car that I dreamed of while picking up my Chevy at the Avis rental car counter- only to have my hopes dashed when I pulled up at the "Premium luxury" dealership, sold within one week of my viewing. I would imagine every one was an internet or ebay sale- cause in the flesh a beat 400i is a sad car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Hello again,
    I forgot to mention that I'd figured out that the tires on my 400i were also OEM and "hard as diamonds". I talked with the Coker folks at the SEMA Show and they confirmed my suspicions.
    I bought all five replacements from Coker and the four on the ground transformed the car.
    You will not believe the difference.
    Greg

7. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    the cars look great Jay...again, i think the 400i 'pulls off' white well enough and the colour of the 412 is gorgeous.

you're doing great work, keep it up !

8. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Thanks Brett-

As with all of my cars- I'm going to try and fix everything I can fix, and do the mods needed to make the cars liveable on a daily basis- before spending $105/hr. for service work.

When i sell a car people always want to see years of receipts- When I say that I've done almost all the work myself they seem to find this odd- and to some it devalues the car.

Could care less about value- I like fixing stuff.

9. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    The ways that owner servicing reduces the value IMO is if the owner doesn't have the receipts for the parts to back up the fluid changes and other work performed, gives off a vibe that doesn't seem to fit being able to perform that work to an acceptable standard, or both. A few minutes talking with the seller can often give you pretty good clues about his capabilities and work ethic. Of course this only works when you are buying from the person that performed the work. One or more steps removed and the value of the information decreases rapidly.

Also, the complexity of the work performed can have a bearing on how owner performed work is valued. I feel pretty comfortable with oil and other fluid changes, brake pads and discs and that sort of fairly simple work if the person can back it up. I would get a lot more nervous if someone told me that they did a complete engine rebuild.

In my book for the 400i I keep "work orders" for the work that I have done myself with a description of the work, the parts with numbers, prices and sources, along with the actual receipts for the filters, oil, brake pads, etc. These go right into the service file along with the receipts from outside shops that have performed work in chronological order so that I (and anyone else) can see what work has been done and when.

Unfortunately some owner serviced cars suffer from serious shortcuts, with the most prevalent area being in the electrical system, and bodges, but these should become apparent in the PPI.

10. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Wow you're WAY more organized then I am.

Usually if there's no receipt I assume it was not fixed or fixed incorrectly- especially with Ferraris. I would hope if I ever sell any of my F cars it would be to someone on this forum- who would be able to see the work done from the forum.

But if you buy one of these with any thoughts of selling it down the road... you need your head examined- gotta buy one cause you love it!

11. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    The organization is to help me with my faulty memory and besides, I like to keep track of stuff like that.

12. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day John,

Indeed, documentation/organization speaks volumes and does not "fade" like memories do over time. In all of my cars, I have a simple spread sheet that details all of the items purchased or work done and includes the date, mileage, and price of each item... This way I have a running total of my costs into the car as well as a detailed chronology of the car's history while in my possession. Secondly, I always keep a small notepad in the glove-box for notes or incidentals along the way. Doing these things cannot hurt the value of the car, makes it easy to document its history, and only take a few moments of your time.

Cheers,

Sam

13. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    :)

14. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I have done all my own work for 5 years except AC and upholstery (but I removed pieces to be worked on at shop). I keep a detailed maintenance log. Date, part numbers work done, some dirty little secrets of mine or of the DPO. I have a parallel log of cost with date, supplier, cost and part description or number. I keep some key receipts especially a rare item I may need again. If I sell my car the log book will be essential reading for the new owner.

I have done this for three street cars and multiple race cars in the distant past. It is amazing how many times I look back in the notes for work and parts.
    Ken